E-ZPass-like MetroCard for bus, subway, train fare on tap, says outgoing MTA CEO

CPBO

E-ZPass-like MetroCard for bus, subway, train fare on tap, says outgoing MTA CEO Elliot Sander

BY Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, May 22nd 2009, 4:00 AM

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority could roll it out for subways and buses as soon as 2011 if officials take the plunge, outgoing MTA CEO Elliot Sander said.

"There are some extremely exciting possibilities I think the MTA may be able to move on shortly," Sander, whose last day on the job is today, said in an exit interview.

The MTA may offer an upgraded MetroCard or even partner with a bank or credit card company as it did for a pilot program in the subway system three years ago.

Instead of swiping MetroCards, riders would wave or tap their smart card at select turnstiles at 30 stations in the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens.

The card would deduct the fare and charge it to the rider's individual debit or credit card account.

The authority could also eventually offer a single card that's good for subways, buses and commuter trains.

A rider could even have one travel account from which MTA bridge and tunnel tolls also are deducted, Sander said.

The MTA, Port Authority and NJTransit have expressed interest in a fare card that's good across borders.

Sander resigned after Gov. Paterson said he wanted new leadership at the MTA after the state Legislature approved transit-funding legislation that helped to scale back fare hikes and cancel service cuts.

MTA Chairman Dale Hemmerdinger Thursday named LIRR President Helena Williams interim CEO until Paterson names a new head, who also will take over the chairman's role under a merger of titles recently mandated by state legislation.

pdonohue@nydailynews.com

I like this idea but only under ONE KEY CONDITION - the BANKS and CREDIT CARD COMPANIES aren't tied to ANY of it. I will "refill" my card and manage it myself but i DO NOT want banks or credit cards involved because they are "schemers" and will game you and nickel and dime you all the time. You literally have to FIGHT for everything from those greedy bastid's.

Best way to do it would be a continuation of the current system where there are "refill stations" but I do not want to give banks or credit card companies free access to bill me ANYTHING without holding a receipt in my hand ready to check every CENT because those prick companies all like to play games.

RFID easy pass - :tup:

banks and credit card companies - :tdown:

Side note: HELENA WILLIAMS as interim head? WHAT????

Thing is though, the RFID cards are very easy to hack. Some gus from MIT did it for fun with MBTA Charlie Cards as a school project. Bring back the token, no more disconted rides for anyone and the MTA can actually make money off the fare.

I like this idea but only under ONE KEY CONDITION - the BANKS and CREDIT CARD COMPANIES aren't tied to ANY of it. I will "refill" my card and manage it myself but i DO NOT want banks or credit cards involved because they are "schemers" and will game you and nickel and dime you all the time. You literally have to FIGHT for everything from those greedy bastid's.

Best way to do it would be a continuation of the current system where there are "refill stations" but I do not want to give banks or credit card companies free access to bill me ANYTHING without holding a receipt in my hand ready to check every CENT because those prick companies all like to play games.

RFID easy pass - :tup:

banks and credit card companies - :tdown:

Agreed with you, banks shouldn't take part in this thing. Let the TA do it itself.

Archived