Best Time For R32-R42 (A)(E)(F)(R) trains Hunting?

Last time I went on the (E) I did end up riding on a R160. Very strange, it's like they don't belong out there.

The first time I saw a 160 (E) at W4 it did look a bit strange considering the rattleboxes that they were running before that (the 32s primarily). Now, I enjoy the 160s ride on the (E) greatly. The comfort and quietness of the ride generously compensates for the lack of RFW.

R46s are no spring chickens, been in service for 31-34 years now.

Per the E, the MTA had it that it ran the R32s while the rest of the QB lines ran the R46s. So, some E passengers got sick of it, especially when other lines were introducing the R160s a few years ago. The R160s didn't have the station dwell problems of the R46s so the E was overdue to get them.

Overall, I don't think the E passengers would have complained as much had the E ran an R46/R32 mix and the other lines as well. There was a perception that the E had the highest ridership, yet the perceived crappiest trains, and some of the large passenger base using the Archer Av. terminal perceived it as discrimination (I don't agree with that).

Now, it's up to the passengers to show respect to public property and not abuse the new equipment they've been requesting for years. Sadly, some aren't, and the E is a line that attracts many homeless people.

Ditto to the last paragraph, at around 6-something in the morning you see a lot of homeless people on the (E) at WTC and Canal, which also explains homeless people sleeping at Spring Street at the north end. T think the older cars attract more homeless people than the newer ones for some reason.

• 2 months later...

What day of the week?

Weekdays they run on the (A), (C), (R) and (V). The (V) is still almost all SMEE so you can try at any station (I'd recommend Queens stations).

The (R) runs R42s all day but only 1 or 2 sets. Try at stations like DeKalb Ave., City Hall, or anywhere with an island platform so you can get the train if it goes in either direction. You can also try at Forest Hills if you want to get the train into Manhattan/Brooklyn.

The (C) is 100% R32, and since you have 324752948572936528365842359724092479582759137620943719306734891797813498617349865341093759485793875091 + 2 pictures of the (C) on Central Park West I'd advise you take pics along the Fulton St. line, like Utica Ave.

The (A) runs a few R32s, I suggest you wait at Broadway- Nassau or High St. and ride an (A) train to the Rockaways. Leffets is good too.

The (V) is NOT almost all SMEE. There are between 3-4 sets of R46s now. Twice this week I got a R46 (V). When a R160 arrives at JAM now, it goes to the (F) and it bumps a R46 to the (V), knocking out a set of SMEE.

The (C) is your best bet. Since it is 100% SMEE. Besides tunnel, there's nothing much to see.

For the (A), there are a few R32s hanging out. Try 34th Street-Penn. The platform configuration will allow for you to grab a R32 A if it shows up on either track, and you won't need to go up and down a few flights just to reach it. Take it uptown since you won't be able to get the CPW express that much. Try the Rockaway branch since there is a better view. But since you don't venture into Queens, you should try other lines.

The (R) runs a few and Forest Hills is your good bet. IINM, there should be at least 1 PM put-in from JAM that is a SMEE.

Don't count on the (F) for SMEEs at the moment. It's all R160 and R46.

I got no luck finding R42s, the last time I was in NYC, the (V) that arrived was an R46, and I got R46s on the (R) and a GO knocked out the (V) entirely the time before that. I suppose if you are patient you might catch one of the older trains. Its hard for me since I have a limited window between both peak times on the LIRR to go around NYC on weekdays.

What day of the week?

Weekdays they run on the (A), (C), (R) and (V). The (V) is still almost all SMEE so you can try at any station (I'd recommend Queens stations).

The (R) runs R42s all day but only 1 or 2 sets. Try at stations like DeKalb Ave., City Hall, or anywhere with an island platform so you can get the train if it goes in either direction. You can also try at Forest Hills if you want to get the train into Manhattan/Brooklyn.

The (C) is 100% R32, and since you have 324752948572936528365842359724092479582759137620943719306734891797813498617349865341093759485793875091 + 2 pictures of the (C) on Central Park West I'd advise you take pics along the Fulton St. line, like Utica Ave.

The (A) runs a few R32s, I suggest you wait at Broadway- Nassau or High St. and ride an (A) train to the Rockaways. Leffets is good too.

I do the same, Your correct, Also the (A), If you want an R32 on the (A0, be at 59 st around 4:15-5:00, One should pop up around that time and It would be a lefferts, Sometime you can get a Rock Pk one if lucky, and That R32 set runs all the way until 11:30pm, ther are 2 sets.

And the (R) runs 1 R32 All day, 3R40M/R42's all day and they add 1 put in at 71st ave around 4pm

They should run some R32s on the Rockaway Park (S) Shuttle train in addition to the R44, to get the best view out front going towards Rock Park. Also, they should swap some (D) R68s with some R40M/42s used on the (R) and (V) so that the D can get some corner cab railfan wondow cars so that we can get a great view out front going down the BMT West End "L" towards CI, that's pretty cool, and the BMT Brighton <Q> should get some of the R42s from the (R) and that (R) line could get some of the <Q>'s R68s for the same exact rilfan window reason when going down the BMT Brighton with the three surface changes from open cut through ground level and "L" Structure

They should run some R32s on the Rockaway Park (S) Shuttle train in addition to the R44, to get the best view out front going towards Rock Park. Also, they should swap some (D) R68s with some R40M/42s used on the (R) and (V) so that the D can get some corner cab railfan wondow cars so that we can get a great view out front going down the BMT West End "L" towards CI, that's pretty cool, and the BMT Brighton <Q> should get some of the R42s from the (R) and that (R) line could get some of the <Q>'s R68s for the same exact rilfan window reason when going down the BMT Brighton with the three surface changes from open cut through ground level and "L" Structure

they use to run 32s on the rock park shuttle. they dont now and wont since its an OPTO line now. The only times youll even see a conductor is on the weekends during the summer when they run full lenght trains for all the beach goers. even then, no 32s. any 32s in rock park are either extras for far rock service or one of the 5 reserved for peak (A) rock pk service.

I do the same, Your correct, Also the (A), If you want an R32 on the (A0, be at 59 st around 4:15-5:00, One should pop up around that time and It would be a lefferts, Sometime you can get a Rock Pk one if lucky, and That R32 set runs all the way until 11:30pm, ther are 2 sets.

And the (R) runs 1 R32 All day, 3R40M/R42's all day and they add 1 put in at 71st ave around 4pm

how many SMEEs on the (V) cause I saw mostly R46s on that line today?

actually I heard that R44s thru R160s aren't SMEEs. But I wonder how many R32s, R40Ms and R42s are on the (V). Today I saw mostly R46s on the (V)
You heard wrong.

All cars R10-R68A are SMEE's. SMEE generally refers to the R10-R42s. The R44-R68A are all SMEE's - they are all interoperable mechanically, but not operationally, I think.
Nope, The R-44 and R-46 cannot operate together. They have different brake pipe pressure. They also cannot couple to other SMEEs due to having a different coupler.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=151212#post151212

You heard wrong.

Nope, The R-44 and R-46 cannot operate together. They have different brake pipe pressure. They also cannot couple to other SMEEs due to having a different coupler.

Other car classes also fall in the category of being able to hook up but can't fun together. The R142s and the R142As can hook up but can't run together. The R142As and the R143s, which are just brother and sister running on different divisions, can hook up and run together if needed. R143s and R160s CANNOT run together. The R160 Siemens and Alstom can run together, but the ride is not very smooth because of the different mechanics the two propulsion systems have. it's just like how the R68s and the R68As can't hook up either because the R68As braking and acceleration always kicks in a couple seconds late.

You heard wrong.

That's what I meant, that they can't operate together operationally. I thought you could do it mechanically, say, have a train half R44 and half R46 as a not-in-service transfer across two yards (hypothetically speaking).

Archived