Shall the Slant be saved (for preservation)?

R10 2952

Asbestos content in the cars and the liability that would come with giving these cars to someone else knowing that.

Oh yeah most cars till the 44s have asbestos in them but they remove them during scrapping so it won't contaminate the water. Keep the cars in the backyard or something! xD

Oh yeah most cars till the 44s have asbestos in them but they remove them during scrapping so it won't contaminate the water. Keep the cars in the backyard or something! xD

Actually they don't. That's part of the incentive for reefing cars instead of scrapping them. To scrap them, they'd have to be abated, which would cost more than the scrap value of the car. Since the ocean floor is such that artificial reefs are needed and Transit doesn't need to abate the cars to reef them, it's a win win. What they DO make sure they do is take everything mechanical out of the car so that just the carbody gets sunk and the carbody gets a full wash before going on the barge to make sure there is no excess oil or grease on it as it gets sunk.

Actually they don't. That's part of the incentive for reefing cars instead of scrapping them. To scrap them, they'd have to be abated, which would cost more than the scrap value of the car. Since the ocean floor is such that artificial reefs are needed and Transit doesn't need to abate the cars to reef them, it's a win win. What they DO make sure they do is take everything mechanical out of the car so that just the carbody gets sunk and the carbody gets a full wash before going on the barge to make sure there is no excess oil or grease on it as it gets sunk.

You're right, and asbestos doesn't really pose a threat in water, and the contents in the old cars would not be enough to pose a threat to marine life anyway.

But how cool would it be to own a actual subway car. I want to get a hold of the R40 rollsigns BADLY! My brother works for MTA, I wonder if he could help me get one.

It'll probably never happen, but it would be great if they restored one car of a R40 pair to its original as-delivered state (removing all the chains and metal bars on the front end, installing replicas of the original rollsigns, restoration of the interior, et cetera), whilst keeping the second car in its post-GOH state. That would provide an excellent study on rapid transit car design and what not to do in the design phase, but unfortunately it probably won't happen.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be really nice to do that but it just isn't possible. The TM would need a lot of cash.

You're right, and asbestos doesn't really pose a threat in water, and the contents in the old cars would not be enough to pose a threat to marine life anyway.

But how cool would it be to own a actual subway car. I want to get a hold of the R40 rollsigns BADLY! My brother works for MTA, I wonder if he could help me get one.

Your brother would be violating the MTA rules & regulations. Just go through the official channel and buy the rollsigns. Rollsigns from R-32, R-40 and R-42: http://mta.info/nyct/materiel/collectsales/pdfs/mc08331.pdf

Your brother would be violating the MTA rules & regulations. Just go through the official channel and buy the rollsigns. Rollsigns from R-32, R-40 and R-42: http://mta.info/nyct/materiel/collectsales/pdfs/mc08331.pdf

Ahh, phooey! But until then, I'll just change the signs in the subway for fun.

$350 for the R40 rollsigns? F...T...W???!!! Not to mention that after tax that'll be about $380! My mom is so not going to enjoy the fact that I'm saving up money from a summer job to buy a rollsign as a room decoration....

Ahh, phooey! But until then, I'll just change the signs in the subway for fun.

$350 for the R40 rollsigns? F...T...W???!!! Not to mention that after tax that'll be about $380! My mom is so not going to enjoy the fact that I'm saving up money from a summer job to buy a rollsign as a room decoration....

Geez I sure HOPE you make more than $380 this summer. B)

Geez I sure HOPE you make more than $380 this summer. B)

I will! Thanks. I'm definitely going to redecorate my room to make it look like the interior of a slant (the passenger doors for closet doors; the storm door as my bedroom door; the benches for guests, etc.). Then again I'll be 18 soon so I'll wait to get my own place for that, but I can buy them now (if I can get the money) instead of later in case they're gone.

It'll probably never happen, but it would be great if they restored one car of a R40 pair to its original as-delivered state (removing all the chains and metal bars on the front end, installing replicas of the original rollsigns, restoration of the interior, et cetera), whilst keeping the second car in its post-GOH state. That would provide an excellent study on rapid transit car design and what not to do in the design phase, but unfortunately it probably won't happen.

Good idea and I'd like to add that they run them /____|____|____|____\ on a fan trip :tup:

I will! Thanks. I'm definitely going to redecorate my room to make it look like the interior of a slant (the passenger doors for closet doors; the storm door as my bedroom door; the benches for guests, etc.). Then again I'll be 18 soon so I'll wait to get my own place for that, but I can buy them now (if I can get the money) instead of later in case they're gone.

Actually the best part of buying the stuff is the looks you get on the street carrying a rollsign over your shoulder or a master controller across your body.

"where did you get THAT?" ;):P

Because even non "railfans", non buffs, non foamers, and non future TA employees want this stuff!

They just don't want to pay for it :)

Actually the best part of buying the stuff is the looks you get on the street carrying a rollsign over your shoulder or a master controller across your body.

"where did you get THAT?" ;):P

Because even non "railfans", non buffs, non foamers, and non future TA employees want this stuff!

They just don't want to pay for it :)

You'll see me on a train carrying a rollsign; everyone will be looking at me like I'm awkward.

But anyway, I am serious about this. I would be willing to redecorate my whole room to make it look like an R40 (or at least the front of it). And I dreadfully wish that the MTA would host a farewell trip for the R40s, just like how they did for the Redbirds.

This is showing love to those <R>40 slants we all love and they ®from MTH Railking go to Trainworld in (;)(K) around (M)cDonald Ave around 18ave you'll find what ever you need there trust me Peace out(K)<R>

MUST...HAVE...ONE...or two, or four or A HUNDRED!!! Mwahahahaha!!!

I've gone R40-crazy. That's what happens when they retire, you'll never ride one again.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been thinking. 4192-93 were SUPPOSED to be preserved for the TM, but it doesn't quite seem that they were OFFICIALLY saved from scrap. There has been talk that they are NOT due for preservation, and that they might be/have been reefed. As i watch the number of Slants slowly dwindle on the (A), I think to myself: shouldn't they have already selected a decent pair and OFFICIALLY preserved it by now? I mean, there are only 50 R-40s LEFT. And how ridiculous it would be for the (MTA) NOT to save the R-40, considering that the R-40 Slant is probably one of the most historically and aesthetically significant subway cars to ever run in New York City... :confused:

Some have been designated for schoolcar classrooms...i.e, Rockaway Park has one.

Archived