Oak Point and Hell Gate

Fred G

After Woodlawn I scooted over to Oak Point and then to Wards Island to bask in the shadow of the Hell Gate Bridge.

10+AEM7+939+passing+Oak+Point.jpg

11+Amtrak+Regional+near+Oak+Point.jpg

14+HHP-8+leading+another+Regional.jpg

21+Acela+train+leaving+the+Hell+Gate.jpg

23+acela+train+on+Hell+Gate+approach.jpg

26+CSX+train+on+Little+Hell+Gate.jpg

33+welcome+to+my+office+2.jpg

35+Hell+Gat+Bridge.jpg

40+Acela+train+coming+up+the+ramp+2.jpg

44+AEM7+936+crossing+the+Hell+Gate.jpg

45+AEM7+936+leaving+the+Hell+Gate.jpg

55+Northeast+Regional.jpg

37+CSX+HyRail.jpg

definite Hy-Rail

50+Northeast+Regional+crossing+Little+Hell+Gate.jpg

63+Acela+2012+approaching+Oak.jpg

65+Acela+2012.jpg

66+SS+OAK.jpg

This is SS (Signal Station) OAK, at Oak Point yard in the Hunts Point section of the Bronicks.

your pal,

Fred

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Epic stuff (F)!!

That bridge needs some serious paint!

I wonder what the pay rate is for working up there...

- A

You seem to have caught my favorite toaster!

Great job! :cool:

Thanks, backline!

NICE!

Thanks!

Great shots!

Thanks!

Slammin pics!

Thanks!!

Great photos, Harry! I love bridges, especially ones with trains on them. Too bad about all the graffiti, though. Need to bring the vandals to justice!

Yeah, but message to graffiti guys: take me with you next time so I can get some pics up top :P

Excellent shots! Where was the last 2 Acela located?

Thanks, they're from a few blocks south of 149th on Bruckner Blvd.

These are great shots; I love the composition and contrast of all the B&W photos. I'd like to use them (with credit) for a photo class I'm teaching this summer, if you're okay with that. What's the make and model of your camera?

BTW, I've always wondered....do the engineers ever report you for being so close to the line? For that matter, have you ever had problems with trainspotting on Amtrak property?

These are great shots; I love the composition and contrast of all the B&W photos. I'd like to use them (with credit) for a photo class I'm teaching this summer, if you're okay with that. What's the make and model of your camera?

BTW, I've always wondered....do the engineers ever report you for being so close to the line? For that matter, have you ever had problems with trainspotting on Amtrak property?

Yes, if you credit me you can borrow my photo :P

I've had ordinary passengers call me in when railfanning at a station a couple of times but not engineers. Other than being on a station platform I never set foot on Amtrak property and use zoom lenses to "access" the track areas. Even though it might be tempting to cross the ROW to get the money shot, it would both set a bad example to others and even more importantly cause harm to our hobby by inviting strict regulations against photography by railroads.

Those are some great shots. I especially like the closeups showing the architectural detail of those massive concrete towers or anchorages or whatever you call them in bridge terminology. They sure don't build them like that anymore. That's got to be the most outstanding structure on the entire Amtrak system!

Archived