MTA NYC Transit Bus Operator FAQ

Y2Julio

mta_logo.gif

MTA Bus Operator FAQ

Thanks to Chris Frusci and ditja, who contributed to this FAQ.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Ok, I’ve taken the exam, now what? When will I get called?

A: After you take the test, you will receive a letter stating you list number. This could be anytime after taking the test, one month and could be up to one year. This is the same for everyone no matter what you scored

Q: After I receive my score and list number in the mail, how soon after should I expect to be hired?

A: Well there is still a few steps you need to go through before you get hired. First You need to take the psychological (BOSS) exam. Then you also need to take your drug test and your medical examination. So to answer the question, it could be anywhere from a year after you receive your list number, or it could be as long as three years depending on how well you scored.

Q: When is the drug test, and how thorough is the drug test?

A: The drug test is the second to last step before you get hired. The drug test consists of the applicant (you) urinating in a cup. They do not take any pieces of hair.

Q: Will I have notice before I get called for my drug test?

A: The notice comes very quickly. You can receive the notice any day of the week, and they only give you a couple of days notice to come in. For example, you will receive the notice on a Monday, and they will be asking you to come in three days later on that Thursday.

Q: I just took my boss exam a month ago and I didn't hear anything from the MTA yet. Should I be worried that I didn't pass?

A: No. The MTA does a terrible job in terms of notifying anyone if they passed or failed the exam. Do not expect to receive anything except the next notice to come in for the drug test.

Q: I have medical problems and I'm worried I might not pass the MTA's medical exam. What should I do?

A: The first thing you should do is be honest with yourself and your doctor as to what is wrong with you. Go to your doctor and have him "clear" you to go to the MTA. In other words, if you have had problems with high blood pressure, make sure you lower it and have your own doctor test you before you go to the MTA. Once he tests you and he feels you are ok, make him write you a note and bring that note to the MTA the day the mta is testing you. Also another tip: Don't be quick to release information to the mta about your health. Only unless its necessary. The MTA can use what you tell them against you.

Q: How hard is the psychological (BOSS) exam?

A: Its not really hard at all. Its only about two hundred questions but you have to pay attention. They only really ask you fifty questions, they just re-word each question four times. They are trying to catch you in a lie. Just make sure you answer the questions straight. There is no right or wrong answer.

Q: What does the training for Bus Operator consist of?

A: You will need to go to Zarega for more than 1 day. If you pass on the 7th day, that means Zerega for Monday, Day 8, 9, 10 and the following Monday. This Monday is for you to pick your Depot and measure your uniform. If you pass on Day 9 or Day 10, then you don’t need to go there for Day 8 and Day 9.

On Monday, they will assign an instructor, time and Depot for you. It can be a Depot in Brooklyn or all the way in the Bronx. They will give you either 6 or 10AM, depends on the instructor. Again, you have no choice, it’s random.

You actually have only 6 days of training, Day 7 is the road test. If you fail your road test on Day 7, you’ll get 1 more day of training. They will assign you with another instructor to correct your problem.

If you don’t have a CDL yet, you should have it before the training starts, as they assume you already know how to drive the bus. They are just teaching you the drive it their way.

• Day 1: They will take you out to the road for basic turning, mirror setting. Forward planning and other things.
  • Day 2: Tight turns, it’s the hardest day. You will make tight turns that are 2 inches from hitting a car or a wall on both sides. Super tight, yikes!
  • Day 3: Learn to make bus stops, near side, far side. Backing up and parking.
  • Day 4: Elevated pillars.
  • Day 5: They will take you to Upper Manhattan, making all kinds of turns and stops.
  • Day 6: They will take you to Lower Manhattan to experience traffic, people, bikes. During these days you will get highway training in between too.
  • Day 7: You will take your road test.

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...
[Hey i heard the mta has went back to court on the contract.Are they still hiring or are we on hold?:confused:

Yes MTA did block the contract and went to court to fight. Hiring im not sure but i don't think they not on hold. Why r u on the list???? i see you from Florida and so am i. BTW i used to work for MTA for 5 years and i left to move here. Don't ask why.

David

HART Service Attendant

Tampa,Florida

Yes on list 2901.i worked for the private lines for a long time .moved to florida about 3 years ago.working for lee transit.dont really like it down here in florida.

You mean LeeTran Transit in Fort Myers,FL???? That a small bus transit. I understand you don't like florida and good luck when MTA call you but don't let them fool you. I know how MTA are.

David

HART Service Attendant

Tampa,Florida:cool:

Thanks.I know i have a little bit of a wait but its worth it. The mta runs like a tight machine.i find myself working for mickey mouse down here cant handle it.lol

Yeah tell me about Mickey Mouse town. i used to transport guests from the hotels to parks and man they are in the pain in the a** and keep asking same question over over over over. That it why i left MEARS motor coach operator to HART Service Attendant last week.

David

HART Service Attendant

yeah man i think florida is for old people and drunks.i was in tampa last weekend looked like a city.is it ture? i heard they went smoke free.wont hire you if you smoke cigg"s

Florida is for everybody not old people or something. My last job working a motor coach driver i have over 2/3 of them are from Up North, Northeast, and Northwest. Some of them are from New York City and told me they can't stand NYC and down here to have better life. And 4 out of 5 students from HART Training are from New York City and one of them was about to go back to New York City because he been out of work over a year & now he got a job and he not going back to New York City.

David

HART Service Attendant

• 3 months later...

yes those are the answers . and they use rts for like the first part and the next day they ship out to statenisland and then manhattan . and my friends father is a bus driver at mjq in manhattan and he told me when you take that test the tight turning is very hard but just belive in yourself and youll get the hang of it its not that bad . and he also told me that when you take the test they put you in like this booth and you have to listen to these little beeps on the earphones and you have to take a eye test also .

Okay, I'll explain how it works step by step.

1) You'd have to check the exam listing. One test occurs about every 5 years. The link is below:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/examschedule.shtml

2) Apply for the exam with the instructions they give you. You will have to pay $40 or so to take that exam.

3) You will receive an admission card in the mail a few days before the exam date.

4) Go take the exam.

5) Within a month to a year, you will receive your list number and exam score. You'll have to wait to be called. You will have an interview, a medical exam/screening, and something else I keep forgetting...

Side Note: Having connections with an MTA employee will not get you in the MTA whatsoever.

Okay, I'll explain how it works step by step.

1) You'd have to check the exam listing. One test occurs about every 5 years. The link is below:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/examschedule.shtml

2) Apply for the exam with the instructions they give you. You will have to pay $40 or so to take that exam.

3) You will receive an admission card in the mail a few days before the exam date.

4) Go take the exam.

5) Within a month to a year, you will receive your list number and exam score. You'll have to wait to be called. You will have an interview, a medical exam/screening, and something else I keep forgetting...

Side Note: Having connections with an MTA employee will not get you in the MTA whatsoever.

Don't forget about the CDL. Also ciboii22, your questions have been answered before, so please cease asking the same thing over and over again. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15234

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi. I have taken the 2613 exam and recently the BOSS exam for the same test. I plan on taking the CDL exam for a learners permit in August as the proctor indicated the list will be established in September. Do I need to have the CDL license when they call me to report to Zerega or is the CDL permit ok?

• 2 weeks later...

How long does it take for MTA to notify you of your Drug test results?

They normally don't contact you with drug test results. The results are usually back within 2-3 business days as per the individual's who administer the tests. However, if you call the staff will say 2-90 days which the 90 days is how long the test is valid.

You can call and ask but depending on who you speak with if they decide to respond they will just say pass/ fail. Once you pass you will only receive a call as to when to report for medical if you failed you will only receive a letter saying your no longer being considered for the position.