A Tale of 2 (strange) R46s

R10 2952

Today in the afternoon, as I was waiting for a 207th Street-bound Slant at Schermerhorn Street, a set of R-46s on the (A) showed up. I was standing right where the end of the 2nd car met the end of the third. And then I noticed something... I took a good look at the 2nd car in the consist, #6207, and at the third, #6258. The blind end of 6207 was coupled in the middle of a consist to the NON-BLIND end of 6258!:eek: It looked really wacky. I mean, how is that even possible, to take the blind, seemingly useless end of one car, and have it coupled to the even end of another. And strangest of all, I think the cars weren't connected by link bars. These two were connected with an actual coupler. So here you have an even stranger twist- a coupler on a blind car! 6258 was in a 2-car set, connected to 6260 (I think), and 6207 was... well, you know. Just picture a 4-car set that's been taken and brutally chopped into two pieces. What was even stranger about this whole thing was that moments later, on the (G), an R-46 train consisting of two 2-car sets showed up. And one of the cars in the consist was 6207's mate, 6208. Can you believe that? Why is the (MTA) mutilating random R-46s?:confused:

You want to know the weirdest part?

6207 has a hostler controller!

That means, in theory at least, you could operate from that car!

Heh...in theory and also in practice! :) The hostler is just intended for yard moves or cuts/adds. The catch with the hostler controller is you can't go faster than series speed anyway, so you'd never see it in service. :D The panel it's hidden behind is conveniently arranged so that whoever is operating using the hostler would be able to see out the door.

IIRC all R46's came with hostlers at both ends of the car when originally done, but this is the only one that still has it, just the one...

Heh...in theory and also in practice! :) The hostler is just intended for yard moves or cuts/adds. The catch with the hostler controller is you can't go faster than series speed anyway, so you'd never see it in service. :D The panel it's hidden behind is conveniently arranged so that whoever is operating using the hostler would be able to see out the door.

IIRC all R46's came with hostlers at both ends of the car when originally done, but this is the only one that still has it, just the one...

When the R46 were delivered, the controller in the cab was mounted just under where the LCD sign controller is now mounted.

R46cab.jpg

This is semi related.

R46's have two seating layouts at the ends of the cars. The most common is the 3 against the wall on the blind ends. However there are a few that have the three against the all plus two against the blind end on each side of the car.

Is that because of what was mentioned above? The controller or whatever once being there?

It used to be cool seeing them twist that thing, push forward, and then "phssssewww..." and we gently glide off. The cars just aren't the same with the GOH faux-SMEE propulsion and braking.

And it must have been easier to operate too. Those long horizontal rotation NYAB handles are tiresome, especially when you're coming tup to the stop, and inertia is trying to move your hand differently.

If they were keeping the cars longer; I would say to put the modern style controllers in.

This is semi related.

R46's have two seating layouts at the ends of the cars. The most common is the 3 against the wall on the blind ends. However there are a few that have the three against the all plus two against the blind end on each side of the car.

I believe that all R44s have that configuration.

Archived