Railfan Trip In July

here's my idea

at 11:00 AM we meet at the 7th Avenue (:)(Q) station in Brooklyn and take any (:) train to Brighton Beach but stopping to take pics at Kings Highway. Then we will take any (Q) train R68/R68A or R160B to Coney Island and then take the (D) to Bay 50th Street and back to Coney Island and take any (Q) train R68/R68A or R160B to Prospect Park for the (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle to Franklin Avenue for the (C) and take the (C) to Broadway Junction for the (A) and take any (A) train R44/R46 or possible R32 to Rockway Blvd and take pics there and take the (A) to Howard Beach. If possible we will have lunch there. Then probally at 1:00 PM we will take the JFK Air Tran to the (E) train and take the (E) R32/R40M/R42(R160A-2 or possible R160B to 7th Avenue-53rd Street and transfer for the (B) and take the (B) up Central Park West to W 125th Street. And then take the (A) Express to 207th Street Inwood and end our trip there. So what do you guys think?

here's my idea

at 11:00 AM we meet at the 7th Avenue (:)(Q) station in Brooklyn and take any (:) train to Brighton Beach but stopping to take pics at Kings Highway. Then we will take any (Q) train R68/R68A or R160B to Coney Island and then take the (D) to Bay 50th Street and back to Coney Island and take any (Q) train R68/R68A or R160B to Prospect Park for the (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle to Franklin Avenue for the (C) and take the (C) to Broadway Junction for the (A) and take any (A) train R44/R46 or possible R32 to Rockway Blvd and take pics there and take the (A) to Howard Beach. If possible we will have lunch there. Then probally at 1:00 PM we will take the JFK Air Tran to the (E) train and take the (E) R32/R40M/R42(R160A-2 or possible R160B to 7th Avenue-53rd Street and transfer for the (B) and take the (B) up Central Park West to W 125th Street. And then take the (A) Express to 207th Street Inwood and end our trip there. So what do you guys think?

I'm in! My first railfan trip. Let's hope we catch an R40 (A) if 1: they're scheduled to run to the Rockaways and 2: if there are any left! Long live the R40s!

And let's plan this on a Friday...for they sake of everyone's convenience.

DTC, I'll give you some ideas:

Based on what I saw from your previous pictures, you really covered CPW and the Brighton line. I'll say, you should consider Culver as part of the itinerary. The R40M, based on what I know, should be retiring then. The R160s on the F would be growing in number, the R40Ms dwindling. QBL is also a good choice, for the R may get R160s by then.

Considering getting the IRT as well.

Oh, add the Three Stooges lines into the trip.

here's my idea

The Brighton line isn't really changing soon, so even if it is scenic most of us have probably experienced the Brighton line a lot. Basically in your plan we do the Brighton line twice though we only have to do it once. Anyway, meeting up at Coney Island will be easier because then we will have more options (and there's cell phone service in case we need to keep contact about meeting). By July, the rest of the R40s will be retiring, so railfanning the (E) and (F) is a good idea. So this means railfanning on the Culver line is a great idea. Here are some of my suggestions:

- Meet up at Coney Island and wait for a SMEE (F) (we could buy lunch first and eat at the station while we wait)

- Take the (F) up to Jay, taking pics at Ditmas Ave. and 4th Ave.

- Take the (A) to Rockaway Blvd. The real fun of the Rockaways is after Howard Beach, so take a Rockaway (A) to Far Rockaway. Once we get to Far Rockaway we take the (A) to Rockaway Blvd.

- Since you want to do the (E), we have to get to Jamaica Center. Taking the AirTrain is more expensive than NYCT, so we are best off taking a bus (for the sake of time, money and a more direct route). We can take the (A) to Lefferts and the Q112 to Jamaica Center. Now the reason of this is NOT to busfan (though you can if you want :cool:) but just to get to Jamaica Center as an alternative to the (E).

- Once we get to Jamaica Center, if people don't eat at Coney Island we can eat at Jamaica Center since there's tons of food places there. There are a lot of good places to get pics on the (E) so we take the (E) to 7th Ave. like you said.

- Continue trip like you said.

What do you think? We cover everything basically, except the Brighton line.

The Brighton line isn't really changing soon, so even if it is scenic most of us have probably experienced the Brighton line a lot. Basically in your plan we do the Brighton line twice though we only have to do it once. Anyway, meeting up at Coney Island will be easier because then we will have more options (and there's cell phone service in case we need to keep contact about meeting). By July, the rest of the R40s will be retiring, so railfanning the (E) and (F) is a good idea. So this means railfanning on the Culver line is a great idea. Here are some of my suggestions:

- Meet up at Coney Island and wait for a SMEE (F) (we could buy lunch first and eat at the station while we wait)

- Take the (A) to Rockaway Blvd. The real fun of the Rockaways is after Howard Beach, so take a Rockaway (A) to Far Rockaway. Once we get to Far Rockaway we take the (A) to Rockaway Blvd.

- Since you want to do the (E), we have to get to Jamaica Center. Taking the AirTrain is more expensive than NYCT, so we are best off taking a bus (for the sake of time, money and a more direct route). We can take the (A) to Lefferts and the Q112 to Jamaica Center. Now the reason of this is NOT to busfan (though you can if you want :cool:) but just to get to Jamaica Center as an alternative to the (E).

- Once we get to Jamaica Center, if people don't eat at Coney Island we can eat at Jamaica Center since there's tons of food places there. There are a lot of good places to get pics on the (E) so we take the (E) to 7th Ave. like you said.

This itinerary is pretty good. I'm in definitely.

Same here! Will the meeting time be the same?

on one condition. I can't go to far to the Rockaways and I want us to start off by making a stop on the (D) to Bay 50th Street and back down Coney Island to the (F).

here's my idea

on one condition. I can't go to far to the Rockaways and I want us to start off by making a stop on the (D) to Bay 50th Street and back down Coney Island to the (F).

OK, then the meeting place should be at Bay 50th St. on the (D) front car, Southbound platform. Same time. Also, is there any reason you're not allowed that far into the Rockaways? I mean you are with a group after all so it's safe enough.

OK, then the meeting place should be at Bay 50th St. on the (D) front car, Southbound platform. Same time. Also, is there any reason you're not allowed that far into the Rockaways? I mean you are with a group after all so it's safe enough.

my parents dosen't like the area.

Exactly. Say you're studying. That's what I do sometimes. Otherwise I'd just saying to them, I'm railfanning.

Well if I'm correct, they don't care about him railfanning, they just don't want him going to the Rockaways, but really, how would they find out? I've been to Staten Island a few times without my mom having a clue!

And let's see if we can meet at around 10:40 or so before we set out at 11 so people can take their time getting there...if anyone gets left behind because they're late...that's on them, unless they want to get ahead by meeting at Coney Island on the (D) platform by the bumper blocks instead of Bay 50th, just in case.

last time I did that I was banned from taking trains for 2 weeks

Gee... your parents are really protective. But those are your parents, I can't much.

But I have to tell you, if you want to be a railfanner in the city, I advise you to go through every nook and cranny of the system that is available to you. The system is more than Brighton and CPW. Virtually navigating the system through other's pics is not comparable to actually witnessing them in real life. So make the most of it if you can.

Well unless they're able to read these posts (do they keep track of the websites you visit anyway?) then you're perfectly fine...it's not like they can track where you are on the train all the time anyway.

Gee... your parents are really protective. But those are your parents, I can't much.

But I have to tell you, if you want to be a railfanner in the city, I advise you to go through every nook and cranny of the system that is available to you. The system is more than Brighton and CPW. Virtually navigating the system through other's pics is not comparable to actually witnessing them in real life. So make the most of it if you can.

Agreed...although I told my mom I went to the new South Ferry Station on opening day to take some pics afterwards and she didn't have a problem with it.

I'm not trying to be a bad influence or anything but if you're already railfanning, it's not like they know where exactly you're going. The neighborhoods the (A) travels through in Brooklyn are just as bad if not worse in the daytime than Far Rockaway is (which isn't saying much since this is the daytime). If you want to do the Rockaways, just say you'll get home at a certain time (i.e. 3:30) with your trip itinterary. If they want to see your trip details, add something that will take up those 30-40 minutes.

i.e. if you want to do the Rockaways, say that meet up at coney island, take the (D) to Bay 50th and back, take the (-_- to Prospect park and back, and then take the (F) to start the trip to Queens. In actuality we would only do the (D) and the (F) and the (:) time would be just the same as going further into the Rockaways.

I'm not trying to be a bad influence or anything but if you're already railfanning, it's not like they know where exactly you're going. The neighborhoods the (A) travels through in Brooklyn are just as bad if not worse in the daytime than Far Rockaway is (which isn't saying much since this is the daytime). If you want to do the Rockaways, just say you'll get home at a certain time (i.e. 3:30) with your trip itinterary. If they want to see your trip details, add something that will take up those 30-40 minutes.

i.e. if you want to do the Rockaways, say that meet up at coney island, take the (D) to Bay 50th and back, take the (-_- to Prospect park and back, and then take the (F) to start the trip to Queens. In actuality we would only do the (D) and the (F) and the (:) time would be just the same as going further into the Rockaways.

ok thats why I saved the (B) as the Central Park West Park of the trip.

ok thats why I saved the (-_- as the Central Park West Park of the trip.

Um...what I'm saying is we can still do the Rockaways without you telling your parents you are. For example, our current plan calls for taking the (D) to Coney Island, the (F) to Jay, the (A) to Howard Beach and back to Rock Blvd., the bus to Jamaica Center, the (E) back to 7th Ave, and then the (:)(C) to the (A) up to 207th. If your parents want to know, tell them that you will take the (E) to the (B) from 7th Ave. to 145th, the (D) to Bedford Park Blvd., and then down again home. Meanwhile, we will do the first trip that I listed earlier in this post, while going to the Rockaways instead of Howard Beach.

Archived