Possible IRT/BMT service to Staten Island

LRG

I made a user-created map with Google Maps that illustrates my hopes of linking the rest of the subway to Staten Island: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103758570965935928739.00046aae7476f3c52fdd9&t=h&z=12

The (1) train operates between Van Cortlandt Park-242nd Street and either Tottenville (SIR Main Line) or Arlington-South Avenue (abandoned North Shore Line) during the day, with skip-stop service between 242nd and Dyckman Streets and between 157th and 96th Streets; rush hour peak-direction service operates express in these sections; late night service is local. Trains also operate express between 96th Street and Chambers Street during the day, and local at night. Late night service operates to Arlington only.

The (9) train can be restored as the Staten Island Express, operating between Van Cortlandt Park-242nd Street in the Bronx and Clifton in Staten Island. The (9) can operate via skip-stop between 242nd and Dyckman Streets, and 157th and 96th Streets during the day; rush hour service in both directions can operate local. Service will also operate local in Manhattan below 96th Street. Late night service operates as the Staten Island Shuttle between Tottenville and Saint George, operating local.

The (R) can operate as the Staten Island Express between Forest Hills-71st Avenue and Tottenville, operatin local in Queens, manhattan and Brooklyn and Express in Staten Island between Rosebank (a proposed station) and Tottenville.

Thoughts?

Extend the SIR, not the (R). The (R) is too long and making it a 4-borough local is not a good idea. Also, the SIR and the subway can not run together. I would extend the SIR to Brooklyn.
agreed.B)

Extend the SIR, not the (R). The (R) is too long and making it a 4-borough local is not a good idea. Also, the SIR and the subway can not run together. I would extend the SIR to Brooklyn.

Well since 2003 the MTA has wanted to merge the New York City Subway with the SIR and form MTA subways, but there is no physical connection with either of the lines. Also, there is a false wall below 95th Street on the R, which is a possible extension to Staten Island and via the Verrazzano Bridge. There have been four-borough trains in the past (the (C) became the first train to operate in four boroughs), and the (M) operates four boroughs during rush hours, although Brooklyn is served twice.

BTW, the (R) is the full-time Staten Island Express; the (1) will operate local during the day and the (9) replaces it during late nights.

*sigh* not this again. Read the previous topics on this forum as to why this wouldn't be feasible.

Plans have always changed for Staten Island service anyway. So I've read that the bridge cannot carry train traffic across the bridge. Isn't it possible that they can build one adjacent to it, similar to how the Roosevelt Island Tramway is connected tothe Queensborough Bridge but is considered a different structure? Bridges are cheaper than tunnels anyway. And the only case that they'd need to build a tunnel would be for the (1)/(9) from Manhattan to SI.

Think about it. The Staten Island can't be isolated from the subway system forever! There needs to be better and efficient service between Staten Island and Manhattan than relying on a ferry or express buses that are bound to get caught in traffic on the Gownaus!

Thank you! Staten Island needs some extra lines. :)

Yes, yes it does. And we can convince the MTA to send trains to the forgotten borough. So what if past plans and situations prohibited this? Can it affect this service from being implemented now? With improvement of technology and the bailout the MTA is receiving, it's less likely that anything of the past can stop anything in the present. And the talks that light rail service may be linked between SI and New Jersey is a shame, and they can't link rail service between SI and Brooklyn or Manhattan.

*sigh* not this again. Read the previous topics on this forum as to why this wouldn't be feasible.

Agreed, there are many threads on this topic and in them there are a hundred posts detailing how hard it would be to connect the island to the rest of the system.

I'll give you this though, there was a plan to build a subway under Fort Hamilton Parkway. I'd say send the G down from Court Square, extend it to Staten Island via Culver, Fort Hamilton and maybe over the bridge into the island.

Agreed, there are many threads on this topic and in them there are a hundred posts detailing how hard it would be to connect the island to the rest of the system.

I'll give you this though, there was a plan to build a subway under Fort Hamilton Parkway. I'd say send the G down from Court Square, extend it to Staten Island via Culver, Fort Hamilton and maybe over the bridge into the island.

Hmmm...that I did not know, only the fact that the 4th Avenue tunnel extended from 95th Street, which mean possible service to SI.

Hmmm...that I did not know, only the fact that the 4th Avenue tunnel extended from 95th Street, which mean possible service to SI.

Based on maps and engineering knowledge, it is difficult to build a connection from 95th Street to the bridge. It is also a challenge itself to dig a new tunnel under the Narrows. Besides a line from Forest Hills, passing through Manhattan, through Brooklyn into Staten Island is ridiculously long.

Archived