(4) Jerome Av EXP Pilot

R62A 1991

This conversation is much ado about nothing. The MTA is not going to convert any station to an express because it costs too much money and there's not enough ridership at the local stations to compensate for express service. Basically passengers north of Burnside will save 2-3 minutes if they catch a <4> at Burnside and take that straight to Manhattan. Riders between Burnside and 149th therefore have extra space because Burnside alleviates the load on the (4). By the time both (4) and <4> get to Manhattan, there is somewhat extra space, and people won't have to miss a train or two to get to where they want to go.

My only concern is the extra trains that they'll have to provide for the <4>, and Unlike Flushing, which has three tracks, Woodlawn has only two tracks, just like Van Cortlandt Park, Wakefield and Pelham Bay Park. Maybe that's why no express service runs between Parkchester and Pelham Bay Park because there'll be a greater demand for more trains during the peak direction and the trains waiting to start service will interrupt the flow of service in progress.

The problem is that riders between Burnside and 149th St are losing trains because they took trains from the (4) and put them on the <4> unless something from Monday changed. The only way for them to have more space is if everyone between Bedford Park Blvd and 183rd got off and took the express, OR if they kept the same # of (4) trains and instead use extras for the <4>, which probably isn't going to happen because I don't think there are enough. Those (4) trains are going to remain crowded. If something from Monday when I rode it has changed and some of the things I said now don't apply, please let me know.

i see it like this.... people talking about its gonna skip important stops. for those whos stop is getting skipped, it dont make a difference to them because they are still gonna be taking that same local train!

people talking about it skipping Bedford park because of the schools, but news flash! in the Am most of those people that go to them schools are heading woodlawn bound. so that dont effect them at all!!!!

i think its a good idea. the <7> skips "important stop" as well. what can you do?!?!?!

On some of the AM trips local riders between BPB and 183 are starting to transfer at Burnside to board the less crowded <4>. but I agree w/ most everyone's opinions that the <4> should go local to Burnside then express.

Maybe by having the (4) terminate at Bedford and the <4> continue to Woodlawn (should this program be expanded) they can free up a trainset or two in exchange for a reasonable headway at the local stops

i was just thinking that.... like the <6> goes local too parkchester then express down and the (6) starts at parkchester

you can do the same for the (4) and <4> . start the (4) at Burnside and run local down and <4> goes local to burnside and runs express the rest of the way!

but hey. it dont matter to me either way lol i like the service now

i see it like this.... people talking about its gonna skip important stops. for those whos stop is getting skipped, it dont make a difference to them because they are still gonna be taking that same local train!

people talking about it skipping Bedford park because of the schools, but news flash! in the Am most of those people that go to them schools are heading woodlawn bound. so that dont effect them at all!!!!

i think its a good idea. the <7> skips "important stop" as well. what can you do?!?!?!

Exactly. Thank you.

Well, an update is showing more regular local service along with the express service. I don't care if the <4> skips Bedford Park or 161st St, as long as those stations don't lose service. That's what I care about. They shouldn't lose service to compensate this <4> train, IMO. And I still want to hear what riders at those local stations have to say, because one way or another, if they do take trains from the (4), it affects them too.

Archived