Broadway on the (G)

bigrene18

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

At the north end of the Broadway station on the IND Crosstown (G) line, I see a weird opening of some sort in the ceiling. Why was this built for?

That opening would have been the mezz. level for South 4th Street. Directly above that open area is the station shell. From the north end of the n/b platform there is an open door with a gate that is locked, from there you can see a ramp that would have been a stair way up to one of the platforms.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That opening would have been the mezz. level for South 4th Street. Directly above that open area is the station shell. From the north end of the n/b platform there is an open door with a gate that is locked, from there you can see a ramp that would have been a stair way up to one of the platforms.

What door?

It's related to the built but unused South 4th St. station of the IND Second System.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was a vent that leads to the street...

There is a door on the platform level of the north end of the north bound platform. The door is open but there is a gate keeping people out, from there you can see an open space and a ramp that would have been a stair case. On the north end of the south bound track there is a door on the wall not at the end of the platform, that one is locked but open into the large open area that in just north of the station.

There is a door on the platform level of the north end of the north bound platform. The door is open but there is a gate keeping people out, from there you can see an open space and a ramp that would have been a stair case. On the north end of the south bound track there is a door on the wall not at the end of the platform, that one is locked but open into the large open area that in just north of the station.

There's a large open area behind the door? Is there any lights in over there?

Yes the area is lit up sometimes, but not always. Here is a map of what I'm talking about.

south4thdoors.jpg

It does not show the door in the south bound platform that leads to the large area that you see on a Smith-9th Street bound (G).

Yes the area is lit up sometimes, but not always. Here is a map of what I'm talking about.

south4thdoors.jpg

It does not show the door in the south bound platform that leads to the large area that you see on a Smith-9th Street bound (G).

Oh, ok. I see what you're talking about. So the door in the north end of the northbound platform goes to the station shell?

Yes and no, there are not stairs kust a ramp. If I am in the area to night, I'll see if I can get some shots of the place.

Thanks! Please get some photos!

It's related to the built but unused South 4th St. station of the IND Second System.

Thank you.

I think the Utica Avenue station on the IND Fulton Avenue (A)/© line also has a opening in the ceiling above the tracks. But, I don't know why this was built.

I think the Utica Avenue station on the IND Fulton Avenue (A)/© line also has a opening in the ceiling above the tracks. But, I don't know why this was built.

It does and it was also for the IND Second System. Its a typical local/express station layout if you ever noticed it.

Ok, this first pic is the door on the North bound platform. Usually the door is open and not the gate, but this time it was closed and had a new lock and chain.

South4th3.jpg

Looking at the noth end of the south bound platform. This is the opening to the open space.

South4th2.jpg

This is the door to the open space that would be used if there was not a giant whole in the fence just inside the tunnel.

South4th1.jpg

Ok, this first pic is the door on the North bound platform. Usually the door is open and not the gate, but this time it was closed and had a new lock and chain.

South4th3.jpg

Looking at the noth end of the south bound platform. This is the opening to the open space.

South4th2.jpg

This is the door to the open space that would be used if there was not a giant whole in the fence just inside the tunnel.

South4th1.jpg

Cool pics. Thanks. :(

It does and it was also for the IND Second System. Its a typical local/express station layout if you ever noticed it.

Also for the IND 2nd System, huh? What other stuff that was built for the IND second system that is still around? A detailed list maybe?

Try checking out nycsubway.org under the IND section. There is not detailed list out there but if you read through it you will find what your looking for. Also on subchat there was a huge discussion about tunnel stubs, most of the ones on the IND were meant for the second system. Things like the middle roadbed at Classon Ave. and the Lafayette Ave. lay-ups on the (G) were meant to be used in the second system plan.

Try checking out nycsubway.org under the IND section. There is not detailed list out there but if you read through it you will find what your looking for. Also on subchat there was a huge discussion about tunnel stubs, most of the ones on the IND were meant for the second system. Things like the middle roadbed at Classon Ave. and the Lafayette Ave. lay-ups on the (G) were meant to be used in the second system plan.

Ok, thanks.

Also for the IND 2nd System, huh? What other stuff that was built for the IND second system that is still around? A detailed list maybe?

The Wikipedia article does entail a litany of projects that were under the IND Second System plan. While Wikipedia has negative connotations in the scholarly world and the railfanner's world at times, you can trust this article. I believe it lists how long the lines would have been, where they would end and how much they cost.

Does the South 4th Street station shell have lights in it or not? How long does the station shell/tunnel go for?

The Wikipedia article does entail a litany of projects that were under the IND Second System plan. While Wikipedia has negative connotations in the scholarly world and the railfanner's world at times, you can trust this article. I believe it lists how long the lines would have been, where they would end and how much they cost.

I favor reading though my library of subway books and maps to find things like this. It also helps to know people who have been to every nook of the system.

Does the South 4th Street station shell have lights in it or not? How long does the station shell/tunnel go for?

Does anyone know this?

Was there ever a plan drawn showing property lines, streets and tracks? I wanna know how they planned on routing all this. 6 track station at Union Ave and South 4?

I've probably read the nycsub.org article 30 times and still not sure about how and where some of these lines were supposed to run. And am still confused about this 6 track junction. That area's street layout hasn't changed since then AFAIK, and that's a lot of tunneling and ramping up/down, aquiring property.. .etc, etc, etc. If it were attempted nowadays it woud be stupidly friggen expensive.

Archived