Ride The Slants NOW!!!!

R32 3838

I just heard that the Slants Might be all gone by this Friday, There is Enough R46's to Knock the Remaining 32 R40 slants out so Get your Rides Now!!!!, I will be riding those slants all day on friday so whoever wants to join Just send me a PM.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(no offense to the people that enjoy riding on R40 slants. im not missing much because i took one last month on the (A), and i still take R40M's on the (E)(F)(R).)

Damn...my guess was that they'd bump them out of service by July, but this week?! F...T...W?!?!?!

I'm gonna miss those bad boys. I hope they'll provide some tribute service for them as they were the only cars with slant-nosed ends. I rode an R32 on the (A) today from 14th Street to Utica Avenue and waited for the (C) to Ralph. I'd be damned that following that R32 (A) was a Slant! As far as I'm concerned. The R40s definitely deserve a tribute service. And come next year when the R32's time is up they'll get a tribute too as they were the first stainless steel cars. As far as I'm concerned the R32s outlasted the 38s. They'll outlast the 40Ms when they're ready to go (I heard they'll go next year with the 42s) and they'll even outdo the 44s, I bet you that much!

Four cars have been set aside for the transit museum so far. I hope they preserve another six to make a full-length special train sometime in the future.

Don't get your hopes up. They saved one pair each of R32, R38, R40, R40M, and R42. That makes 5 pairs, or 10 cars. Therefore, it is possible to run a 10-car special, isn't it?

Lets just hope that they put the slants in the lead.

Don't get your hopes up. They saved one pair each of R32, R38, R40, R40M, and R42. That makes 5 pairs, or 10 cars. Therefore, it is possible to run a 10-car special, isn't it?

Lets just hope that they put the slants in the lead.

That's possible, they all can couple up together, as the 32s couple up with the 38s, and I saw an out-of-service 38 with a slant, so that means all cars from 32-42 can hook up.

Well I just came from Mott Ave. I waited about 45min for a slope. Caught 2, plus another one at Fulton. Got Pics and Vids for later. This would most likly be my last time i will see a slant. Maybe a friday when i head to skool anyways..

I guess I have one more chance to Operate them the Saturday since I will be working the ECU to Rockaway side of the (A) train like I did last weekend. Or I guess that might have been my last chance. At least I had a smile on while doing it, some of you guys saw that. :P They will be missed. :cry: , they were a one of a kind fleet and was a major flop when they entered service, but still made over 35 years of service.

I am glad that I was able to get Dave all the photos I did when I got them. Some of the cars got were the first time they were shot he said.

Whoa, this is pretty surprising to me, really. I guess '09 is the year that all the vintage-ish trains are being cut. Kinda sad, I mainly remember the slants when they were on the (N) train that I'd take up into Astoria. I also remember seeing them on the (:P service a few years later, and since I don't regularly ride the (A), I guess I had no idea where they went, haha.

Gonna be weird not seeing these around, they used to be pretty prevalent, especially on the (N).

This really isn't a big shock to me, I've been riding the slants for as long as I can remember, now all the foamers decide to pay attention to them now that they're leaving. You don't know what you got till you lose it I guess but they were good cars so I guess I'll change my opinion on them and admit that I'll kinda miss them...The railfan window is slowly dying away on the (MTA).

The first time I rode on a slant train was when I was 5 on the B when it ran on the West End with R40s. I remembered that I was extremely scared by the appearance as it looked like a dungeon from the front and was surprised that the nyc subway ran these trains. Like other little kids that were amused to trains, I almost always rode with my knees on the seats facing the window in the 60 ft trains. Because of the hump on the R40 seats, they always painfully hurt my little knees. Though I don't favor them, the only thing I like about them is that they have the best A/C among the subway that almost never fails during the summer. I will definitely miss them for their A/C.

Whoa, this is pretty surprising to me, really. I guess '09 is the year that all the vintage-ish trains are being cut. Kinda sad, I mainly remember the slants when they were on the (N) train that I'd take up into Astoria. I also remember seeing them on the (:( service a few years later, and since I don't regularly ride the (A), I guess I had no idea where they went, haha.

Gonna be weird not seeing these around, they used to be pretty prevalent, especially on the (N).

Actually just remember. If you set you're birthday right :o you're about the same age as me and we've been lucky to see some of the most varied equipment in the entire New York City subway system since the Lo-V's and Standards were running. When SMEE cars were first introduced railfans back then didn't like that they all looked the "same" or that they didn't have the hum of the bull and pinion gear on the Arnines and the prewar cars. The R32 - R42 were some of the most varied cars in the system's history because aside from the R11 experiment, nothing else really looks like any of them. Consider yourselves lucky. We grew up with redbirds in both divisions, the dying wave of the Artens, the R32-42, the newer R62/R68 SMEEs, the "Space age" R44/46 (which some of you might remember pre GOH), the new tech test trains, and of course the actual new techs. And with the MTA and Transit Museum running, in our time, the Triplexes, the Arnines, the Lo-V's, the TOMC, and even the BU's we've been witness and had the opportunity to ride on more equpiment than any generation before us ever has. So as riders we're lucky for that.

Someday the new will be old and the old will be ancient and little kids will rush to excitedly look out the polarized glass of an R160 and you will see the look on their face when they board a nostalgia train of R40 slants and other SMEE cars with the same feeling you had the first time you rode something that you had not only never ridden but never even SEEN before.

And someday after that people will "miss" the new techs when they're gone. It's all part of change...but just remember that you guys were lucky to be around when you were from a rider's perspective and you should be grateful for that more than fighting the car retirements because YOU Were there no matter what happens from now on

So I guess this is it...this may very well be the last time we may ever see Slants in service. I'm leaving my house somewhat early with the hopes of catching a slant before school, and I'll be going out tomorrow so let's hope for some Slants then. Curse you R46s!!!

it will benefit both operators and conductors, but you can still get a railfan window on the (7), so relax.

It's not just about the railfan window; it's the unique design. Nowhere else will there ever be a car design like the Slants, so we had better make good use of riding them, because once they're gone, they're won't be another one behind it....

Archived