E44's

Blinkerdoors

Who remembers the E44 rectifer units. There had so much potential. I believe they would still survive today if it hadn't been for politics to dewire the freight lines. What do you think. I understand that running electric lines would be more expensive, than running diesels. But the environmentalists I imagine are concerned about pollution in the air. What do you think?

B)

Lot of thoughts on this issue, so i'll just say that E33 and its counterpart E44 had a lot of potential.

We need fast tracks before freight can use fast electric locos.

I believe that we need a 100% seperated freight network along with pax all electric & all high speed.

How bout the trans-harbor freight tunnel?

- A

How would running electric lines be more expensive than running diesel lines? And yes, running the E44s for freight trains would definitely decrease modern pollution by a lot.

Conrail did it. There are still cat towers, and in some places still wires up above old freight lines. In certain areas the wires are 100% intact, just not connected to anything.

Seeing diesel freight operate local movements under catenary always irks me a bit, even though the locos are still interesting in and of themselves.

I think in the next 30 years local moves will be electrified & the corridors will see electrification and stuff relating to faster electric freight.

- A

The E44's by the time NJT got them were worn out and in need of some work...they were not built for passenger service and they never got far on transit. I think I made the first post in this thread that actually had to do with NJT;). The freight crews loved the E44's. Will we see a return of electric freight thats a big maybe, as of now I don't see it with large fleets of diesel engines and great service contracts from the manufacturer to boot. Maybe some day.

Archived