Mr. Levy goes to Albany

eli

Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy is headed to Albany Monday to ask the state to use $26 million of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority bailout to take control of Suffolk Transit.

Earlier this month, state pols approved a payroll tax as part of the bailout and Levy argues the deal burns Suffolk residents and businesses. He also said that New York City’s transit system would be improved, while the Suffolk bus system would get ignored.

Levy has railed against the state’s handling of public transportation for years, pointing out that even though Suffolk takes up nearly three times the land of neighboring Nassau County, Suffolk gets less than half the subsidies.

Suffolk County legislators have also pushed for a takeover, saying New York State placed more than $127 million in new fees and taxes to on Suffolk County residents and that revenue generated by Suffolk County to operate the MTA is now in excess of half a billion dollars, or $347 per resident, not including fare revenue.

Suffolk County operates Suffolk Transit with a state subsidy,” said Legis. Ed Romaine in a press release. “The MTA operates Long Island Bus in Nassau and the county contributes less than 10 percent of its operating cost.

As for what Suffolk gets out of the deal, a group of legislators said nearly all the MTA money earmarked for Suffolk goes toward Long Island Rail Road improvements.

Source: http://libn.com/politbureau/2009/05/17/mr-levy-heads-to-albany/

Before, I wanted (MTA) to takeover, but after I rode various Suffolk County Transit line, I don't want (MTA) to takeover Suffolk County Transit.

Various bus ride I took on SCT, they're friendly.

I even heard the radio, other SCT B/O dispatching where is S92.

I remember when my first ride on S40, B/O call in to dispatch for 3E for elderly disable with walker.

If (MTA) takeover, there will be no B/O dispatching each other, well as dollar bills might be discountinue due to MetroCard farebox installation.

Also, there will be no free transfer up to 2 connecting buses.

Bike racks might be elimated.

Before, I wanted (MTA) to takeover, but after I rode various Suffolk County Transit line, I don't want (MTA) to takeover Suffolk County Transit.

Various bus ride I took on SCT, they're friendly.

I even heard the radio, other SCT B/O dispatching where is S92.

I remember when my first ride on S40, B/O call in to dispatch for 3E for elderly disable with walker.

If (MTA) takeover, there will be no B/O dispatching each other, well as dollar bills might be discountinue due to MetroCard farebox installation.

Also, there will be no free transfer up to 2 connecting buses.

Bike racks might be elimated.

Most likely if this happens Suffolk Transit would become Long Island Bus Suffolk Division no need for a seperate entity Bus Operators have no business Dispatching Other Bus operators that just doesn't sound right so im guessing you meant to say communicating and the fare would be in line with that of Long Island Bus $3.00 not bad the whole region needs to pay the fare share but i must say that the (MTA) is not financially responsible and it is time that they stop policing their selves and the state appoint some one to over see their finances because apperantly they are not forthcoming

Most likely if this happens Suffolk Transit would become Long Island Bus Suffolk Division no need for a seperate entity Bus Operators have no business Dispatching Other Bus operators that just doesn't sound right so im guessing you meant to say communicating and the fare would be in line with that of Long Island Bus $3.00 not bad the whole region needs to pay the fare share but i must say that the (MTA) is not financially responsible and it is time that they stop policing their selves and the state appoint some one to over see their finances because apperantly they are not forthcoming

When Suffolk Transit gets taken over,it will most likely be taken over by the (MTA) Bus.

I don't mind the (MTA) Bus taking over Suffolk Transit,Suffolk Transit doesn't provide any Sunday service and late night service anyways.

When Suffolk Transit gets taken over,it will most likely be taken over by the (MTA) Bus.

I don't mind the (MTA) Bus taking over Suffolk Transit,Suffolk Transit doesn't provide any Sunday service and late night service anyways.

when and if they do take it over im assuming that Sunday service will be implemented maybe not

Archived