2 express train

R142/A 340

The (2) was to run Express in the Bronx while the (5) as a Local before 2004~ since at E180th the trains needed to switch, (5) heading to Dyre towards NE, and (2)<5>(238) to White Plains Rd-241st NW. It was to have the (2) as the White Plains Rd Express and (5) as the White Plains Rd Local. So the trains wouldnt be held at E180th to cross, but due to demands for West Side access by people living south of E180th to Jackson, it was canceled~

so now at E180th when the <5> bypasses West Farms, it needs to cross to Local track to get to dyre instead of waiting at E180th for the (2) to crossisng to the M track. Same for the (2)(<5> 238th) which would cross after West Farms. Sometimes the (5) Dyre would stay at E180th while the (2) goes a head, same as the (2) would stay and (5) goes first~

Man hopfully when I get C/R job , hope to do IRT first~

How comes the (MTA) does not make the (2) train go express in the bronx?...doesn't it have more stops than the <5>

Politics. The residents of Eastchester have more political clout than the residents of Wakefield. Even though it would be easier at East 180 street to have the 2 run express, the 5 is the express.

People living south of the East 180 Street station wanted a one seat ride to the west side to places like Times Square and Penn Station. Even with the (2) Bronx Local, it has a higher ridership than the (5) Bronx Express.

If the (3) could somehow run regular express service in the Bronx.

(3) does not go to the Bronx. It goes to Harlem 148th and 145- Malcolm X. If it went to Bronx County, it would cause delays on the WPR Line, plus people on Malcolm X blvd line(Leonx) who live north of 135th wont have access Uptown or downtown.

Some (3) of course does head to the bronx. But to access 239th Yd~ Of course not in service!

The 2's heavy crowds lie in the fact that it is local, and some of those stops between East 149th and East 180th are among the most crowded in the Bronx. Therefore, I say it's best that it stays the way it is.

I don't think the issue is which is local or express. Their are a lot of stops between E180th and 149th St. I don't see why Intervale Ave is still up and it's a short distance between Prospect & Simpson Avenue stations.

Here are the ridership figures for the IRT White Plains Road line (as of 2007):

53. 3rd Avenue-149th Street: 7,095,262

145. 149th Street-Grand Concourse: 3,112,547

162. Simpson Street: 2,816,136

193. Pelham Parkway 2,313,326

199. West Famrs Square-East Tremont Avenue: 2,266,956

201. Prospect Avenue: 2,208,977

208. 174th Street: 2,047,981

238. East 180th Street: 1,824,605

251. Gun Hill Road: 1,739,590

271. Allerton Avenue: 1,574,252

278. Jackson Avenue: 1,527,291

300. 233rd Street: 1,375,404

310. Wakefield-241st Street: 1,272,043

333. 225th Street: 1,095,409

339. Freeman Street: 1,043,539

345. Burke Avenue: 1,019,924

367. Nereid Avenue: 857,763

368. Bronx Park East: 856,682

369. 219th Street: 854,553

373 Intervale Avenue: 826,760

Mind Linking me to the source?

Yeah, it would be better for (2) service to operate express in the Bronx. What they should do is operate the (2) local south of East 180th Street and express north. <5>s to Wakefield can run express south of East 180th Street and local north of it, and the (5) to Dyre would be the full-time Bronx local. Of course there would be need for more (5)s, and the Lexington Avenue Expressse are crowded enough as they are. Maybe when the Second Avenue Subway is complete they could implememt this plan as the new line would alleviate crowding on the Lex.

Yeah, it would be better for (2) service to operate express in the Bronx. What they should do is operate the (2) local south of East 180th Street and express north. <5>s to Wakefield can run express south of East 180th Street and local north of it, and the (5) to Dyre would be the full-time Bronx local. Of course there would be need for more (5)s, and the Lexington Avenue Expressse are crowded enough as they are. Maybe when the Second Avenue Subway is complete they could implememt this plan as the new line would alleviate crowding on the Lex.

I think they should keep it the way it is because that idea sounds a bit confusing to me. Also think of Wakefield and how bad that'd be.

The (2) at this point is fine the way it is. Outside of the (1) the (2) is about the only Seventh Ave that goes through a large portion of the Bronx. I know for a fact its annoying when making all those stops along the White Plains Line locally.

But there was a plan to have the Dyre Ave Line connect w/ the Pelham - the (5) could've took advantage of that and there would've been enough space on the White Plains Line to have the (2) run local and the (3) to run express during rush hours

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/1939_IND_Second_System.jpg

Well, it's just an opinion so no need to get all dramatic over it. And it can't be proven that the (5) needs to get to Manhattan "as quick as possible", except for the only common knowledge fact that the Lexington Line is crowded as hell during rush hours. Yeah, the riders do know what they want, and time will tell that it's time for White Plains Rd-7th Avenue Express through service.

I'm laughing at this post. The (5) is better off runing as the peak direction express for one main reason, the (5) needs to get back into Manhattan as quick as possible. Just to let you know, the (5) doesn't terminate at Wakefield-241st Street. It used to but not any more.

Well, it's just an opinion so no need to get all dramatic over it. And it can't be proven that the (5) needs to get to Manhattan "as quick as possible", except for the only common knowledge fact that the Lexington Line is crowded as hell during rush hours. Yeah, the riders do know what they want, and time will tell that it's time for White Plains Rd-7th Avenue Express through service.

except for the only common knowledge fact that the Lexington Line is crowded as hell during rush hours.

Well, you nailed that point. If the (5) made every stop down to Manhattan during AM hours, look how packed it would be. The (5) already has crowding issues during this time in Manhattan. If it makes local stops from 180th to 149th, it will only exacerbate the current situation. It's not doing anybody much good.

Well, you nailed that point. If the (5) made every stop down to Manhattan during AM hours, look how packed it would be. The (5) already has crowding issues during this time in Manhattan. If it makes local stops from 180th to 149th, it will only exacerbate the current situation. It's not doing anybody much good.

Yeah you bring a point. The (5), if I'm correct, is the most crowded line in the entire subway system during rush hours, so you're probably right about the fact that it needs to get back to Manhattan without the extra crowding. But why isn't the (2) as crowded? Maybe because of the adjacent CPW Express. I guarantee that with the Second Avenue Subway, crowding will be less of an issue and then the MTA can consider different provisions for their lines if they need to.

No major offense taken...just throwing out an idea. Believe me, I have so many ideas that can revitalize the transit system, but what can we do?

Yeah you bring a point. The (5), if I'm correct, is the most crowded line in the entire subway system during rush hours, so you're probably right about the fact that it needs to get back to Manhattan without the extra crowding. But why isn't the (2) as crowded? Maybe because of the adjacent CPW Express. I guarantee that with the Second Avenue Subway, crowding will be less of an issue and then the MTA can consider different provisions for their lines if they need to.

No major offense taken...just throwing out an idea. Believe me, I have so many ideas that can revitalize the transit system, but what can we do?

Well I can't say much about which Lex line is the most crowded, but I can safely say, all three Lex lines have extensive crowding issues.

Well, based on the routes, the (2) has a more serpentine route. It cuts into Harlem, through Central Park, down on Broadway etc... the (5) offers a more direct route and ideally, time saving.

Archived