PANYNJ Forum Suggestion

I strongly believe that we should have a forum dedicated to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The reason is, this agency has been playing an integral role in transportation in the area: it controls the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels, it owns the PATH system, maintains the airports etc... In addition, the PANYNJ is a big part of the WTC reconstruction project. Although half of the site is to be turned over to Silverstein Properties, I believe the Transit Hub, the Freedom Tower and the Memorial will be under Port control.

We can have sub-forums for:

-AirTrain

-PATH

Yea, there should be an area for PA specific stuff since for example the PATH system is about as old as the subway and has its own little world of rules, specs, policy, history & it kinda goes in between (literally & figuratively) (NJT) and (MTA).

I'd even help move existing threads to the new area.

- A

I strongly believe that we should have a forum dedicated to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The reason is, this agency has been playing an integral role in transportation in the area: it controls the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels, it owns the PATH system, maintains the airports etc... In addition, the PANYNJ is a big part of the WTC reconstruction project. Although half of the site is to be turned over to Silverstein Properties, I believe the Transit Hub, the Freedom Tower and the Memorial will be under Port control.

We can have sub-forums for:

-AirTrain

-PATH

Yes I agree. :tup: Hopefully they'll be enough discussions to help keep it going.

In general, the layout of this site could use some alterations. MTA Bus and NYC Bus should be one forum. I think PATH and NJ Transit bus and rail should be another forum. The LIRR and LI Bus should be combined into one forum (same as Metro-North and Beeline). This would streamline the website and make it easier to navigate.

In general, the layout of this site could use some alterations. MTA Bus and NYC Bus should be one forum. I think PATH and NJ Transit bus and rail should be another forum. The LIRR and LI Bus should be combined into one forum (same as Metro-North and Beeline). This would streamline the website and make it easier to navigate.

PATH and NJT have different operations though.

PATH and (NJT) have nothing at all to do with each other in any way. If anything PATH would be more closely related to the (NYCT) subway.

NJT has a huge rail network, 3 light rail (and more to come) networks, and then it has its bus operations, both contracted 3rd party, and (NJT) owned busses.

PATH is bi-state PA owned and operated rail rapid transit.

- A

But they serve the same general region. The majority of PATH passengers switch to a NJ Transit service (bus, light rail, commuter rail) once they arrive in Jersey. The two systems are intertwined.

Like what Metsfan said, the same could be applied in New York. Besides they are similar since they are rapid transit. Let's just put PATH into PANYNJ, since that is the agency that is governing it as of now.

I don't look at systems. I look at regions. The way I see it, there are four boroughs with similar subway/bus service. Staten Island is a bit different. Then there's Long Island, Westchester, and Jersey. The forums should correspond to the demographics of these distinct regions, not the different transit services within these regions.

Like what Metsfan said, the same could be applied in New York. Besides they are similar since they are rapid transit. Let's just put PATH into PANYNJ, since that is the agency that is governing it as of now.

Agree.

HBLR and PATH are not intertwined in the least bit. PATH began as the H&M railroad in the late 1800's, by 1908 they had completed a line from hoboken (the DL&W terminal) to pavina/newport (the Erie terminal), and several stations in manhattan p to 33rd st. Soon after they opened service from journal square, where the first electric PRR trains (running on 3rd rail) would terminate pax service & people would transfer to service into downtown manhattan at Hudson Terminal (now on the east of the WTC slurry wall near tower 4). PRR main line service also terminated at exchange place, this service was later relocated, then abandoned, leaving PRR into NY via the north river tubes. H&M at that time (1935) had a electric transfer point, where PRR pax would change to H&M trains. This was called Manhattan Transfer, and sat approximately where hudson yard (namesake) and the current PATH facility in harrison are today. After PRR extended wire to philadelphia, the transfer station was no longer needed, and H&M traisn were allowed to come directly into the newly constructed Newark Pennsylvania Station. PATH takes the original route of the 3rd rail & steam trains run by PRR to a point, it's arranged a bit differently now though.

HBLR is light rail that runs from bayonne to weehawken along a track active in the H&M era up to about the 60's. Part of the ROW still sees freight on a separate set of tracks. It stops at hoboken because of the train terminal, it stops at exchange place because of all the businesses there & traffic from NYC, it stops at pavonia because there's a mall there now and offices and condos etc. Different systems entirely, created for very different reasons.

- A

I know what I'm saying is in vain, but here me out: it's not necessart to have 80 different subforums. Sometimes less is more. At Subchat there are three forums-rail, bus, and off-topic. I suggest that NYC Transitforums consist of the following forums: NYC subway (SIR included), NYC buses, Metro-North and Bee-Line, LIRR and LI Bus, NJ Transit and PATH, World Transit systems, and off topic. That's 7 forums. This would make the website more user friendly. Posts would actually increase since people who post in a forum would see a topic pertaining to the region they live in.

I know what I'm saying is in vain, but here me out: it's not necessart to have 80 different subforums. Sometimes less is more. At Subchat there are three forums-rail, bus, and off-topic. I suggest that NYC Transitforums consist of the following forums: NYC subway (SIR included), NYC buses, Metro-North and Bee-Line, LIRR and LI Bus, NJ Transit and PATH, World Transit systems, and off topic. That's 7 forums. This would make the website more user friendly. Posts would actually increase since people who post in a forum would see a topic pertaining to the region they live in.

The thing is though, New Jersey Transit covers a VAST area. If you merge the NJT with a PATH forum, you might as well include PATCO. PATCO runs in South Jersey, and don't forget NJT covers the area around Philadelphia. PATH is in some ways, analogous to PATCO as HBLR is analogous to the Riverline. However, it does not mean there should be a huge umbrella covering specific entities. Now I do not call, however, for a seperate PATCO forum.

Having specifics is better IMO, since people know what to post and where to post. Subchat, with its 3 categories, creates numerous problems. I've seen threads relating to the LA Metro placed next to a NYC subway thread. A SEPTA thread sits here or there.

Don't forget, the Port Authority does not handle the PATH alone. It also maintains the tunnels and the GWB. It also maintains the airport, so there are many grounds to talk about in this proposed forum.

This is my plan for the reorganization of the forum:

• Leave subway/MTA forums as is.
  • Remove Bridges and Tunnels and Art/Music forums

• Reorganize the rest as follows:

Other NYC Area Transit

-NJ Transit

-PANYNJ Rail (PATH/AirTrain only)

-Bee-Line Bus

-SCT Bus (or allow SCT in the LIB forum)

-Amtrak

Other

-US Railroads

--SEPTA/PATCO

--Freight

-As a Hobby (no loose posts here)

--Model Trains/Buses

--Train/Bus Simulators

--Photography

--Product Reviews

--Railfan Trips

-Transit Careers

-Off Topic

This is my plan for the reorganization of the forum:

• Leave subway/MTA forums as is.

• Remove Bridges and Tunnels and Art/Music forums

• Reorganize the rest as follows:

Other NYC Area Transit

-NJ Transit

-PANYNJ Rail (PATH/AirTrain only)

-Bee-Line Bus

-SCT Bus (or allow SCT in the LIB forum)

-Amtrak

Other

-US Railroads

--SEPTA/PATCO

--Freight

-As a Hobby (no loose posts here)

--Model Trains/Buses

--Train/Bus Simulators

--Photography

--Product Reviews

--Railfan Trips

-Transit Careers

-Off Topic

I like that idea! However Amtrak belongs in Other US transit. There should be a World Transit category, sorted into the following:

+Bus

+Rail

-Urban rail (including metros, light rail systems, tramways, funiculars, commuter rail etc...)

-Long distance rail (including high speed rail, freight etc...)

You're right about the Bridges and Tunnels forum. I've seen very few if any posts there. Press releases should be kept, IMO.

I like that idea! However Amtrak belongs in Other US transit. There should be a World Transit category, sorted into the following:

+Bus

+Rail

-Urban rail (including metros, light rail systems, tramways, funiculars, commuter rail etc...)

-Long distance rail (including high speed rail, freight etc...)

You're right about the Bridges and Tunnels forum. I've seen very few if any posts there. Press releases should be kept, IMO.

Thanks. I think that the press releases should be converted to a link to the press release page (official). World transit is a good idea. Amtrak in Other US Transit isn't really a good idea, since NYP is a major Amtrak hub.

Also remove Civil/Commercial Aviation (how many of us know that that section even existed?)

Don't remove aviation. It's a good sub-forum, and is every much as part of NYC's transportation as the subway, trains or bus.

Also, remember that PA runs bus lines, either directly or contracted, between the bus terminal, the 4 airports and LIMcA.

They also have on-property bus service which goes between the parking lots, and use orions (both diesel and hybrid).

You could put all the rail in one segment, divided by area, and then all the bus.

You could also put (NJT) and :septa: rail together in "other commuter rail" or something, and allow MBTA, DART, Shore Line, etc hop on there.

Theres a bunch of ways it could be laid out, but the way it is now is great, just a few minor tweaks.

I await the changes you mentioned (H)! Could we also have a site color theme option while you're at it? I've seen the other option themes before, but not as a live UI button, they seemed cool too!

- A

Thanks. I think that the press releases should be converted to a link to the press release page (official). World transit is a good idea. Amtrak in Other US Transit isn't really a good idea, since NYP is a major Amtrak hub.

Also remove Civil/Commercial Aviation (how many of us know that that section even existed?)

Not exactly sure on Amtrak. The thing is though, you have other main hubs like Chicago or Washington DC. While not as great, they do act as major centres for the national rail network. The thing is though, Amtrak is mostly focused on covering the country, not exactly covering the tri-state area. So Amtrak does in fact belong in the US section.

Archived