Photo Coverage: Aftermath of a Chinatown Supermarket Fire

On the evening of 14 May 2009, a fire broke out at 109 East Broadway in Chinatown. The building is a mix of retail, commercial and residential. The fire consumed the 5 storey building, causing smoke to billow from all sides. The Chnatown branch of the Hong Kong Supermarket, the oldest Chinese run supermarket in Chinatown, was totally destroyed by the fire. No deaths were reported, however 3 firefighters were in critical condition due to smoke inhalation. The NYPD, NYFD and the OEM closed off Pike Street southbound from Division Street to Henry Street. East Broadway in both directions from Pike Street to Forsyth Street. Bus changes were inevitable.

As of 3PM, Friday, 15 may 2009, the entire building collapsed due to weakened supports. The building collapsed inward.

M22: All traffic in both directions will run down Madison Street. Eastbound buses should run normal service. Westbound buses will probably turn on St James Place to Worth Street and continue.

M9: Majinvegata has better coverage on this line

M15: Southbuses will turn on Division Street after Allen Street, then on Forsyth Street to East Broadway. It will then follow the M9 route down St James Place to South Ferry.

Now for the photo coverage:

DSC03744.jpg

DSC03745.jpg

DSC03746.jpg

DSC03747.jpg

DSC03748.jpg

DSC03749.jpg

DSC03750.jpg

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03752.jpg

DSC03753.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03755.jpg

DSC03756.jpg

DSC03757.jpg

DSC03758.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

DSC03760.jpg

DSC03761.jpg

DSC03762.jpg

DSC03763.jpg

DSC03764.jpg

DSC03765.jpg

DSC03766.jpg

DSC03767.jpg

DSC03768.jpg

DSC03769.jpg

quite sad. i remember going here often when i was 5-8 years old.

LOL, I remember going there everyday when I was a kid. I was entertained by the butchers.

The last time I went there was a year ago, when I bought a canteen for my food. My mum went there everyday, she recalled going there the morning of the incident.

........damn wasn't that like one of the original hong kong supermarkets??

This is the original Hong Kong Supermarket. This, I believe, opened in 1994. Another major supermarket is part of the same group as HKS. That one is called Man Cheong Supermarket, which is on Hester and Elizabeth. It recently merged and became HKS as well.

This is the original Hong Kong Supermarket. This, I believe, opened in 1994. Another major supermarket is part of the same group as HKS. That one is called Man Cheong Supermarket, which is on Hester and Elizabeth. It recently merged and became HKS as well.

Correct. Man Cheong's market always smelled funny everytime I went there.

I went to the one in East Broadway & Allen to buy their bags of rice, pretty decent price. and lasts for quite a long time! And the fact that the market structure + building above was over 50 years old....the old wood structures makes it very vulnerable and susceptible to the flames, making it a four degree/alarm fire. Its so saddening to see a piece of Chinatown's History to be destroyed in such an unfortunate way, I've lived here for almost 11 years, 7 in Queens, and it sucks to see this gone,

Correct. Man Cheong's market always smelled funny everytime I went there.

I went to the one in East Broadway & Allen to buy their bags of rice, pretty decent price. and lasts for quite a long time! And the fact that the market structure + building above was over 50 years old....the old wood structures makes it very vulnerable and susceptible to the flames, making it a four degree/alarm fire. Its so saddening to see a piece of Chinatown's History to be destroyed in such an unfortunate way, I've lived here for almost 11 years, 7 in Queens, and it sucks to see this gone,

From my observations of the building, while it stood, there are no windows facing Pike Street. This allows me to conclude that there was a building next to 109 East Broadway. However it was demolished to expand the width of Pike Street. If my hypothesis is correct, this building is not even 50 years old, it may as well be around since the beginning of the century!

Archived