Free Rides at Jay!

At the north end of the station (the MetroTech entrance), there is a new fare line that is being unveiled. However, that section has not been opened yet since it is still under construction. The turnstiles have been deactivated and the stiles have been removed. The emergency gate has been removed of as well. Dozens of confused straphangers were quizzical when they approached the partially dismantled turnstiles. Construction workers waved them on, telling them that it was a free ride.

Old meets new in this zone. The old tiles adorn the existing fare line and the stairs to the trains. New tiles embellish the new fare line (which will probably be opened next week). The existing fare line will be dismantled probably during this weekend, a part of it will probably be converted to a work zone. From the MTA Building, one will continue to use the stairs that lead to the station mezzanine, but will have to turn left along a small passageway to the new fare line. Straphangers would not be able to turn right, like what they are doing as of now.

Jay Update:

Northbound F train platform, around the 7th car position, the wall is ripped apart. Standing on the platform, one can see through the hole into a construction zone. On that platform, I clearly saw a sign that said "Lawrence Street-MetroTech". I don't know what this construction zone is for, as it abuts the station wall.

Thanks for the update. That Lawrence-Metrotech sign is where I believe the connection will be built.

I believe so too, it probably will be connected to the mezzanine level of Jay Street.

There are also stanchion columns in that section of the platform as well.

The holes in the wall have been there for maybe 3 months, I would see them every day going to class downtown. I am glad to see this project going ahead, it has been needed for a while.

As for the contractors letting people into the system, too bad no one from RTO or station dept. were there so all the fares could have been billed to the contractor.

The holes in the wall have been there for maybe 3 months, I would see them every day going to class downtown. I am glad to see this project going ahead, it has been needed for a while.

As for the contractors letting people into the system, too bad no one from RTO or station dept. were there so all the fares could have been billed to the contractor.

Yeah, the station agent wasn't there as well. I'm surprised if RTO doesn't know about this, though. There are a few of them inside the tower directly under the fare line.

Is this the stairway from the connection? Because I never saw it before at Jay.

344-1-1.jpg

Where did you take this, on the platform? Because this stairway leads to the mezzanine inside fare control. There is a portion of the mezzanine that is shuttered for renovations.

Where did you take this, on the platform? Because this stairway leads to the mezzanine inside fare control. There is a portion of the mezzanine that is shuttered for renovations.

ohh.. I took that on the Manhattan Bound platform toward the middle-back, back in April. It was around the blue construction walls with a door leading inside

ohh.. I took that on the Manhattan Bound platform toward the middle-back, back in April. It was around the blue construction walls with a door leading inside

Oh that, that stair leads up, so it connects to a closed part of the mezzanine.

They are probably constructing stairs that lead down to Lawrence Street.

Yeah, the station agent wasn't there as well. I'm surprised if RTO doesn't know about this, though. There are a few of them inside the tower directly under the fare line.

actually (and.. i COULD be WRONG).. but this seems like it would most likely fall under the hands of STATION DEPT rather than RTO...as 'STATION' has the 'manpower' to have 'station agents' (as noted).. posted there or around the area so that the riding public doesn't use this as FREE ENTRY....also.. i'm wondering.. DOESN'T the 'area' BEFORE the particular unfinished work area... APPEAR..'UNFINISHED'??? if so.. i know I WOULD be skeptical as to walk through an 'unfinished' and a 'possibly' HARD HAT area as a customer...even as an EMPLOYEE..WITHOUT MY HELMET ON....hmm.. looks like a LAWSUIT in the makings.. oops..did i SAY that?!?! LOL...

actually (and.. i COULD be WRONG).. but this seems like it would most likely fall under the hands of STATION DEPT rather than RTO...as 'STATION' has the 'manpower' to have 'station agents' (as noted).. posted there or around the area so that the riding public doesn't use this as FREE ENTRY....also.. i'm wondering.. DOESN'T the 'area' BEFORE the particular unfinished work area... APPEAR..'UNFINISHED'??? if so.. i know I WOULD be skeptical as to walk through an 'unfinished' and a 'possibly' HARD HAT area as a customer...even as an EMPLOYEE..WITHOUT MY HELMET ON....hmm.. looks like a LAWSUIT in the makings.. oops..did i SAY that?!?! LOL...

True, RTO handles the operations of trains (hence the name RTO). There were no station agents there AFAIK. But even if they were there, they would probably give the people a free ride. If they want to collect every single fare, they would have to close off that entrance and the fare line. This will deem very inconvenient for many, as that particular entrance is visited by many passengers. They could use the other entrance, but again, the station department would have to close down the fare line altogether to prevent people from slipping out. And I doubt that happens.

Archived