G'day

Windy

Howdy all!

The name is Winston, although my nickname is "Windy". Posting here from Sydney, Australia. My main interest in the US would be any Detroit 8-71 or 8v92tta DDEC power, MCI MC-7s or MC-9s and the ubiquitous RTS. I have ridden the Los Angeles RTD (I think it's called) with their fleet of RTS' and in San Francisco with the RTS units from Golden Gate and MUNI's MAN SG192 artics and their varied fleet. I'm pretty sure those M.A.Ns are long gone as this trip was back in 1990, when I was 7 years old (I'll let you do the maths as to my age). I've always had an appreciation for a properly driven Spicer or Roadranger coupled to a GM or Caterpillar engine, and still quite enthused with the 3208 V8 and the more recent C7/C9/C13 range, although sadly these engines won't be in transits (we know them as buses here) and buses (we know them as coaches here). Anyway, I'm hoping to hit up North America and capture the Toronto Fishbowls, and any other suitable old buses that are knocking around the place. Do any Fishbowls still live on in the US? Either in regular service or in preservation? Any tips as to where I can go to find them would be awesome...

I probably won't contribute too much unless it's something related to basic mechanics, I have operational experience when it comes to service frequencies and scheduling, but again, it isn't likely to be relevant ;) So I'll mostly be lurking!

I have an interest in European chassis, and currently own several buses, being 1 Bedford VAM70, 1 AEC Merlin (ex London Transport), a Leyland Leopard, and a Mercedes Benz O305 (ex Hong Kong double decker). I have spent some time in London and travelled around parts of Europe, but Australia has a good variety of American and European running gear, so we definitely have the best of both worlds!

Latest new line is the Epping-Chatswood Rail Link (half the length, half the stations, double the budget).

Clearways project has had some success and alot of stillbirths as well. New terminating platform at Hornsby is near completion. Other work including a new freight line on the Main Southern Line has stalled. Delays on the new rolling stock which are built in China, and the Metro has turned into a huge farce for the public (although most insiders knew it was a band-aid/announce something newsworthy to cover up the real doom and gloom of our system).

Latest new line is the Epping-Chatswood Rail Link (half the length, half the stations, double the budget).

Clearways project has had some success and alot of stillbirths as well. New terminating platform at Hornsby is near completion. Other work including a new freight line on the Main Southern Line has stalled. Delays on the new rolling stock which are built in China, and the Metro has turned into a huge farce for the public (although most insiders knew it was a band-aid/announce something newsworthy to cover up the real doom and gloom of our system).

ECRL opened in February, I believe. Just after the Victoria fires.

IMO, there are many problems with CityRail. You have suburban, interurban and freight services sharing the same tracks. Do you think the Christie Report plan would have worked out?

The Christie report has seen alot of behind the scenes improvements. The irony is that Ron Christie was the guvner when alot of the cuts happened back in the 80s.

That's about it, really. I was actually in Melbourne during the fires (there was a bus tour down there with a heritage fleet), the heat was unbearable, and the only time it was at a reasonable temperature was between 11pm and 7am! The air was as hot as a furnace, and it was cooler in your mouth to breathe out than to breathe in. Definitely unpleasant conditions to be in, and quite disconcerting to fly over the fires at night as well.

The Christie report has seen alot of behind the scenes improvements. The irony is that Ron Christie was the guvner when alot of the cuts happened back in the 80s.

That's about it, really. I was actually in Melbourne during the fires (there was a bus tour down there with a heritage fleet), the heat was unbearable, and the only time it was at a reasonable temperature was between 11pm and 7am! The air was as hot as a furnace, and it was cooler in your mouth to breathe out than to breathe in. Definitely unpleasant conditions to be in, and quite disconcerting to fly over the fires at night as well.

that mused have been tortureous.:tdown::eek:

Heh, that's really ironic. It would be cool to see bona fide metro lines down in Sydney. A while ago they planned an Anzac line. Then replacing that with the North West Metro. And now that was shortened to just the CBD Metro.

Seems like the fires were really close to Melbourne.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived