What If the IND Queens Blvd Line Was Never Built?

Maserati7200

As I'm sure most of you know, the Queens Blvd line is packed, and has a lot of riders. Even with all the service it offers, it still gets very crowded during the rush. What if it was never built? Just like the entire IND second system? Would we see extreme overcrowding on the (7) and express bus lines in the area? Dicsuss

If the QBL didn't exist, many things can happen:

-First of all, they would have to rely on the LIRR

-Communities would not be as greatly developed as today, back then, the subway moved in the people (and this continues)

-(Feeder) Buses would be centred around the IRT Flushing line, making the Flushing line even more crowded

I completely agree with MTR on this but I am willing to add more to it.

-Queens Blvd itself(as well as Broadway) wouldn't have have all that business up and down the streets without the QBL. We wouldn't even have the great malls in East Elmhurst/Woodhaven(you know in that general area)

Meh. That's all I can think of for now.

I completely agree with MTR on this but I am willing to add more to it.

-Queens Blvd itself(as well as Broadway) wouldn't have have all that business up and down the streets without the QBL. We wouldn't even have the great malls in East Elmhurst/Woodhaven(you know in that general area)

Meh. That's all I can think of for now.

The IND Queens Blvd line is the second busiest in the system,after the lexington ave line.

Great Malls in that area? You mean Queens Center Mall,which is in Elmhurst,no great malls in East Elmhurst or Woodhaven that I know of. Yes,the subways there bring a lot of traffic to that mall,although people drive from all over to go to Queens Center Mall.

There would be serous congestion on the (7) line and riders would be more dependent on bus transportation. Now if the (7) didn't exist, Queens would probably still be grassland.

You've bet! Even just after the (7) was open, most of Queens was desolate. If you guys want a clear picture of what Queens looked like back then, read The Great Gatsby.

read The Great Gatsby.

Hell no. That book is horrible.

I watched the movie in my school and nothing interesting happened. The only thing that made it a BIT interesting was when that woman got ran over by a car. Other than that, all my relations to it are severed.

You've bet! Even just after the (7) was open, most of Queens was desolate. If you guys want a clear picture of what Queens looked like back then, read The Great Gatsby.

Oh I'm reading that next year in 11th grade! My grandfather told me it was a great book

I watched the movie in my school and nothing interesting happened. The only thing that made it a BIT interesting was when that woman got ran over by a car. Other than that, all my relations to it are severed.

Lol i hated that book after i read it, it pissed me off.:mad::tdown:

Oh I'm reading that next year in 11th grade! My grandfather told me it was a great book

Lol i hated that book after i read it, it pissed me off.:mad::tdown:

Just read it not too long ago, and I disagree with everyone except MTR. IT's not the best book, but it's not totally bad either.

By the way, this is what MTR's talking about. Queens in 1917, several years before Gatsby was to take place. I don't imagine it would have changed much by then.

Just read it not too long ago, and I disagree with everyone except MTR. IT's not the best book, but it's not totally bad either.

By the way, this is what MTR's talking about. Queens in 1917, several years before Gatsby was to take place. I don't imagine it would have changed much by then.

Same here. I read it a couple weeks ago. Remembered the details rather vividly. Fitzgerald gives a highly descriptive narrative of what Queens was like in the early 20's, way before the IND lines even materialised. In a certain part of Queens, I believe it was present day Flushing Meadows Park, Fitzgerald depicts a "valley of ashes". That is very true, prior to the World's Fair a decade or two later, FMP was literally a valley of ashes. Wilson's shop is located around modern day Corona or East Elmhurst. Fitzgerald depicts only a restaurant, a repair shop and something else. Nothing else was in the area. THAT was Queens back then.

Northern Boulevard was the only paved route from Long Island to the city. The Interstate 495 that LIers love today wasn't even built yet. The only major gateway into the city was the Bridge.

At Fitzgerald's time, hence pre-IND Queens, stable communites (with rather significant populations) existed in these places:

-Flushing

-Woodside

-Long Island City

-Steinway

-Astoria

-Jamaica

Possibly:

-Bayside

-Little Neck

These areas were previously independent towns and villages. They were absorbed into the city as part of the borough of Queens in 1898. They retained their provincial character until rapid transit development took place. Sunnyside, even just after the IRT, was still pasture. The newspapers advertised land near the subway. Of course, the closer you are to the subway, the pricier the land is.

Trust me people, read The Great Gatsby.

Archived