What the heck happened today to the 9:04 am NEC lcl?

metsfan

The 9:04 pm :nec: local broke down at princeton jct today. I happened to be on the 9:14 :nec: express.

The 9:04 was pulling out as i was coming down onto the track 1/2 platform from the concourse (which has been remodeled completely!:eek:), and noticed it was an EMU.

So, we sat about a quarter of the way between hamilton & princeton jct..

And sat.

And sat.

And sat.

Why were we not allowed to go around it sooner? We backed up in prep to switch to track 2, but then we proceeded on track 1. We had backed up past hamilton to do this, which wasted at least 10 minutes.

So, my question is, what exactly happened, and why were we stuck parked on track 1 for sooo long (at least 20 minutes) without clearance to backtrack sooner? I got in at ~11:20, JUST enough time to catch the 11:25 62 bus to the airport with my woman.

On top of all this, we only went "fast" (over 70) for about 10 minutes. What the heck happened & was was this allowed to deteriorate into such a crap situation? :mad::tdown:

On a plus note, i saw a big blue CR unit near metuchen pointing short hood first towards the :nec: running rather light with only 3-4 cars in back. :cool::tup:

- A

sigh...

The dispatcher has to make sure the route ahead and behind the train are clear before they can move the train.

BTW. That CR blue unit is NS 5311 and it was working ME-2 today.

I had a funny feeling about today, i looked at the info board, and i saw the 9:04 blinking, and i was like ".... etr5644t" if you know what i mean.

If i wasn't a railfan & just going to see my girlfriend & t was something vital to like my job or to someone else, like if i was a doctor or some such, or i was missing someone's graduation i'd be a lot more pissed than i am/was about it.

I plan to call (NJT) about this tomorrow.

They need to start checking those arrows more carefully before they are put out into service. Transformer here, inductor there, dead motor, door issues, pantograph not collecting current.... I understand they are on the threshold of EOL, but please, till they are replaced, keep a more careful eye, and test them in the yard a BUNCH before putting them out. I'd much rather be stuck on a combined train from trenton, than a disabled train in the middle of a rev move, or behind it like today.

Thanks for the infor on the freight. I have a question you might be able to answer. What customer is served on that spur that still has some wire on the towers? Do you know the one i mean? The towers have sans wire between the NEC and the curve of the spur, but the curve onward still has it in place. Did PRR/PC serve them, and is it still active? Thanks in advance!

- A

NJT knows the Arrows are showing their age. No need to call about that.

Speaking of the freight, what was location? Was it just RR West of the Metuchen Station? Those are the WYE and lead into CSAO Metuchen Yard. Or do you mean the customer by the yard on the NEC in between Metuchen and Edison stations that receives tanks.

NJT knows the Arrows are showing their age. No need to call about that.

Speaking of the freight, what was location? Was it just RR West of the Metuchen Station? Those are the WYE and lead into CSAO Metuchen Yard. Or do you mean the customer by the yard on the NEC in between Metuchen and Edison stations that receives tanks.

No this is off of track 4. Let me look at google earth to pinpoint after i find it tomorrow.

By the way. Going to tre at Union, we took the outside "low road", i got to see the :njc: tunnel. Pretty freakin cool! If i had known they were going to do that i would have had my camera ready! :eek:

- A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yea, I love the arrows, but...:confused:

Brandon, the line I was wondering about is right by certified steel. It's right after the old depot in Trenton when going nyp bound by track 4.

Archived