Shall the Slant be saved (for preservation)?

R10 2952

I've been thinking. 4192-93 were SUPPOSED to be preserved for the TM, but it doesn't quite seem that they were OFFICIALLY saved from scrap. There has been talk that they are NOT due for preservation, and that they might be/have been reefed. As i watch the number of Slants slowly dwindle on the (A), I think to myself: shouldn't they have already selected a decent pair and OFFICIALLY preserved it by now? I mean, there are only 50 R-40s LEFT. And how ridiculous it would be for the (MTA) NOT to save the R-40, considering that the R-40 Slant is probably one of the most historically and aesthetically significant subway cars to ever run in New York City... :confused:

They should save both IMO.

Would be a good idea to have a pair that was one R40S mated to an R40M. They might not be interested in saving two pairs of what is technically the same car class.

There is no "R40S". There's a R40, R40 option a, and part of option a is the modified cars.

The pair has been sent for cleaning & some minor refurbishment & repairs, i'm not sure where, what yard etc, but the pair is preserved & is officially under control of the transit museum legally.

Ever since NYC scrapped most of its steam locos & older cars, & when conrail took over & started taking down the overhead wires, people have been more wary & mindful about preservation of rail equipment. Decades of real losses taught this country a painful lesson about keeping memories alive physically for future generations to enjoy.

- A

There is no "R40S". There's a R40, R40 option a, and part of option a is the modified cars.

The pair has been sent for cleaning & some minor refurbishment & repairs, i'm not sure where, what yard etc, but the pair is preserved & is officially under control of the transit museum legally.

Ever since NYC scrapped most of its steam locos & older cars, & when conrail took over & started taking down the overhead wires, people have been more wary & mindful about preservation of rail equipment. Decades of real losses taught this country a painful lesson about keeping memories alive physically for future generations to enjoy.

- A

Yeah I know that its "R40A" , "R40" and "R40M" but i didnt wanna get people all confused, seeing some think is "S" then "A" or just the plain R40~

Yeah I know that its "R40A" , "R40" and "R40M" but i didnt wanna get people all confused, seeing some think is "S" then "A" or just the plain R40~

Unless the post or even conversation needs information on if it was option a or not don't bother, the only real difference is that they are laid out more similarly to the R42 than the R40. The R40m's as seen in real life have no problem hooking as a married pair to R42, the design was simply revised further for the R42 order after a few months of R40 revenue operation.

Most people do not know about the option a or any of that stuff, they just know the mods have R42 ends to them. :cool:

What might confuse you though, is that (MTA) for a while (according to my ex-girlfriend's dad's friend) was considering overhauling all R40 & variants to R42 spec. If they had done this, R40's would still be around for a while, sadly according to him this plan was abandoned right as the hell years rang the (NYCT) doorbell.

- A

I've been thinking. 4192-93 were SUPPOSED to be preserved for the TM, but it doesn't quite seem that they were OFFICIALLY saved from scrap. There has been talk that they are NOT due for preservation, and that they might be/have been reefed. As i watch the number of Slants slowly dwindle on the (A), I think to myself: shouldn't they have already selected a decent pair and OFFICIALLY preserved it by now? I mean, there are only 50 R-40s LEFT. And how ridiculous it would be for the (MTA) NOT to save the R-40, considering that the R-40 Slant is probably one of the most historically and aesthetically significant subway cars to ever run in New York City... :confused:

They did save both an R40 Slant and R40M pair, R40 slant 4280-81 has been saved, R40M 4450-51 has been saved also. about 4192-93, From what I heard they were only at the TM for display and Plus that pair was reefed. I wished they could have saved 4250-51 ex 4350-51, That pair was the 1st slant pair to come on TA Property and its still in service, They might save tahat pair also.

The R40S fleet consists of the entire R40 Contract, as well as half of the R40A contract.

The R40M fleet consists of the other half of the R40A contract.

4192-3 were never intended for preservation and were sunk a long time ago.

An R40S pair and an R40M pair will be saved for preservation.

The R40S fleet consists of the entire R40 Contract, as well as half of the R40A contract.

The R40M fleet consists of the other half of the R40A contract.

4192-3 were never intended for preservation and were sunk a long time ago.

An R40S pair and an R40M pair will be saved for preservation.

I thought pair 4192-4193 were saved and it said also 4280-4281 will be saved 2. Thats what I thought that was true

why? The only physical difference is pole arrangement.
The R40As are in a better condition than the base orders. You heard about parts falling off the slants right? Well, almost all the these problems dwell only within the base order slants. Besides, the R40M are the last of the R40As and before many people sought that they will go after the R32s due to their durable conditions. Believe me, some of the R40As are even better than the R32s and R42s.

to squash all the speculation, one pair of each: R32, r38, r40 slant, r40 modified, r42 will be saved. I don't know which pairs, nor do I know or particularly care whether the slant is an "R40" or "R40A" as these aren't even really official TA designations anymore, and what I mean is you'll never hear a T/O say he operated an R40A...

All cars that make the museum fleet get taken care of so regardless of the condition NOW they will get taken care of when set aside for preservation.

The R40As are in a better condition than the base orders. You heard about parts falling off the slants right? Well, almost all the these problems dwell only within the base order slants. Besides, the R40M are the last of the R40As and before many people sought that they will go after the R32s due to their durable conditions. Believe me, some of the R40As are even better than the R32s and R42s.

this was the original R160 replacement plan:

Base Order: 10 GE R32s, all R38s and R40 slants, and Coney Island R42s

Option I: all remaining R32s

Option II: all R40Ms and remaining R42s

instead, because of the Phase II breakdowns and issues with the (C) train, the new plan looks like this:

Base Order: Coney Island R42s, GE and Phase II R32s, and some R40 slants

Option I: all R38s, remaining R40s, and some MK R42s

Option II: all remaining R32s and R42s.

you are right, the R40Ms are in very good shape. IMO, the R40s have the cleanest interiors of all St Louis cars. the reason they look horrible is because they run with the POS R42s. R40Ms and R42s may look alike, but the differences between them make the R40Ms much better than the R42s. They are not as rusted and have a better looking interior.

It'll probably never happen, but it would be great if they restored one car of a R40 pair to its original as-delivered state (removing all the chains and metal bars on the front end, installing replicas of the original rollsigns, restoration of the interior, et cetera), whilst keeping the second car in its post-GOH state. That would provide an excellent study on rapid transit car design and what not to do in the design phase, but unfortunately it probably won't happen.

It'll probably never happen, but it would be great if they restored one car of a R40 pair to its original as-delivered state (removing all the chains and metal bars on the front end, installing replicas of the original rollsigns, restoration of the interior, et cetera), whilst keeping the second car in its post-GOH state. That would provide an excellent study on rapid transit car design and what not to do in the design phase, but unfortunately it probably won't happen.

That's a great idea. Sadly, I think you are right in that they won't go out of their way to do this. It's still something the (MTA) should do IMO.

- A

Correct. The entire R40 order consists of the base order of 200 cars, which were all slants. Then an option order of another 200 cars under the contract R40A. Half of that were built into modified ends, because of the safety issues the slant end design showed.

R40S and R40M are not official designations, rather they are mere designations for the ease of the railfanners to identify railcars.

l'd take a 1 car R40M and link it to 1 car Slant.

Um. there was a time an R40 married consist was linked to an R40M consist. It's possible because they can all couple up together. A 32 can couple up with a 38, and I saw an out of service 38 and 40 Slant coupled together one time, which means that 32s can couple with Slants, modified and 42s as well! I wouldn't be surprised if they're was a museum train with a ten car consist, with two cars from each class (32-32-38-38-40 Slant-40 Slant-40M-40M-42-42).

Archived