Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
mark1447

ATO on Canarsie Line

I notice like every weekend (sometimes) , i see the (L) with T/O and C/Rs, i thought that during weekends trains run automatically with out crew? When does it run by its self then? Unless im getting something wrong.

Thanks!

ATO= Automatic Train Operation

They never run alone. The T/O is there in case there is a need for the train to be placed in manual control. The C/R is on the train for safety reasons and union contract prohibiting the MTA from removing them.

The (L) when under ATO operation is like the Washington Metro or the SF BART. The T/O acts as a supervisior in case crap happens. When something is wrong with the system or something happens en route, the T/O switches back to manual operation and runs the train.

They never run alone. The T/O is there in case there is a need for the train to be placed in manual control. The C/R is on the train for safety reasons and union contract prohibiting the MTA from removing them.

More importantly the C/R is there to do his job and work the doors!!!!!

More importantly the C/R is there to do his job and work the doors!!!!!

The R160s have a computer display indicating whether or not all the doors are fully locked. I'm all for having conductors on the (L) line, but the driver has the full ability to open and close the doors by himself and make sure they do close regardless of the track formation.

The R160s have a computer display indicating whether or not all the doors are fully locked. I'm all for having conductors on the (L) line, but the driver has the full ability to open and close the doors by himself and make sure they do close regardless of the track formation.

However, you don't expect the T/O to look 480 feet to see who's still getting on. A C/R could see who's getting on and off much more clearly at the middle. He has to look 240 feet in each direction. Not that bad.

oh, so this mean that the crews will be there for good? I could of swarn that it was gonna be with out crew..

What if the T/O were to take over manually , if there wasnt a problem.(Just an example), he/she would get in trouble?

Well it's still prohibited in the contract to remove the C/R :). Will the computer save you if it drags you if you get something caught by the train as it leaves? Will the computer save you if you are in the rear or middle of the train and need assistance for whatever reason, be it medically or safety and the T/O can't reach you in time or is busy watching the train operate? The C/R should stay where he belongs, in the middle of the train :)

That's NOT a T/O's job. When you take this job you have a job description in the civil service title. Please don't tell me about what any of the equipment has or doesn't have because you don't know what you're talking about!!!

Even in full fledged ATO, there will always be a T/O on board because the train is manually operated for the first stop. So full-fledged ATO only exists between 6 Av and East 105 St.

That's NOT a T/O's job. When you take this job you have a job description in the civil service title. Please don't tell me about what any of the equipment has or doesn't have because you don't know what you're talking about!!!

Well if he doesn't know what he's talking about...well, let's just say that even a broken clock is right twice a day. True the T/O has the ability, but it doesn't mean that he has to use it.

FYI. Trains operating ATO will AWAYS have a T/O & C/R on them. There are saftey considerations ie: BIE, sick customer, 12-2/12-3, evacuation etc. How long do you think it takes a TSS to respond to any problem that will happen. In as much as the (MTA) would love to see a crewless train , it ain't happin'in. :tdown:

Be safe out there.

(NJT) :nec: :septa:

Why is that?

Taking a wild guess - To make sure the systems are working properly to let the computer take over. On top of that, you have the brakes and other tests to do when you're pulling out.