New TV lineup for 2009-10 is set. Are "reality" shows losing popularity?

Shortline Bus

The new 2009-2010 tv schedule is set starting in late September. Former NFL giants star is getting his own show. Here the story.

2009-10 TV lineup is set.

Has the reality show genre craze that has taken control of television prime time over the last decade finally starting to die down?

The 4 major broadcast networks this week announced their line ups for the 2009-10 season. Among highlights is the return of a record tying 20 year of "Law and Order' the 19th season of the Simpsons and return of TV vets such as Ed O'Neil, Kelsey Grammer, Courteney Cox,

The end of reality shows? NBC ABC and Fox reveal fall lineup includes hospitals, lawyers and return of some famous names. CBS a partial list.

BY Richard Huff

DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Tuesday May 19, 2009

The 4 major broadcast networks this week announced their line ups for the 2009-10 season. Among highlights is the return of a record tying 20 year of "Law and Order' the 19th season of the Simpsons and return of TV favorites such as Ed O'Neil, Kelsey Grammer, Courteney Cox, Julianna Margulies and LL Cool J. One noticeable trend is the gradual return of scrpited shows and the slow decline of reality shows on broadcast tv.

4th place NBC, will bring back "Law & Order" for a record-tying 20th season, and has renewed the quirky drama "Chuck" for the coming season.

That's the good news.

The bad news?

"My Name is Earl," has been sent packing and "Medium" is gone.

Just weeks after announcing it had picked up six new series for the 2009-2010 season, four dramas and two comedies, NBC officials Tuesday revealed where those shows actually fit into its new line-up with "The Jay Leno Show" taking the 10 p.m. slot weeknights.

To do so, they're going to split the season, and time periods, with shows sharing slots throughout the year.

"NBC has picked up more scripted shows than last season, even with 'The Jay Leno Show' at 10 p.m.," Ben Silverman, co-chairman of NBC Entertainment said in a statement.

Silverman said the network was "incredibly excited" about the new and returning shows.

"We can't wait for the fall," he said.

The new lineup includes several spots where one show starts the season and another finishes in the same time slot, giving the network — providing everything works — original episodes throughout the year.

For instance, Mondays at 8 p.m. will have "Heroes" at the start of the season followed by the new paramedic drama "Trauma" at 9 p.m.

After the 2010 Winter Olympics in February, "Chuck" will take over the 8 p.m. slot followed at 9 by "Day One," a new drama about life on earth following a global catastrophe that has devastated the world's infrastructures.

In the case of "Chuck," a show about an electronics geek turned secret agent, it is coming back with Subway as a major sponsor, in a deal that includes product integration into the show.

NBC's fall schedule Wednesday's kicking off at 8 with the new drama "Parenthood," based on the hit film of the same name. "Mercy" a nurse drama, will move into the Wednesday at 8 slot in February.

Thursdays start with "SNL Weekend Update" in the fall at 8 and "Community" a new comedy set in a community college and starring Chevy Chase at 9:30. Eventually, "Community" will slide to 8, making room for "30 Rock" at 9:30.

"Law & Order," which next season will tie "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running drama, will air Fridays at 8 p.m., leading into "Southland," which moves from Thursdays at 10 to Fridays at 9.

The new comedy "100 Questions" and the reality show "The Marriage Ref," will also launch after The Olympics.

NBC previously announced the renewal of "The Office," "30 Rock," "Parks and Recreation," "The Celebrity Apprentice," "Southland," "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," and "Friday Night Lights."

Meanwhile Fox-TV will launch will launch three new scripted series in the fall, The highlight of the new shows preimering on the Rupert Mudrock owned network is placing a huge gamble on a new combo reality-comedy series format, starring former Giants superstar turned TV personality Michael Strahan. Long time favorite, The 'Simpsons return' for a 19th season. While the network's biggest hits '24' and 'American Idol' debut their new seasons starting in January 2010.

Strahan stars in "Brothers," a new sitcom that will kick off Fridays in the fall, in which he plays a former NFL player who returns home to find that while he has changed, his family hasn't. The show also stars Daryl (Chill) Mitchell ("Ed," "Veronica's Closet") as Strahan's brother.

"This show when you look at it, you're going to see a chemistry, a real chemistry," said Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly. "It's got heart, and, I think, real laughs and real people is something we’re missing on the air right now."

The other two new shows launching in the fall include "Glee," which gets a special preview Tuesday night, and "The Cleveland Show," an animated comedy from the producers of "Family Guy."

The network will also launch at midseason another comedy "Sons of Tucson" a family sitcom starring Tyler Labine ("Reaper") and two dramas, "Human Target," starring Mark Valley as a private security guard, and "Past Life," about a couple of past-life detectives who investigate to see if what's happening to someone now is a result of who they were before.

And, in November, Fox kicks off "The Wanda Sykes Show," an hour-long topical comedy series to air at 11 p.m. on Saturday nights. The "Sykes' how replaces "Mad TV" a long time staple on Fox on Saturday Nights.

Also getting a fall prime-time berth for the first time is "So You Think You Can Dance," the dancing competition series from the producer of "American Idol," which has been a summer hit since it launched.

Reilly said the decision to move "Dance" to the fall was so the network didn't have to "reconstitute" its schedule at mid-season when "American Idol" returns.

In another scheduling shift, "Fringe" will move to Thursdays at 9 p.m., where it will go head-to-head with CBS "CSI Crime Scene Investigation" and ABC's "Grey's Anatomy."

Returning next season will be "Dollhouse," from Joss Wheden, along with "Bones," "Cops," "Family Guy," "Ameriac's Most Wanted," "Hell's Kitchen," "Kitchen Nightmares," "Lie to Me," "'Til Death," "The Simpson's" and "24," which launches in January.

Gone from the lineup is "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles."

"'Terminator' has completed its run," Reilly said, saying there wasn't an either or decision between that drama and "Dollhouse."

"Ultimately, we made a bet on 'Dollhouse,'" he said.

"Hells Kitchen" and "Kitchen Nightmares" have been picked up, but not officially on either the fall or mid-season schedules.

Reilly said those programs were self starters and could be used "opportunistically" if other shows fail.

The ABC fall lineup includes 11 new series - but no 'Samantha Who.' Among the new shows stars the return of TV show veterans Ed O Neil(Married With Children)Kelsey Grammer,("Cheers" & Frasier) Courteney Cox ("Friends"), Rebecca Romijn and Patricia Heaton.

ABC has ordered 11 new series for the 2009-10 season, and along the way dumped the critically praised “Samantha Who."

“Samantha Who,” which starred Christina Applegate as a woman regaining her life after amnesia, struggled with not-so-great ratings.

“I feel really responsible for that,” ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson said of “Samantha.” “It was a great show. Christina is a giant, giant TV star. It was really frustrating. It launched very well, and then it seemed to run out of steam.”

The network is betting on comedy for the fall, with four new sitcoms scheduled for Wednesday, and is making changes on all but two nights of the week.

New to the ABC schedule are series starring veterans Kelsey Grammer, Courteney Cox, Rebecca Romijn and Patricia Heaton.

Six of the new shows are dramas, four comedies and one is a reality show from Mark Burnett.

Among the mix is a reimagined take on the film “The Witches of Eastwick,” and an updated take on the 1980s miniseries “V.”

And coming back during the next season will be the drama “Castle,” along with the comedies “Better off Ted,” and a recast “Scrubs,” both of which will appear at the mid-season point. The reality show “True Beauty” will also return.

“Lost” will be back for its final season; exactly where and on what night has not been determined.

“Friends” star Cox returns to comedy in “Cougar Town,” where she plays a divorced sigle mother dealing with dating and aging.

Grammer stars in the sitcom “Hank,” as a CEO who finds himself out of work and trying to reconnect with his family.

Grammer’s former “Back to You” co-star Patricia Heaton stars in “The Middle,” a comedy about a middle class family living in Indiana.

And, Ed O’Neill stars in “Modern Family,” a family comedy that is shot from the perspective of an unseen documentary filmmaker.

On the drama side, “The Deep End” revolves around the cutthroat arena of high-end law and focuses on four young lawers.

“Eastwick” stars Romijn, Lindsay Price (“Lipstick Jungle”) and Jamie Ray Newman as three women drawn together by a mysterious man who brings out their unique powers.

“Flash Forward” is set after an unexplained event causes the world to black out and everyone is forced to focus on whether their destinies can be avoided or fullfilled.

Jerry Bruckheimer is behind “The Forgotten,” a new drama in which amateurs work on crime cases involving unidentifed victims.

“Happy Town” is set in a small town in Minnesota, where, following a period of peace after a series of unsolved kidnappings, a crime has everyone talking.

And “V,” starring Elizabeth Mitchell of “Lost,” is an updated version of the '80s miniseries about the world’s first encounter with an alien race that calls itself the visitors.

The lone reality show is “Shark Tank,” which challenges contestants to convince five multi-millionaires to fund their ideas.

Gone from the lineup are “Cupid” and “The Unusuals.”

On the number #1 rated network, CBS-TV a new starring former ER star Julianna Margulies is among one of the highlights of CBS' fall lineup, in the new drama 'The Good Wife.' Also Actor/Hip Hop Star LL Cool J is getting a show. The other news is that the 2010 Super Bowl will air on CBS in Febuary from Miami.

CBS has picked up four new dramas, a reality show and a comedy for next season.

The network, which doesn’t reveal its fall line-up until Wednesday, has told producers the six shows that they’ve ordered for next season, although CBS executives have not disclosed where the shows will air or when.

The new shows include the familiar faces of Julianna Margulies and LL Cool J, and also hit on on some of the staple subjects of the medium -- law and medical.

Margulies, last seen on one of the last episodes of “ER,” will star in “The Good Wife,” a drama about a politician's wife who returns to work as a defense attorney.

Mega-producer Jerry Bruckheimer is behind “Miami Trauma,” a show that follows a team of trauma surgeons working in Miami.

Alex O’Loughlin (“Moonlight”) stars in “Three Rivers,” a Pittsburgh-set hospital drama about a group of doctors working in the area of organ transplants.

Not suprising, CBS has also ordered a spin-off of “NCIS,” the networks ratings monster, which stars Chris O’Donnell and LL Cool J. The spin-off got a test run as part of a recent edition of “NCIS.”

“Accidentally on Purpose” is the network’s lone comedy pick up so far, and is based on a novel by Mary F. Pols, about a movie critic whose one-night stand with a younger man results in a pregnancy. Jenna Elfman of “Dharma & Greg” fame stars in “Accidentally.”

And on the reality front, CBS has ordered “Undercover Boss,” a show in which an executive from a company goes undercover with their underlings to see how the other half works.

Shows on CBS’ lineup that haven’t gotten the word about their placement for next season will find out Tuesday evening.

The CW will announce their new lineups later this week.

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc.

Reactions?

i never liked "reality" shows, their all a joke. there really isnt much to watch on tv anymore, i just watch the late night comedy shows (MAD TV, SNL, Jay Leno etc)

i wanna see Jay Leons new show @ 10 tho, that looks kinda promising

i never liked "reality" shows, their all a joke. there really isnt much to watch on tv anymore, i just watch the late night comedy shows (MAD TV, SNL, Jay Leno etc)

i wanna see Jay Leons new show @ 10 tho, that looks kinda promising

The new Jay Leno show will be part variety(ie think Ed Sullivan show, American Idol, etc) and part talk show(his former tonight show talk program)hybird.:confused:

NBC is calling it Tonight Show:Prime Time and Conan O Brien new show Tonight Show similar to the Today in 2 parts.

FYI. Mad TV is cancelled.

Eh, only show I watch on TV is Rescue Me.

Last night's episode was hilarious.

Thank god, another Rescue Me fan. I have been watching that show since day 1 and I love it. The only other thing I watch is Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and the Military Channel. Other then that, TV programing has really gone to hell. TLC used to have good programing, now it's all bout home decorating and freak shows.

Thank god, another Rescue Me fan. I have been watching that show since day 1 and I love it. The only other thing I watch is Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and the Military Channel. Other then that, TV programing has really gone to hell. TLC used to have good programing, now it's all bout home decorating and freak shows.

Agreed. I can't stand reality TV (especially when I See people who behave like the vapid bimbos and effeminate pricks in real life who "love those shows"). As for regular programming, there's not much really out there. I used to love Third Watch till that got cancelled, now Rescue Me's all I watch.

I am looking forward to "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here", "Eureka" on SciFi, "Hell's Kitchen" next year, "The Celebrity Apprentice" next year, and "Stargate Universe" premiering in the fall on SciFi.

Southland and Parks And Recreation are an okay watch.

Archived