(4) Jerome Av EXP Pilot

R62A 1991

(4) Some Utica Av-bound trains run express from Mosholu Pkwy to 125 St

AM Rush Hour, 7 AM to 8 AM, Mon to Fri, Jun 8 - 26

Please allow additional travel time at skipped stations.

Link: http://travel.mtanyct.info/newtp/serviceAdvisories/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=ALL&date=06/08/2009&time=

I'd like to travel this...although it'd be a LONG ride from ENY to Woodlawn...

They're stopping at Woodlawn, Moshulu, Burnside, & 149th.

This is excellent news! I cannot wait to railfan this!

EDIT: Damn, this is only happening during one hour of the AM rush. I'd have to wake up really early because I'd have to go all the way from Brooklyn to Woodlawn, which takes like an hour and a half. I'd have to get there by 7:45 AM which means leaving my house 6:15 AM. Not happening. :cry:

Hopefully they will make this longer

Wow, that's crazy. There is good with this plan but bad too. It passes major stops like Bedford Park Blvd and Fordham Rd but good that there will be more room for passengers boarding in Manhattan. I'm very interested in seeing what happens with this experiment. This is going to be very big for the (4).

Yea I saw the posters at the Bedford Park Station for a pilot 4 express. It's a great Idea, I always thought their should be a 4 Express in the Bronx but like forest stated, the train should stop at Fordham and Bedford Park or just skip stops between Burnside and 149th Street.

As a frequent rider of the (4) line, here's what I have to say:

-As what people said, the line skips the important stops like Bedford Park Boulevard and Fordham Rd. There are Bee-Line interchanges at each of those stations.

-It also skips Yankee Stadium.

-Many riders won't like the fact that the 4 would skip a good load of stations between Burnside and 149th. A good number of them get on at those stations, not just at Bedford, Fordham or Yankee.

This set-up though, is not perfect. However it will fare much better than a skip-stop service on the line.

At that hour there's not much of a need for service at Yankee Stadium. The one thing that's lost is the transfer to the IND though for people who don't want to walk a block either way...

However I don't like that it skips important stops like Fordham Rd. and BPB. A lot of people use those stations to get on the (4) for their morning commute. Will be interesting to see what happens with this though

Here is what I think about it skipping important stops. Who cares? It will allow people to get from point A to point B faster with less crowds. Think about it, lets say you live on the upper east side. You get on at 86th street and want to go downtown to work, and the train is packed because it stopped at all those stops. But if you get an express, less people would be on it. Lets say you want to the Bronx from Manhattan, if you live on a express stop, your commute would be significantly shorter. No one loses here. Its just a service addition. Calm down people.

Example: More people use Avenue J and Avenue U than Newkirk Avenue on the Brighton line. Does that mean Brighton express service should be cancelled because more people get off on certain local stops than express stops.

I also support the West End Express even though most disagree because it skips "important stops" My reasoning is the same. Keep in mind, West End express service has been running since it opened until late 1967 when the Chrystie street connection opened.

You're not getting the logic. Take into account that there are quite a number of good schools around Bedford Park and neighboring areas on the (4) including Leman, Bronx Science, and a couple of regular schools. In addition to that, residences thrive in the stops that were previously mentioned before.

______

Who cares? The riders care. They can't afford to get to work or school a little bit late. By making a separate express service, you would have to detract from the original (4) service, making it something stupid to do.

That's not always true that getting people from Point A to B would be faster, and make trains less crowded. You would be doing the OPPOSITE. Think about it, more people are forced to squish onto the train that comes after their previous train. This creates MAJOR congestion onto the (4) line that is not needed at all.

Now, do you understand?

Here is what I think about it skipping important stops. Who cares? It will allow people to get from point A to point B faster with less crowds. Think about it, lets say you live on the upper east side. You get on at 86th street and want to go downtown to work, and the train is packed because it stopped at all those stops. But if you get an express, less people would be on it. Lets say you want to the Bronx from Manhattan, if you live on a express stop, your commute would be significantly shorter. No one loses here. Its just a service addition. Calm down people.

Example: More people use Avenue J and Avenue U than Newkirk Avenue on the Brighton line. Does that mean Brighton express service should be cancelled because more people get off on certain local stops than express stops.

I also support the West End Express even though most disagree because it skips "important stops" My reasoning is the same. Keep in mind, West End express service has been running since it opened until late 1967 when the Chrystie street connection opened.

Trust me when I say that this is Lexington Avenue you are talking about and that is NOT the case. EVERY train on Lexington Avenue is standing room only. This will have absolutely NO effect on lightening passengers loads on ANY trains, all it will do is reallocate passengers to different trains but they will still all be full.

However, what it WILL do is annoy people who's stops get skipped who now have to wait longer to crush onto trains that are every bit as crowded still. And those express trains aren't going to be any less crush loaded by the time they get to 86th street that's just the nature of Lexington Ave and what happens when you only got one service serving half of the busiest boro in the city...

That's why I say skipping important stops is a big deal...

Who cares? The riders care. They can't afford to get to work or school a little bit late. By making a separate express service, you would have to detract from the original (4) service, making it something stupid to do.

That's not always true that getting people from Point A to B would be faster, and make trains less crowded. You would be doing the OPPOSITE. Think about it, more people are forced to squish onto the train that comes after their previous train. This creates MAJOR congestion onto the (4) line that is not needed at all.

Now, do you understand?

The (4) currently has headways of 2-4 minutes, thats really short. An express service would not detract much from the local service.

As far as I am concerned the only major stop at the line is Yankee Stadium...but I don't ever think that that station would ever be converted to an express stop as that would take months to implement because it would be less beneficial to riders to baseball season, and would not happen quick enough between October and April.

Personally I would like to see (4) Bronx Local service to operate in tandem with <4> Express service during rush hours, middays and evenings. I believe that this would reduce the load of passengers at Woodlawn because those who want straight service to Manhattan and bypass all those stops can catch the express, as more people would be on those trains; those who want to go to any station before Burnside can catch the Local; those who want to to to any station between Burnside and 149th can take the Express to Burnside for the Local. This would reduce the load on the local stations, and as a result, the commute will be smoother for those at local stations.

And be real people, you only save about two or three minutes on average if you go straight from Woodlawn to Burnside and from Burnside to 149th so it wouldn't be a big deal if the express trains bypassed the local ones. I just wonder if there'll be enough extra trains for that though. I heard that thet may take the R142s off the (6) and give them to the (7) for CBTC and the displaced R62s will be homeless. Give them to the (4) to run extra service.

the <5> skips East Tremont Ave. and Simpson St. the <7> skips 74th/Broadway. the (:P and (D) skip 14th St. the (2) skips 59th St./Columbus Circle. there's always gonna be big stops skipped, even ones with a lot of transfers. but if the population over there is booming, they should get an express IMO

the <5> skips East Tremont Ave. and Simpson St. the <7> skips 74th/Broadway. the (:P and (D) skip 14th St. the (2) skips 59th St./Columbus Circle. there's always gonna be big stops skipped, even ones with a lot of transfers. but if the population over there is booming, they should get an express IMO

The MTA wanted to build an express stop at 59th Street since the 50s. It hasn't been implemented as of yet and the chances of that happening is slim.

Let's assume this becomes an official service pattern as is:

Not enough people get on at Woodlawn and Mosholu, so the train will probably look like its NIS when it hits Burnside. That will work in the AM for getting empty trains to Manhattan but it won't work speeding up the commute of N.Bronx riders nor if implemented during the PM rush. The train would just dump everyone out at Burnside and go practically empty to Mosholu as I've seen happen numerous times when a (4) made only express stops in the Bronx. The reserve peak service is far too spotty for people to be backtracking up to Mosholu for the <4>. Also the (4) local would still be SRO by Burnside as north of there BPB, Kingsbridge and Fordham have the most riders and those stops are skipped.

As a full time service trains would have to run local to Burnside then express.

Let's assume this becomes an official service pattern as is:

Not enough people get on at Woodlawn and Mosholu, so the train will probably look like its NIS when it hits Burnside. That will work in the AM for getting empty trains to Manhattan but it won't work speeding up the commute of N.Bronx riders nor if implemented during the PM rush. The train would just dump everyone out at Burnside and go practically empty to Mosholu as I've seen happen numerous times when a (4) made only express stops in the Bronx. The reserve peak service is far too spotty for people to be backtracking up to Mosholu for the <4>. Also the (4) local would still be SRO by Burnside as north of there BPB, Kingsbridge and Fordham have the most riders and those stops are skipped.

As a full time service trains would have to run local to Burnside then express.

Trust me by the time that 4 express got to 125th it'd be standing room only too...

Just the way it is on Lexington Ave...

Thank you. I like how they interviewed only people on the train. Because if they went to Fordham Road and 161st St, they would have gotten a completely different reaction. They had to wait up to 15 minutes for a local train today, which was unacceptable. Also, my train did not save me any time, as we were held in between 161st St & 149th St, as well as 138th St. I hope that is not the norm for this. But, honestly, I don't think they should keep it. It may provide seats at Burnside, but what about everyone else?

Archived