Camera help

I love the pictures some members take here, so I want to start taking my own. I have a Canon Powershot A560, but I'm interested in buying a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should get? Price isn't really a problem since I'm making at least $2,000 this summer. :cool:

Also, what settings would be the best for underground and overground stations?

Thanks in advance!

I advise you to stick with the old camera until you have the basics down. Then, when you start to get serious about photography (i.e. going beyond subway, or having a good grasp of info and technique when taking pics), then an investment in an expensive SLR camera is extremely worth it. Anyway, a few tips:

Keep the camera still when taking pictures.

Use flash whenever possible in low-light conditions (never on the subway or when taking a picture of a bus)

Keep the camera straight so your pictures do not come out at a weird angle. There is software that fixes un-straight photos though.

If underground, keep the ISO at 400 (it's the setting which adjusts sensitivity to light, making your pictures come out more "grainy" but helps prevent blur)

Also, there is a thread about shooting tips in low-light conditions, I would check that out.

All I can say and I agree with R160B8713 is LEARN before you buy anything expensive. Learn about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, exposure, composition, lenses, and all that good stuff.

A good site is http://www.kenrockwell.com

Research and learn to know everything about a camera and then I'd suggest buying a Nikon D40 and a 55-200mm VR lens

All I can say and I agree with R160B8713 is LEARN before you buy anything expensive. Learn about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, exposure, composition, lenses, and all that good stuff.

I had a feeling that taking Photography as an elective would pay off sooner or later.

Thanks.

Archived