Black River and Western & New Hope and Ivyland 5/16/2009

kaback9

Could you PLEASE let me know of any steam train excursions like this one in the NYC area. I am really wanting to ride a steam train and take a pic with a working steam loco! I will drive or take mass transit to it and enjoy the experience. I know I will never see a 4-6-4 Hudson but this is close enough... I thank you in advance Brandon.... I really appreciate it.

Alberto.

Excursion or just Steam powered trains?

Excursion to me is heading out to PA to watch RBMN 425(which was my original plan but due to a scheduling conflict later in the day would make impossible) or when UP or someone sends a steam loco on a tour.

Steam powered to me is Strasburg, NH&I, BRW(when # 60 comes back) or NYSWTHS 142. In NY State there are some as well. PA however is the Steam State IMHO for the North East. The drive out to Strasburg or Scranton (if a steam excursion is running in Scranton) maybe in order. Strasburg is great as you also have the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania which is home to some fine Steam examples and a beautiful GG1 not to mention right across the way is the Strasburg Railroad with its live steam tourist trains through Pennsylvania Dutch Country. A trip out there can be a weekend event as you can do one each day especially if your like myself and want to spend one day chasing(if you drive out). Also I believe its accessible by Amtrak and Shuttle Bus.

Nice! You ever try triumph grill, it's right across from the new hope station building across the tracks in a shopping center. Excellent food & great fun watching them do their thing from the outdoor table area!

Nice diesel action in NJ also, my grandpa used to volunteer for them way back in the day.

Funny both of these lines (the tracks) i've seen endless times, especially NH&I, and a few times the crossing gates go down on a back country lane only to be a precursor to the orchestra of kids and parents laughing and having a grand old time while the steamer sings its song rolling along. ;)

- A

Thank You!

I have been to many restaurants in New Hope, but not the one you mention, I will have to go back and try it!

:tup::cool:

Try the fried kalamari side. :tup:

- A

Archived