R188 Arrival on the 7 line

• 10 months later...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=927848

Now everyone this is for real. The order goes to Kawasaki and the R188s will arrive by the fourth quarter of 2012.

Question would this be considered news?

We knew it was coming, but rumors were last year, now 2012. Maybe this explains why Westchester yard has let their Kawasakis go to hell, with those numerous dead motors, squealing brakes, and bucking............

Excellent!!! Kawasaki makes some good ass trains.My favorite train of all time is the ass kicking R142A's!! I hope these R188's don't look nothing like the M8's but as long as these cars run good and sound good like the Kawasaki R142A & 62 I will love 'em! Good2 hear this order was placed.

Wow Bombardier didnt even roll the dice for the Order claiming the order was "too small" SMH@ Bombardier.You guys let me down.:)

TBH I wasn't surprised one bit. Bombardier makes POS cars that gives the MTA problems, two examples being the M7 and the R142. I'm glad Bombardier didn't bother to bid, it also means I won't have to hear crappy Alstom propulsion that already bugs the living daylights out of me everytime an R160A passes by.

Well... Now the RFW comes to the Bronx/Manhattan via Lex, bout time lol. (6) goes back on its feet with good old OTT.

I wish Bombardier were to win, love there R62As/R142s!

Or maybe the WPR ill get it.. But we just gotta wait til 2012+ to see this happening

But maybe the (6) ill do since the Flushing R62As have the LEDs which can be used for the (6)<6>.

Im curies tho, is it even possible to split the R62A with the (2)(5)(6) if there isn't enough 142As on Westchester to cover Coronas line?

Do elaborate.

Actually I retract that statement. However, I've heard reports of the M7 giving issues early on during their entry to service such as flat wheels. However, that problem did occur only due to leaves on the tracks that caused the issue so that really cannot be blamed on the train itself as a whole. Besides any train could have that issue. BUT...whenever an old train fleet has to be reactivated to make service then you know that something's not right. A perfect example would be when the R16s had to make service for the R46s when the 16s themselves were already shitting bricks. But the 46s proved to be reliable later on in the long run, and to an extent I'll have to say the M7s are okay cars themselves after the quirks were worked through.

Leaves on the tracks is an "issue" that has existed since, well, as long as railroads themselves. The decision to equip M7s (as well as R160s) with anti-lock brakes is a factor that greatly magnifies the flat-wheel issue.

Braking systems in any vehicle (be it automobile or train) should be 100% under control of the operator. I don't like anti-lock brakes in a car (my car doesn't have ABS) and many motormen don't like anti-lock brakes on their trains.

Anything can happen. That option might be possible. I'd like to see SMEEs back on the (6) again or put on the (2)/(5). Last time the (2)/(5) had SMEEs was 2001-2002.

Yep, but workers on these line ill need retraining. But man Id love a railfan view on my line (with the window pointing uptown)!!

Of course swapping at 239th/Flatbush will happen so idk..

But darn im gonna miss the R142s here!

TBH I wasn't surprised one bit. Bombardier makes POS cars that gives the MTA problems, two examples being the M7 and the R142. I'm glad Bombardier didn't bother to bid, it also means I won't have to hear crappy Alstom propulsion that already bugs the living daylights out of me everytime an R160A passes by.

Do elaborate.

The R142 MDBF is generally much higher than that of the R142A/S stock. With the cost of procuring parts, transportation expenses and the close location of the Yonkers facility, it wouldn't surprise me if a good number for future contracts are awarded to Kawasaki, even though I thought that I heard that they tended to not take on large orders. That may or not be true.

I know that Alstom lost the CBTC contract and then Alcatel had it and I think they lost it as well. I thought Siemens has the CBTC contract now, or was that just for the Canarsie Line and the R143 stock?

Archived