Washington Heights-168 St Station (A)(C)(1)

Luis1985

Washington Heights-168 Street Station

(A)(C)(1)

Transfers between the (A)(C) and the (1) are usually made via elevator. in case of an emergency where the elevators stop working, or there is a power outage and people are at the (1) platform, how the hell do people get out of there? not for nothing, it doesnt look safe and those elevators are scary.

My opinion, they should really rebuild the station with STAIRS, ESCALATORS, and ADA elevators so that passengers can have easier transfer between the (A)(C) and (1), instead of being forced to take those nasty scary looking elevators.

Anybody agree??

Yeah I agree. I was once on the elevators and I was stuck with a few people for like 5 min. They need stairwells This also goes for 181st Street Station on (1)

Btw topic should be moved to General Subway forum, as its IRT and IND related~

The (1) line station is too far down underground to have stairs to the IND and Street level. I assume they have an emegency staircase down in that tunnel somewere in case something goes wrong. If not you could always walk the trackbed to ethier Dykeman or 137th street LOL. I could be wrong but IIRC those other deep bore stations on the (1) line the elevators are the ONLY way to get to and from street level.

I can honestly say that those Upper Manhattan (1) stations give me the creeps.

Culver line stations are creepy too, the staircases creek and have big holes in them. They feel like there going to give away when you walk on them. Not to mention the non booth mezzines, there always empty and Quiet. Nevins ST (The underpass connecting the mantthan bound platform to the New lots/Flatbush/Utica bound platform) and some (G) line stations are creepy too IMO.

168 St (A)(C)(1)

181 St (A)

181 St (1)

190 St (A)

191 St (1)

Clark St (2)(3)

Court St (M)(N)(R) (Montague St Exit)*

(ive taken the stairs at Montague St Exit and it looks kinda creepy. how did i do down those stairs? i followed some lady and i asked her "is the elevator the only way to go down?" and she said "you can take the elevator or the stairs." so i walked down the stairs with her.)

But yea...those stations listed above need stairs or escalators at least.

im pretty sure the (MTA) can come up with a better way instead of making people transfer to trains via elevator connections. at least build some escalators. i mean look at these examples:

Roosevelt Island (F):

its soooooooooo far down to the platform, but they have escalators, stairs and elevators.

Lexington Av-63 St (F):

Same Thing.

Lexington Av-59 St (N)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6):

Same Thing.

Lexington Av-53 St/51 St (E)(V)(6):

Same Thing.

Exchange Place (PATH):

Same Thing.

Whitehall St-South Ferry (N)(R)(W)(1)*:

SAME THING except Elevators at the (N)(R)(W) Platform.

*(N) via Late Nights Only.

Culver line stations are creepy too, the staircases creek and have big holes in them. They feel like there going to give away when you walk on them. Not to mention the non booth mezzines, there always empty and Quiet. Nevins ST (The underpass connecting the mantthan bound platform to the New lots/Flatbush/Utica bound platform) and some (G) line stations are creepy too IMO.

yea but at least they have access to stairs. i dont mind taking the stairs. its just elevator connections that creep me out.

Umm, as a daily Culver line rider, I find nothing wrong with the stairways.

yea me either, same with West end (D) Line, The (A) line between Lefferts Blvd and 80 St, the (1) line between 242 St and Dyckman St, the (N)(W) line in Astoria, the (3) line between Sutter Av-Rutland Rd and New Lots Ave, the (2)(4)(5)(6) lines in the Bronx and some (7) stations in Queens.

All stations that have elevators have stairs. Most of the time the have a sign that says Emergency Exit because that is what they are ment for. Many of them are built like EEs and are very dirty since they are not ment for every day use, but they are there.

All stations that have elevators have stairs. Most of the time the have a sign that says Emergency Exit because that is what they are ment for. Many of them are built like EEs and are very dirty since they are not ment for every day use, but they are there.

i hope i can find them cuz i hate taking the elevator at 168 St.

i hope i can find them cuz i hate taking the elevator at 168 St.

There is one next to the elevators, but not open for any1> Unless emergency~

And if that dont work, we can all walk to 191st or 157 or the EL lol

I've been in the station when the all elevators have gone out, and climbed up the station's sole emergency stairwell.

It's not fun.

Somehow the homeless find their way into it, and when I was walking up it, I had to climb over mattresses, sleeping bags, and molding pizza and bagels.

Many people don't realize how deep the (1) station at 168 St is—I counted 17 flights, approx. 8 stories underground. Along with being narrow, not well-ventilated, and not cleaned regular, I don't see the MTA opening it up for public use anytime soon.

I've been in the station when the all elevators have gone out, and climbed up the station's sole emergency stairwell.

It's not fun.

Somehow the homeless find their way into it, and when I was walking up it, I had to climb over mattresses, sleeping bags, and molding pizza and bagels.

Many people don't realize how deep the (1) station at 168 St is—I counted 17 flights, approx. 8 stories underground. Along with being narrow, not well-ventilated, and not cleaned regular, I don't see the MTA opening it up for public use anytime soon.

yikes!

well i guess if i ever have to transfer to the (1), i'll be using other stations to make the switch. transfering between the (A)(C) and (1) at 168 st will NOT be done by me, lol. Making the 168 St, 181 St or 191 St (1) line Stops and getting off at those stations will NOT be done by me. id rather take the bus from 157 St. i did the (A) to (1) transfer once. When i got off that elevator, i said NEVER AGAIN.

Archived