Lack of capital funds for NYC transit a concern

Maserati7200

why spend all this money on something people don't care about.

Excuse me if you don't care about it, but I, and a lot of other people do care about it. Me knowing exactly when the train is coming is good because that way I could change my transit plans if I want to easily. Example, I'm on the (F)(V) station at 14th street. I have to get to 8th Avenue, should I walk or take the (L)? Is the (L) close enough for me to take it and get there faster than walking, or is it 10 minutes away, longer than the walk?

Yeah, you could actually detect where the original crossover was. When 8th Avenue opened, it had IND styled tiles, I heard.

I think that is beacuse it was built by the IND, I think the tile band was blue too.

Excuse me if you don't care about it, but I, and a lot of other people do care about it. Me knowing exactly when the train is coming is good because that way I could change my transit plans if I want to easily. Example, I'm on the (F)(V) station at 14th street. I have to get to 8th Avenue, should I walk or take the (L)? Is the (L) close enough for me to take it and get there faster than walking, or is it 10 minutes away, longer than the walk?

I feel a system like this is more of a luxury then a necessity. It ok if you don't feel that way, but I personally think there are better ways to spend the money such as track improvements, station rehabs, and other repairs that are desperately needed. But again, thats just me.

I feel a system like this is more of a luxury then a necessity. It ok if you don't feel that way, but I personally think there are better ways to spend the money such as track improvements, station rehabs, and other repairs that are desperately needed. But again, thats just me.

If the MTA is a spendthrift on new tech this and that, we might experience stuff like 18th Avenue. I'm sure everyone remembered what happened there.

If the MTA is a spendthrift on new tech this and that, we might experience stuff like 18th Avenue. I'm sure everyone remembered what happened there.

Exactly, how about the (MTA) spend some $$$ on tie, rails, cement, and the other niceties of railroading. These TLC things and screens that tell you when the next train are coming are nice for sure, but the system is still in a state of disrepair.

Exactly, how about the (MTA) spend some $$$ on tie, rails, cement, and the other niceties of railroading.

These things are better for the overall community. You think folks near el lines want to put up with the noise every night? Make the tracks low-vibe and add sound mitigation materials.

Exactly, how about the (MTA) spend some $$$ on tie, rails, cement, and the other niceties of railroading. These TLC things and screens that tell you when the next train are coming are nice for sure, but the system is still in a state of disrepair.

:tup:

- A

These things are better for the overall community. You think folks near el lines want to put up with the noise every night? Make the tracks low-vibe and add sound mitigation materials.

The (MTA) has the tech for this, they have been testing them on the Culver between West 8th and Neptune Ave.

Well its their choice to live close or near by elevated stations.

You sumed everything up nicely. Everybody needs to keep in mind that the NYC Tranist System is old and antiquated.

Old, yes but I would not say antiquated as it still works. The 70's and 80's were hell on the subway and so has every economic downturn. For some odd reason, any time money is tight, it affects the subway even though millions depend on it to get them where they need to go (such as getting to work). Had the Great Depression not happened and the second sytem was built, the system would not have GOs every weekend just to keep it running and we might even have money for all the TLC, CBTC, ATC, and ATO you can handel.

Old, yes but I would not say antiquated as it still works. The 70's and 80's were hell on the subway and so has every economic downturn. For some odd reason, any time money is tight, it affects the subway even though millions depend on it to get them where they need to go (such as getting to work). Had the Great Depression not happened and the second sytem was built, the system would not have GOs every weekend just to keep it running and we might even have money for all the TLC, CBTC, ATC, and ATO you can handel.

That's because instead of secure dedicated funding, the MTA gets a lot of its money from taxes and what not which are tied to the NY economy. And as has been done and continues to be done by those who want to "gentrify" the whole city and bring in MORE suits and "financial services" types, that means the economy is now more and more tied to the damn stock market, which means if the stock market tanks, the whole city goes to hell, and NYCT suddenly is in deficit city.

Well its their choice to live close or near by elevated stations.

I wouldn't go as far a saying that. What if the only place they can afford to pay rent is for a place near an elevated line? What if they are disabled and are on section 8 and they are placed there by the government. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions and assume that they freely chose to live there. :(

Archived