R188 Arrival on the 7 line

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone told me: chances are, the R62A sets would be arranged into 5-car sets and linked. There are still enough singles for the shuttle so only the 2001-2150 cars needs to be linked and they can leave the 1900s as singles.

Also the (6) ran redbirds for years, so it's not like a 1/3 cab would be that big a deal.

It IS a big deal. If the singles are going to link into 5-car sets, both end cars' one end will require transforming into full-width cabs, which cost MTA more money. If they leave it as half-width cabs, conductors may have hard times switching sides, like walking between cars. Remember that new rule "No passing between cars" was enforced to passengers sometime in 2007. This is not the old times anymore. Redbirds also ran on many other IRT lines, too. You need to think of safety to conductors, too.

Also, since the express track is not in use during the weekends, there won't be many GOs. They could also work during the midday period where there is no express service yet. So it won't hurt as much. However, once they start working on the local tracks, all hell is going to break loose.

Doesn't express service run through the midday?

This might explain why the MTA has rushed to do the track panel replacements on the local track now, as once the project starts, there will be no way to do the replacements short of shuttle buses.

It IS a big deal. If the singles are going to link into 5-car sets, both end cars' one end will require transforming into full-width cabs, which cost MTA more money. If they leave it as half-width cabs, conductors may have hard times switching sides, like walking between cars. Remember that new rule "No passing between cars" was enforced to passengers sometime in 2007. This is not the old times anymore. Redbirds also ran on many other IRT lines, too. You need to think of safety to conductors, too.

It sounds like you are overhyping this. Look at the (C) it runs only R32s, is it so dangerous where such cars can no longer run on that line anymore? No.

Cost more money? You want them to be full width cabs or not? And yes obviously when the R62As are linked, they will have full width cabs. So you don't have to worry about that.

Corona yard had to fold in a full width cab of one 5-car set because they didn't allocate the singles accordingly and had two 5-car sets with a single. So it is not going to be 'that' costly to convert the cars to have a full width cab.

I'm all for the c/r's safety, but they've also been doing this for years without many accidents.

It sounds like you are overhyping this. Look at the (C) it runs only R32s, is it so dangerous where such cars can no longer run on that line anymore? No.

Cost more money? You want them to be full width cabs or not? And yes obviously when the R62As are linked, they will have full width cabs. So you don't have to worry about that.

Corona yard had to fold in a full width cab of one 5-car set because they didn't allocate the singles accordingly and had two 5-car sets with a single. So it is not going to be 'that' costly to convert the cars to have a full width cab.

I'm all for the c/r's safety, but they've also been doing this for years without many accidents.

Understood. However, as you know, (MTA) is currently in financial crisis, and MTA has cuts proposed to save money. Even though it is not going to be 'that' costly, (MTA) may not be able to afford that kind of conversion (I am not saying (MTA) cannot).

If R62A singles are going to link into 5-car set, all but 19 cars used for (S) must be linked into numbers of 5-car sets. (S) will have to give up 1 car to even things up. And where will (MTA) get "parts" to convert them now or in the future? It may have been discontinued (not saying it is). If (MTA) cannot find matching or near-matching "parts" to convert them, they have to leave it as half-width cabs. On the other hand, if (MTA) found it, they will convert it if (MTA) can afford it.

For R32/R32A on (C), there are no alternatives at all, since (C) is an 8-car line and R160A 4-car set is focused on East New York Yard. I didn't say older cars must be replaced, but even though crews are doing well without accidents, it may happen sooner or later. I understand that you are in for crews' safety, but it must be maintained if possible, right?. (C) is one of 6 lines that may use non-full-width cab cars.

What (MTA) can do is when overhaul or whatever alike action on R62/R62A begins, (MTA) can do whatever actions necessary to convert them into full-width cabs. It is not listed on 2010-2014 capital program, though, but it may be possible to be listed on the next capital program.

Right, it isn't necessary to convert the cars into linked sets, but it would improve efficiency. But I would think they would at least try to connect the cars together so they can make the lead cars full width cabs.

It also depends on when they rennovate the TS end of the shuttle so that they can fit a full 5-car train there. Once that happens they probably don't need track 4 and the 4 remaining cars can be left as 'spares'.

Right, it isn't necessary to convert the cars into linked sets, but it would improve efficiency. But I would think they would at least try to connect the cars together so they can make the lead cars full width cabs.

It also depends on when they rennovate the TS end of the shuttle so that they can fit a full 5-car train there. Once that happens they probably don't need track 4 and the 4 remaining cars can be left as 'spares'.

Yeah, it is going to depend, but think carefully on rush hour operations. What if a passenger missed a train during rush hour? Does he/she have to wait another 5 minutes for the next train? 42 St Shuttle is also one of the busy lines because 42 St (talking about street) is very busy during rush hours. You do know that Times Sq-42 St Broadway-7 Av Line ((1)(2)(3)), Flushing Line ((7)<7>), 42 St Shuttle ((S)), and Broadway Line ((N)(Q)(R)(W)) stations, and 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal 8 Av Line ((A)(C)(E)) station have the highest ridership combined, and Grand Central-42 St Lexington Av Line ((4)(5)(6)<6>), Flushing Line ((7)<7>), and 42 St Shuttle ((S)) stations have the 2nd highest ridership combined. 42 St Shuttle is the better line to travel between these two stations since there are no stops in between, and if 42 St Shuttle operated every 5 minutes during the entire daytime, rush hour passengers may not be happy. It takes approximately 3-4 minutes to travel from Grand Central to Times Sq, and then from Times Sq to Grand Central.

Track 4 can be used to at least store train as layover, but during rush hour, (MTA) has to use it in passenger service, since 42 St Shuttle is especially busy during rush hours.

The problem right now [at least a 2-train operation] is that the train at GC waits for the other train to arrive before leaving. When the TS end is fixed up, they should have trains leave their respective ends at the same time and 'meet in the middle' so that there would always be a train ready on both ends. The shuttle is there to keep riders from over loading the (7) line.

They run three trains because tracks 1 and 3 can only run a total of 7 cars due to the constraints on the TS end. But riders will just have to spread out for a 5-car train on two tracks.

It is going to depend on people, but wait time is more concern on some people, especially during rush hours at busy stations. Even right now Track 4 is in use only during rush hours for most of the time. Right now, during rush hours, 42 St Shuttle operates every 2-4 minutes, which would mean they cannot wait for a train to arrive Grand Central-42 St before departing. That is why there are three trains now. Number of cars is not an issue. (MTA) can put 5-car trains on 42 St Shuttle after renovating Times Sq-42 St 42 St Shuttle station, but wait time is more concern on some passengers. Even after the actions are made, (MTA) still needs to keep Track 4 in passenger service during rush hours.

Actually, I checked the schedule, and it seems that trains are at Times Sq-42 St for 2-3 minutes for changing direction, so entire trip there and back takes 5 minutes, so that is a reasonable reason to wait for arriving train before departing at Grand Central during middays and weekends except Sunday mornings, when 42 St Shuttle operates every 10 minutes.

You should also know that crews need some break after several trips, so (MTA) may not be able to make trains on both ends depart every 5 minutes at the same time and all the time.

By time R188s go on the (7) and R62As go to either the (4) or (6) the (Q) extension to 96th St should be completed so door width, R62As on the (4), and etc. shouldnt be a problem.

IMO, the SAS won't go that fast.:P

Even so, the first stage of the SAS won't make much of an impact yet. Come Stage 3 of the thing, and you would see reductions on the Lex line. But IMHO, the (6) is a better line to do trading with.

Even so, the first stage of the SAS won't make much of an impact yet. Come Stage 3 of the thing, and you would see reductions on the Lex line. But IMHO, the (6) is a better line to do trading with.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most of the crowding on the Lexington (4)(5)(6) between Grand Central and 125th St? I ask that because when I took the (5) as my alternative to 42nd St and back to The Bronx it was crowded at its worst between Grand Central and 125th St

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most of the crowding on the Lexington (4)(5)(6) between Grand Central and 125th St? I ask that because when I took the (5) as my alternative to 42nd St and back to The Bronx it was crowded at its worst between Grand Central and 125th St

It really depends on when you ride it. Sometimes I walk in at BB or Union and it's already SRO going uptown. Between 7-8 AM, the (4) can be SRO from 59th to all the way up to Moshulu. I know this for fact, because I ride this every weekday. Again, it really depends on the time and the direction.

SAS Phase I is projected to carry about 200,000 riders. That's 200,000 riders that will no longer be on the Lexington Ave. line, which sees crowds of about 1.2-1.8 million per day (I don't remember the exact number, so correct me if I'm wrong). So Phase I by itself will create a noticeable decrease in overcrowding on the Lexington Ave. line. However, the first phase of the SAS is slated to open in December 2016, while the R188 car swaps would occur in 2012-2015.

SAS Phase I is projected to carry about 200,000 riders. That's 200,000 riders that will no longer be on the Lexington Ave. line, which sees crowds of about 1.2-1.8 million per day (I don't remember the exact number, so correct me if I'm wrong). So Phase I by itself will create a noticeable decrease in overcrowding on the Lexington Ave. line. However, the first phase of the SAS is slated to open in December 2016, while the R188 car swaps would occur in 2012-2015.

That's only the forecast. It could make a dent in the Lex ridership, but it's not going to be like all the crowds are gone. Sides, it doesn't specify during which periods riders would ride in. So giving 200,000 as a simple figure is indeed vague. The only time when the SAS would truly make a significant decrease on the Lex ridership is when it hits Phase 3 or 4.

SAS Phase I is projected to carry about 200,000 riders. That's 200,000 riders that will no longer be on the Lexington Ave. line, which sees crowds of about 1.2-1.8 million per day (I don't remember the exact number, so correct me if I'm wrong).

Not saying youre wrong, but does the projected ridership take into account the number of people who ride the (M2)(1)(5), which carries roughly 500,000 people per day?

Not saying youre wrong, but does the projected ridership take into account the number of people who ride the (M2)(1)(5), which carries roughly 500,000 people per day?

There are other factors that are not being taken into account. Don't forget, we are still years from completion, so any demographical/population change can result at any time.

Don't forget, the M15 SBS will most likely be around until the whole line is completed. Depending on the MTA's marketing strategy and public knowledge of the SBS line, the SBS line should see some traffic, even after Phase 1 is opened. And bare in mind, Phase 1 is not the entire SAS line. So 200,000 might not be the reality, because there will be people (if they are positive) with the SBS line and will continue to ride it. And you're right, 200,000 riders does not necessarily mean 200,000 OFF the Lex line. It's not to say that the SAS will replace the Lex line person-by-person, or that all of the people that will ride the SAS took the Lex line before. There may be riders who usually took the bus, or perhaps new riders (based on the fact that a subway line may draw X amount of residents).

Archived