PATH to order 119 new cars

Fan Railer

http://www.panynj.gov/budget_cap_plan/pdf/capital_plan.pdf (page 9/10)

PATH

CR02-PATH

CARS

CR02-215 PA-1, 2 & 3 RAILCAR OVERHAUL

CR02-299 PURCHASE OF 44 ADDITIONAL CARS (10 CAR SERVICE )

CR02-304 PA4 CARS-REPLACE DOOR FRAMES, COMPRESSORS

CR02-345 PURCHASE 340 NEW PA5 CARS

CR02-404 RAILCAR SIMULATOR

CR02-406 MASTER PLAN FOR NEW RAILCARS

CR02-457 PURCHASE 75 RAILCARS FOR CBTC

does this mean more PA-5's or a new class, but almost exactly the same as the PA-5 (like the R143 and the R160)?

if this is just PA-5's then it there will be 459 new PA-5's.

It looks like they are adding cars to the order in preparation for when they start running the 10 car trains on the red line during peak hours. This has been a LONG time coming. Finally trains that are not crush loaded, sadly this will not come into play for another year or so i'm guessing. They may start running longer trains sooner if its possible to do so.

- A

PATH Cars

PATH will invest $845 million in the 2007 – 2016 capital plan for new railcars.

Since acquiring the rail system from the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad, PATH has invested in rebuilding the system that connects New York and New Jersey with the purchase of new railroad fleets (PA-1, PA-2 and PA-3) in 1965, 1967, and 1972. PATH also supplemented the fleet in 1986 with 94 PA-4 railcars. PATH is among the oldest heavy rail transit railcar fleets in the country, with the majority of its fleet approximately 42 years old.

While PATH has undertaken a comprehensive maintenance and rehabilitation program over the years, the physical wear and tear coupled with obsolesce of fleet parts required that PATH begin to plan for the replacement of the fleet. Accelerating this need was the steady increase in ridership, especially over the last decade.

In April 2005, PATH awarded a contract to Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc., for the design, manufacture, and delivery of 340 PA-5 railcars. The first eight of these cars will be delivered for testing during the second quarter of 2008. In addition, Kawasaki will provide all spare parts, special tools, test equipment, training, and manuals related to the new railcars. Kawasaki will also provide for the disposition of decommissioned PATH railcars. PATH has the option to order additional railcars in accordance with the provisions of the contract.

The new railcars are to replace several classes of cars (PA-1, PA-2 and PA-3) that have already received a major mid-life rehabilitation and now exceed their design life of 30 years. The new railcars will also be replacing the last class of railcars, the PA-4s, which have been in service since 1987, but were deemed more cost-effective to replace at this time than to rehabilitate. In addition, 75 more cars will be acquired to take advantage of the benefits of the new automatic train control system and an additional 44 cars will be acquired to implement 10-car service on the Newark to World Trade Center line.

The new PA-5 railcars will be equipped to operate with new signal system technology in the future that will safely reduce the headway required between trains to relieve overcrowding and increase overall capacity in the system. In addition, the new railcars will have three doors on each side to allow for faster loading and unloading. They are expected to enhance the passenger trip experience because they will have a passenger information system with on-board video, closed-circuit television for recording capabilities; improved lighting, air-conditioning and heating; prerecorded station announcements; better signs; the capability for passengers to communicate with the crew; and provide increased maintainability and reliability, as well as improved diagnostics of their systems. These cars will also comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.

i think this makes more sense...

http://www.panynj.gov/budget_cap_plan/

and go to PATH-updated 2007-2016 capital plan overview-everything's there

ok, based on some calculations, i make out with all 459 new cars, there can be a total of 59 trains on the system. this assumes 14 ten car trains and 45 seven car trains.

there would be four left over cars in the yard. lol

but seriously, i don't think there is actually room in the system for all 59 to be on line at once, even with cbtc.

one more thing: any news on the NWK airport extension, or is that on hold?

when it is built, i can see 14 ten car trains assigned to that line during rush.

then 4 sevens for hob-wtc, 5 for hob-33, 10 for jsq-33, which works out to 19 sevens + 14 tens = 273 cars on the system.

so why are they planning for 459 cars again?

ok, based on some calculations, i make out with all 459 new cars, there can be a total of 59 trains on the system. this assumes 14 ten car trains and 45 seven car trains.

there would be four left over cars in the yard. lol

but seriously, i don't think there is actually room in the system for all 59 to be on line at once, even with cbtc.

one more thing: any news on the NWK airport extension, or is that on hold?

when it is built, i can see 14 ten car trains assigned to that line during rush.

then 4 sevens for hob-wtc, 5 for hob-33, 10 for jsq-33, which works out to 19 sevens + 14 tens = 273 cars on the system.

so why are they planning for 459 cars again?

I believe the Airport extension is stalled as of now. There are many contenders for the line actually. NJT wants to extend the Newark Light Rail to Elizabeth via the Airport. PATH wants it too. NJT also wants to safeguard its commuter rail ridership to Newark Liberty.

I believe the Airport extension is stalled as of now. There are many contenders for the line actually. NJT wants to extend the Newark Light Rail to Elizabeth via the Airport. PATH wants it too. NJT also wants to safeguard its commuter rail ridership to Newark Liberty.

they need to work out an agreement.

Conrail shared assets, amtrak, PA, and (NJT) are negotiating a plan that would run between journal square and the airport. A compromise would have pax going to the airport via platform H, coming into NYP via platform M.

There is either going to be a totally new line between jsq and the airport with freight tracks equipped with PATH 3rd rail and signal, or something involving an overpass to cross both the freight tracks and the NEC just north of the airtrain station. Since there is an abandoned ROW along part of the later route, new tracks could go there.

The last thing PA wants is new fleet of non-PA# cars for specialized airport service, but that also is not totally ruled out at this point.

I give it 2-3 more years before anything official comes out about it.

- A

Not to get O/T but the NJ Transit service to Newark Airport is a ripoff. It cost more money to go from Penn to the Airport than it does to go to Trenton.

Not to get O/T but the NJ Transit service to Newark Airport is a ripoff. It cost more money to go from Penn to the Airport than it does to go to Trenton.

There is a 5 dollar charge for using the AirTrain, which contrary to popular belief, actually costs money to run.

The other reason it's "expensive" is because they don't want people getting off at ewr just to take the bus to nwk. If you're an airport worker you get reimbursed for airtrain fare, but only if cross honoring is in effect. Normally though you get as much (NJT) transit pass as is reasonable.

My girlfriend gets a monthly pass for HBLR/bus and (NJT) rail/bus between nwk and ewr. Again rail is good if cross honoring is in effect, otherwise it's only bus. She does not get anything for PATH, even though i think since she works at the PA owned/operated airport they should add in monthly for that too, because it does add up.

Anyways back on topic. The 10 car trains are sorely needed at peak hours.

Eventually PATH will have to run all 10 car trains full speed & closer together to match demand, or it will reach a breaking point.

Lex has SAS, but the red line specifically can only run more longer trains per hour, because building a twin set of tracks just isn't feasible at the moment.

I can foresee them experimenting with express shuttle style trains that only stop at wtc exp and nwk, but again options are limited.

- A

• 1 month later...

Even more off-topic -- don't buy a Penn Station-Newark Airport ticket. Instead, buy a Penn Station-North Elizabeth ticket for $5.50, get off at the airport, and pay the additional $5 for the AirTrain at the airport station. That's $10.50 rather than $15.

Or take PATH from nyc, then the 62 from nwk for ~3 bucks.

The service isn't a ripoff, (NJT) doesnt have room for luggage laden passengers who over-pack & refuse to use luggage racks. The busses have luggage racks & PATH has room at the ends of cars for bags on the floor.

- A

Archived