What would you do if all the subways were destroyed and they had to be rebuilt?

Jashawn R.

(In other words, this is a thread where you could reorganize the system in any way possible without making any new lines - basically correct any operational deficiencies)

1. Build all IRT lines to BMT specs (and IND planning)

2. There would be no Woodlawn line. The (4) would run down Grand concourse, and either the (4) and the (:)(D) would be local. Actually, there would be no (4), they'd probably call it the (y) or something...

3. Build the Jamaica Ave. line all the way down Jamaica Ave. east of Broadway Junction all the way to 168th St. (before the Archer Ave. line) with a connection to the (E) at Jamaica-Van Wyck

4. Myrtle Ave. would be a flying junction

5. Rogers Ave. would be a flying junction

6. The Pelham line would have a connection to the SAS

7. The (J)(M)(Z) would be a two track line in Lower Manhattan

8. All Els would be four-tracked, except where space doesn't allow or where it's not necessary (i.e. Myrtle Ave. line)

9. All stub-end terminals would be rebuilt to have relay tracks at the end

10. The BMT Eastern Division would be built to handle 600' trains and 75-foot long cars

That's all I can think of right now. More to come soon.

though i agree with all elevated lines to go from 3 to 4 track i dont think id change the system too much, i like it as it is so that said there is one change id make, the (D)&(M) would return to brighton to join the (Q), since the system was destroyed during a big fight between Goku & Majin Buu id need brand new subway cars that are exact replicas of R32,38,40s,40m,42's,46's,68's along with R160's but with some of the modern specs the IRT's would get R62's for the (1)(3)(4)(6)(7) the (2)&(5) would get R33 replicas, with some others sprinkled on the (3)(4)&(6)

Interesting topic here: If the subways had to be rebuilt, I'd widen the IRT specifications to that of the BMT/IND just like what others have suggested already. I'd replace the R142/A with NTT cars similar to the R160 subway car series. The R62/A cars would be replaced with R68s. I'd rebuild the subway exactly as it was, except that all subway lines use cars to BMT/IND specifications.

R160 on (2)(4)(5)(6)

R68 on (1)(3)(7) and (S)42nd Street Shuttle

Have the (2)(5) go to Sheepshead Bay

Join the (A) with the (1) to Van Courtlandt Park

Join the (D) with the (5) to Dyre Avenue.

Extend the Rockaway Park Shuttle (S), rename it (H) and have to go to Jackson Heights Roosevelt Avenue, using the abandoned LIRR tracks

Make the (T) go along 2nd Avenue to the Bronx.

That's all I have to say, some ideas I can think of in my head. Some might seem silly, so please if you want to criticize me, be polite about it. :tup:

I'd actually build everything underground, 4-tracked (and maybe 6 or 8 for QBL and other lines that gets congested all the time) to division B standards. Build more escalators and elevators, and platforms would be wider, add the "next train and minutes" displays.

As for the major transfer stations (Canal, 14, 34, 42, Bway-Nassau, Atl-Pac, etc), I'll try to build the platforms for each line on top of each other, so transfer is easier and can be done by simply going up or down on a escalator.

That's it for now.

Rebuild everything to B division spec. Remove all elevated lines where possible and replace with subway or combine with nearby lines ie; Concourse-Jerome. Finish the IND Second System while modifying it where needed to reflect what's needed today. Build new North/South lines for cross-Brooklyn and cross-Queens service which is sorely needed. Extend the (A)/(1) to the Westchester border and the QBL trains to the Nassau line.

To be honest though, if an apolycalptic scenario takes place and all of the subways are destroyed. Won't we be obliterated and significant parts of the city as well? Who is left to resurrect the city and the subway system?

This is a hypothetical question...

Hypothetically Speaking, there would be no elevated subway routes. All would be underground due to the fact that elevated routes aren't noise friendly.

They can, with noise mitigation. There are noise barriers and screens set up around several parts of overground sections on the MTR. Plus, building els on concrete viaducts would help reduce noise and vibrations as well.

Actually, if the (MTA) got the chance, I'm sure they would try to build as many els as possible (except not in Manhattan or NIMBY Queens). Els are cheaper to build and can probably be built faster as well. El stations might cost less to maintain too, since they don't have water damage issues...

- The Nostrand Avenue line (2)(5) will extend to Avenue Z.

-The Eastern Parkway Express (4) would have a line of its own, the Utica Avenue line

-The (A) would join the (1) to Van Cortlandt Park. The (C) will extend to 225 Street. That will be a terminal station

-The Third Avenue El would be rebuilt, the (5) will run on it until 138 Street and connect with the (6).

-The Concourse line would be I.R.T with four tracks. The (2)(3)(4) lines would run on it. The (2) and (4) express. The (3) local.

-The 6 Av Express lines would turn at 125 Street as a crosstown, then to the bronx via The White Plains Road line. The (D) to 241 Street and the (:D to Dyre.

Some of these ideas may seen silly

Actually, if the (MTA) got the chance, I'm sure they would try to build as many els as possible (except not in Manhattan or NIMBY Queens). Els are cheaper to build and can probably be built faster as well. El stations might cost less to maintain too, since they don't have water damage issues...

Very true. In fact, if they are looking to expand, the first thing they would do is, take over existing disused right-of-ways and turn them into subway traffic. Such as the case with the RX line. There is also a plan to turn the Atlantic Branch to subway. The recently much discussed Rockaway Branch was a priority back then. The E and the J were to hit Eastern and Southeastern Queens via LIRR tracks etc... After taking over existing ROWs wherever possible, they would most likely construct els in the outer boroughs since they are cheap and easier to maintain than a subway.

- The Nostrand Avenue line (2)(5) will extend to Avenue Z.

-The Eastern Parkway Express (4) would have a line of its own, the Utica Avenue line

-The (A) would join the (1) to Van Cortlandt Park. The (C) will extend to 225 Street. That will be a terminal station

-The Third Avenue El would be rebuilt, the (5) will run on it until 138 Street and connect with the (6).

-The Concourse line would be I.R.T with four tracks. The (2)(3)(4) lines would run on it.

-The 6 Av Express lines would turn at 125 Street as a crosstown, then to the bronx via The White Plains Road line. The (D) to 241 Street and the (:( to Dyre.

So of these ideas may seen silly

I won't make the Concourse an IRT line. Look at the IRT dimensions, they really have a limited capacity. A Division B standard line would be more flexible.

As for my plans, get rid of the Crescent Street Curve. Split the Jamaica El into two. Construct a line that hooks up directly from Broadway Junction to Cypress Hills down Jamaica El. All Jamaica services will use this line. The Fulton Street line from Broadway Junction to Crescent Street will be extended down for a couple miles.

Archived