Automatic rear exit doors?

jeffmorris

I found out from Daily News that NYCTA is testing automatic rear exit doors that use sensors above the doors similar to automatic doors in stores. I'm not sure if they will work properly. What if people get on the bus through the rear doors? What if the doors open unexpectly?

But what I have to say is: Have people just push the doors open. Therefore, the B/O would be able to shut the doors, with the remaining people getting off holding them. This way, we could avoid a lot of fare beaters. In the morning, I always see a fare beater with a whole black bag of garbage boarding the bus in the back, or his MetroCard he has never works. But then again, I usually go up and tell the B/O about him, if he/she doesn't see him.

The MTA should do it the same way Bee-Line has it set up. If any of you aren't familiar or don't know what I'm talking about, I'll tell you. As the B/O opens up the front doors, the rear doors open simultaneously. The same situation exists when the doors close.

It can be done with NYCTA buses too. Their is a switch that the driver can toggle, to open up the rear doors automatically. I use to do it, when a person had alot of stuff, and couldn't reach the yellow tape on the door. Also the Bee-Line buses, have a rear door and front door switch and/or button. They can open and close both, or just one door (rear or front). NYCTA buses can do it too, depending on the direction the door handle is turned, and toggling that switch......

It can be done with NYCTA buses too. Their is a switch that the driver can toggle, to open up the rear doors automatically. I use to do it, when a person had alot of stuff, and couldn't reach the yellow tape on the door. Also the Bee-Line buses, have a rear door and front door switch and/or button. They can open and close both, or just one door (rear or front). NYCTA buses can do it too, depending on the direction the door handle is turned, and toggling that switch......

What I think the OP means though is that this would be automatic instead of an override toggle.

Archived