R188 Arrival on the 7 line

No offense to Bombardier, but that's kind of a stupid reason to not take the order. Even though the order is small at least they are still making money.
But I also think The(MTA) still had it i for Bombardier for messing up the R142 order.So maybe thats why as well that they wanted to just stay away.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The R142 MDBF is generally much higher than that of the R142A/S stock. With the cost of procuring parts, transportation expenses and the close location of the Yonkers facility, it wouldn't surprise me if a good number for future contracts are awarded to Kawasaki, even though I thought that I heard that they tended to not take on large orders. That may or not be true.

I know that Alstom lost the CBTC contract and then Alcatel had it and I think they lost it as well. I thought Siemens has the CBTC contract now, or was that just for the Canarsie Line and the R143 stock?

Kawasaki does have a tedency of not taking on the lions share of orders and I thik thats the way they operate.Originally When the R62 order was placed ,It was for 825 cars.Kawasaki refused,because they didn`t want to "tie up their Kobe Japan facility"at the time,so they took on only 325 cars.The 825 car order was given to Bombardier instead.But this type of practice seem to be traditional.for example.

R68-425 cars built by Westinghouse Amrail

R68A-200 cars Built by Kawasaki

R160A-1002 cars built by Alstom

R160B-660 Cars from Kawasaki

Kawasaki does have a tedency of not taking on the lions share of orders and I thik thats the way they operate.Originally When the R62 order was placed ,It was for 825 cars.Kawasaki refused,because they didn`t want to "tie up their Kobe Japan facility"at the time,so they took on only 325 cars.The 825 car order was given to Bombardier instead.But this type of practice seem to be traditional.for example.

It's more efficient for them that way

It's more efficient for them that way

Kawasaki has actually been pretty busy as of late, between the R160B base and several option orders and now the MNR M8's, along with whatever else they've been putting together. I think most of the production has been out of the Lincoln, NE plant as well (I know that the Kobe plant only did a few cars of the base M8 order).

Bombardier has been out the picture for a while now. They haven't produced anything for Transit since the R142 order, and I don't know if they've even submitted bids for MTA equipment other than the 836 M7 cars that they produced for MNR and the LIRR.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether the converted R142A's will come entirely out of Westchester or from both Westchester and Jerome? Obviously Jerome doesn't have enother R142A's to fill that conversion option, but Jerome was the last yard to keep R62A's (current Flushing Line stock) for Lexington Avenue service.

I must be the only one who does NOT want to see the R62A's back on the (6) and I don't mind. They were great there back in the day but the R142A's are a better fit for the line because of the bigger doors and them not being right across from each other and other things. Of course, I'll have to get over it but it doesn't mean I have to like it. The (7) should get their own cars they should not be swapping with another line for this silly CBTC bullshit. I'm sorry I'm not a fan of this whole R188 crap.

Took them long enough...although I had a feeling it would've went to Kawasaki (I should've bet my brother on it lol)

...BUT...whenever an old train fleet has to be reactivated to make service then you know that something's not right. A perfect example would be when the R16s had to make service for the R46s when the 16s themselves were already shitting bricks...

Ironically, the R46's were ordered to REPLACE the R16's...oh irony, thy name is (MTA) lol

If there are two eleven car test trains arriving in late 2012 plus one ten car train of converted R142As with one R188 to make a total of three eleven car test trains, wouldn't the (7)<7> keep their R62As until late 2014?

Since a total of 350 R142As will be converted, I assume the 146 new R188s will look like R142As to match.

I must be the only one who does NOT want to see the R62A's back on the (6) and I don't mind. They were great there back in the day but the R142A's are a better fit for the line because of the bigger doors and them not being right across from each other and other things. Of course, I'll have to get over it but it doesn't mean I have to like it. The (7) should get their own cars they should not be swapping with another line for this silly CBTC bullshit. I'm sorry I'm not a fan of this whole R188 crap.

I agree, I don't know why the (6) has to loose their R142A's for those stupid people on the (7), expect the (7) to be a hellhole.

I agree, I don't know why the (6) has to loose their R142A's for those stupid people on the (7), expect the (7) to be a hellhole.
Because the 350 I.R.T. cars to be converted are R142As and R142As run on the (4) and (6). The R142A subway cars were built by Kawasaki whereas the R142 subway cars were built by Bombadier (and run on the (2)(4) and (5)).

Taking the lions share of orders? That's not Kawasaki's problem. Keep in mind that they make other trains as well all over the world. As far as I'm concerned, (MTA) purposely awarded two different contracts for each subway car incase something happens.

I'm glad the contract was awarded to Kawasaki. I can't wait for the R142As/188s to hit the <7>. That's something I would like to operate!

Well the (7), it has to go thru that CBTC thing because it is anticipated that the new signalling would allow for more trains, thereby decreasing delays and also, the crowding. The crowds are very sickening, especially if you ride during rush hours. It's going to suck for the (6) riders, but c'est la vie[/i]. They probably assume that the (6) is a local so crowds could be diverted to the expresses.

I already knew it was coming the second it was proposed. I have not been on an R142 since 2000 and I don't know how they are now. Strangely 2000 would mark a lot of last times for me. I don't want to bring the R179s on this topic here, but the order will be rewarded later in 2010 for those of you who don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R179_%28New_York_City_Subway_car%29

You shouldn't get your research solely from Wikipedia. It can be a reliable source but many transit rumors often do make their way into Wikipedia articles, as well as old news that isn't valid any longer.

Well... Now the RFW comes to the Bronx/Manhattan via Lex, bout time lol. (6) goes back on its feet with good old OTT.

I wish Bombardier were to win, love there R62As/R142s!

Or maybe the WPR ill get it.. But we just gotta wait til 2012+ to see this happening

But maybe the (6) ill do since the Flushing R62As have the LEDs which can be used for the (6)<6>.

Im curies tho, is it even possible to split the R62A with the (2)(5)(6) if there isn't enough 142As on Westchester to cover Coronas line?

WPR most likely won't get the R62As. They want to keep the (2)(5) exclusively NTT, since both lines commonly swap equipment at Flatbush Ave. and it is much easier to change electronic signs than rollsigns.

Also, keep in mind that this order, along with all new car orders, is part of the 2010-2014 Capital Program. The recent revised draft was released recently, and it is only a draft. It hasn't been approved yet, and until its approval there is still a chance that this order won't go through.

If there are two eleven car test trains arriving in late 2012 plus one ten car train of converted R142As with one R188 to make a total of three eleven car test trains, wouldn't the (7)<7> keep their R62As until late 2014?

Since a total of 350 R142As will be converted, I assume the 146 new R188s will look like R142As to match.

It has to match!. Well... some differences (like door engine) may be possible.

Anyway, if it's ordered, it's ordered. If it's not, it's not.

I am looking forward of riding it on (7) sometime in 2012-2013. I am only interested on local, though.

Now, I am going to guess that all of the R142 on Jerome Av Yard will go bye-bye to Westchester Yard and all of the R142A on Jerome Av Yard to Corona Yard when CBTC conversion begins. (4) has a recent history that R62A (from (1)), along with R62 from (3) has been in service on (4), and (6) has not in recent history.

I'm interested in seeing how sets will be coupled for use on the (6)<6>, seeing as though 255/409 R62A railcars are singles. I also think that a good chunk of the 140 R142A's out of Jerome will be swapped out with the R62A's currently at Corona, should this R188 contract be approved. Jerome was the last Lex line to run the R62A's, and (4) trains are often laid up at the Livonia Yard where the ten R62A's for use on the 42nd Street (S) are stored.

I'm interested in seeing how sets will be coupled for use on the (6)<6>, seeing as though 255/409 R62A railcars are singles. I also think that a good chunk of the 140 R142A's out of Jerome will be swapped out with the R62A's currently at Corona, should this R188 contract be approved. Jerome was the last Lex line to run the R62A's, and (4) trains are often laid up at the Livonia Yard where the ten R62A's are stored.

Those 10 or so cars (maybe 11 or 12) at Jerome are for the 42 St (S). It makes logical sense for the (6)<6> to get the R62A's from the (7)<7> cuz he R188 order is supposed to be some new cars and some R142A's that were converted for CBTC. The majority of the R142A fleet is at Westchester. What they probably gonna do is have thc cars that end in 1, 5, 6, and 0 be at the ends (they have full cabs) and stick the others in the middle, like they do with the singles that's on the (1)

WPR most likely won't get the R62As. They want to keep the (2)(5) exclusively NTT, since both lines commonly swap equipment at Flatbush Ave. and it is much easier to change electronic signs than rollsigns.

Also, keep in mind that this order, along with all new car orders, is part of the 2010-2014 Capital Program. The recent revised draft was released recently, and it is only a draft. It hasn't been approved yet, and until its approval there is still a chance that this order won't go through.

Which has been my point, but it seems to have fallen on blind eyes here. So while it is not written in stone, I feel it is likely 70-80% that the (6) will be getting those R62As back in return for their R142As.

What they can then do afterwards is swap the (6)'s R142As for the (4)'s R142s to make the (4) mostly R142As.

*My speculation only.

I'm interested in seeing how sets will be coupled for use on the (6)<6>, seeing as though 255/409 R62A railcars are singles. I also think that a good chunk of the 140 R142A's out of Jerome will be swapped out with the R62A's currently at Corona, should this R188 contract be approved. Jerome was the last Lex line to run the R62A's, and (4) trains are often laid up at the Livonia Yard where the ten R62A's for use on the 42nd Street (S) are stored.
I would think those singles would eventually be linked into 5-car sets. They could do it that way by moving out the youngest R142As from the (4) and then take the rest from the (6).

But I would think the (4) will still remain 100% R142/A because they have wider doors and the R62As from the (7) would end up on the (6).

Archived