R188 Arrival on the 7 line

What kind of propulsion will the R188 have, since the old propulsion is no longer being made? Will they change the propulsion on the modified R142As?

ah, it would be refreshing to hear those new MITRAC AC motor units in the city. they'd probably sound like either the new chicago 5000 series, or the new london underground stock. check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ev4JxSEj3s

The real question now is which R142A cars will be converted? My money's on the oldest cars, ie, the first to be delivered.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Concidering there was no change between the R143 and R160 [and those are incompatible], I think these R188s will look almost the same as the R142As. The only change would probably be the FIND.

I don't think it is going to be FIND. Think of the amentities for passengers. You may not be pleased if the cars that look almost exactly the same and the cars you take on the same single line, and if the yard that houses alike cars operates only one line have different amentities. Also, one "B" car for fill-up to 6-car train conversion for each set will be built, so it has to match with R142A.

My prediction of differences will be:

1: Traction Motor (I believe R142A slated for (7) and <7> will have it changed)

2: Door Engine (I believe it is going to be same manufacturer (Vapor), but with different operation)

3: Red Headlight (LED)

4: Door-closing flash-light (not flashlight) (slower flashing))

5: Cockpit and its monitors (to comply with CBTC)

The real question now is which R142A cars will be converted? My money's on the oldest cars, ie, the first to be delivered.

I think the last 360 R142A (7451-7810) will be a victim of conversion. To fill up the roster of Westchester and Jerome Av Yards, Westchester may get R142 from Jerome Av Yard, while Jerome Av gets R62A from Corona Yard.

I think the last 360 R142A (7451-7810) will be a victim of conversion. To fill up the roster of Westchester and Jerome Av Yards, Westchester may get R142 from Jerome Av Yard, while Jerome Av gets R62A from Corona Yard.

Jerome is not getting R62s because the wider doors of the 142s are mandated for the Lex Express.

Jerome is not getting R62s because the wider doors of the 142s are mandated for the Lex Express.

That is true, but think of (2) and (5). They swap cars out at Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av Nostrand Av Line Station. It's easier to change destination signs with digital signs rather than roll sign. Also, in recent history, (4) has had R62 and R62A in service. I think this mandation is going to go bye-bye (more likely waive) on (4). Do you know what I mean?

That is true, but think of (2) and (5). They swap cars out at Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av Nostrand Av Line Station. It's easier to change destination signs with digital signs rather than roll sign. Also, in recent history, (4) has had R62 and R62A in service. I think this mandation is going to go bye-bye (more likely waive) on (4). Do you know what I mean?

But why not just put them on the (6)? No problems with it.

Yeah, but I think MTA may want (6) and <6> exclusive to R142 and R142A. The reason is that (6) and <6> are the first line to get R142A, and (4) is the last line to get both R142 and R142A.

But the (MTA) also wants the NTTs on the (4), right? Or maybe it wants them on the (6) more than on the (4)?

Concidering there was no change between the R143 and R160 [and those are incompatible], I think these R188s will look almost the same as the R142As. The only change would probably be the FIND.

Oh at first I didn't realize that this was just for the letter lines (is that BMT, IND, or IRT?), I keep forgetting that they're separate. It'd be nice if it got a little face lift, I don't really like when things start looking monotonous.

Oh at first I didn't realize that this was just for the letter lines (is that BMT, IND, or IRT?), I keep forgetting that they're separate. It'd be nice if it got a little face lift, I don't really like when things start looking monotonous.

IRT is number lines. The R188s are for the (7), an IRT line.

BMT and IND are for lettered lines.

Its dissapointing to hear that te R-188's will look exactly like the R-142's. Those red fronts and side stripes make no sense to me..when you consider the fact that the (MTA) colors are blue..and Im also slighlty confused about why we've decided to revert back to these small front of car route displays (which I thought ended when the R-40's came out) The small LED signs that are all red aren't the most user friendly. I feel the front of the train should have large letters and numbers like the R-40's thru R-68's, however,thats just strictly my opinion. As far as CBTC goes..im neutral right now..idk if im for it or against it. Looks like the days of sleek attractive subway cars is a thing of the past.

I got info from several websites, and then calculated the numbers, and it seems that the entire fleet of R62A on Corona Yard is not enough to cover Westchester Yard. During the rush hour, Westchester currently operates with 40 out of 44 10-car sets on (6), which equal to 400 cars out of 440, and Corona yard has 409 cars. That would leave with only 9 spare cars if all R142A are transferred, which technically means no spare train sets. So that is why I am predicting that (4) is the victim of no-R142 and R142A. However, cuts are coming so anything can happen. We still need to wait and see.

Yeah, but I think MTA may want (6) and <6> exclusive to R142 and R142A. The reason is that (6) and <6> are the first line to get R142A, and (4) is the last line to get both R142 and R142A.

not exactly. you're forgetting that the (6)<6> has peak express service, which would make use of the new LED displays installed on the R62A's. In fact, I believe the (MTA) had this in mind when they installed those displays on the R62A's.

I got info from several websites, and then calculated the numbers, and it seems that the entire fleet of R62A on Corona Yard is not enough to cover Westchester Yard. During the rush hour, Westchester currently operates with 40 out of 44 10-car sets on (6), which equal to 400 cars out of 440, and Corona yard has 409 cars. That would leave with only 9 spare cars if all R142A are transferred, which technically means no spare train sets. So that is why I am predicting that (4) is the victim of no-R142 and R142A. However, cuts are coming so anything can happen. We still need to wait and see.

There's another problem with your theory. they are only converting 360 cars, which would leave enough spares in Westchester to operate the (6)<6>.

not exactly. you're forgetting that the (6)<6> has peak express service, which would make use of the new LED displays installed on the R62A's. In fact, I believe the (MTA) had this in mind when they installed those displays on the R62A's.

I think you posted your discussion right after I posted mine. I got a new reason of all about (4) and (6)<6>. Read about it above your post.

There's another problem with your theory. they are only converting 360 cars, which would leave enough spares in Westchester to operate the (6)<6>.

What if the spare R142A was given up?

If it wasn't given up, that would still leave with only 95 R142As, which is only less than 1/4 of the entire Westchester Yard fleet.

hmm, let's see. westchester holds 460 R142A's do they not? so take away 360, leaves 100, then add 409 gives 509. if i'm not mistaken, that's a net increase of almost 50 cars. and they only run 40 sets on the (6)<6>, so that's a net increase in the spare factor from 13% to 21.4%.

EDIT: then again, you have to factor in yard capacity. perhaps they'll send 49 single cars to jerome... that way the yard capacities aren't violated. Jerome does have 140 R142A's.

hmm, let's see. westchester holds 460 R142A's do they not? so take away 360, leaves 100, then add 409 gives 509. if i'm not mistaken, that's a net increase of almost 50 cars. and they only run 40 sets on the (6)<6>, so that's a net increase in the spare factor from 13% to 21.4%.

EDIT: then again, you have to factor in yard capacity. perhaps they'll send 49 single cars to jerome... that way the yard capacities aren't violated. Jerome does have 140 R142A's.

Westchester Yard should have 460 cars, BUT, 1 5-car set is out of service for repair or something, so it has 455 cars.

For Jerome Av Yard, 42 St Shuttle may be able to deal with 19 cars when 1 of them goes to (4) as a fill-up of 10-car set. (S) operates in 3-car set (4-car set for Track 3 trains), totalling 10 cars in passenger service. 9 spare cars for (S) shouldn't mean a big deal.

Again, you do not want uneven balance in roster, which includes models.

Archived