Arthur Kill lift bridge

Harry

Up Until 1953 SIR was connected from Tottenville to St. George, then continued via the North Shore to Arlington Yard, where the Arthur Kill Lift Bridge stands.

Technically on a road map, it will show the North Shore Rail Line as still being an active railroad, but in reality its long gone.

So , there is no connection between SIR and the Arthur Kill lift Bridge

However, since the CSX, Conrail, Norfolk Southern Freight line has recently been re-activated , we can hope to see the North Shore of the Staten Island Railway be reconstructed or, maybe HBLR will take over.

sitransitmap2.jpg

Hope this helps:D

It helped a lot thanks for posting. The Arthur Kill lift bridge is a one track only bridge. I wonder how a part-time extension of the SIR into New Jersey would benefit the people of Staten Island and New Jersey.

One place it will definately have to go to if that were happen is Jersey Gardens just outside Elizabeth and across the highway from EWR. Definately will affect what goes on at SI Mall.

But major work would be needed to be done if the MTA one days wants to try something like your idea, is to put 3rd rail and also make repairs needed on the bridge if need so.

One place it will definately have to go to if that were happen is Jersey Gardens just outside Elizabeth and across the highway from EWR. Definately will affect what goes on at SI Mall.

But major work would be needed to be done if the MTA one days wants to try something like your idea, is to put 3rd rail and also make repairs needed on the bridge if need so.

Yeah believe me I know it's an outrageous idea but just a thought.

Yeah believe me I know it's an outrageous idea but just a thought.

Haha, trust me, I've thought of even more outrageous ideas. This actually isn't as hard as it seems, its just trying to lay down 3rd rail and power it. But its a long process for the entire thing anyway.

• 4 months later...

After reviewing the disappeared northern SIRT branch on forgotten-ny.com, it seems the tracks and right of way are built over by houses and parks and stuff, i think it'd have to be built as a light rail installment along Richmond Terrace. This being said, i think NJT needs to extend light rail to EWR as well, and tie in the whole thing with new light rail tracks, using DMU, since the gauge is the same, you could simply put a switch to head it down the re-activated freight right of way, even if more track had to be put in to keep freight traffic from interfering with light rail service (if this makes any sense?). I've studied the paths that the NLR and SIR extensions would have to make to do all this, and it seems totally possible and practical. Also, there are several old freight lines that run under i-95 between Arthur Kill and EWR, but the lines seem to go through (though with some distance between) the oil storage areas, and may because of security reasons stay freight only, or unused entirely.

- Andy

• 7 months later...

(NJT) knows what they are doing more than others thats for sure, but the north shore line is half washed into the water, half abandoned. They could easily remove & rebuild and send it to the previously electrified line near the EWR rail station.

- A

Problem with the North Shore Line is that houses and parks were built over it, and built over so well you can't tell a rail line was ever there (I was at the ERA meeting this past friday and they showcased some photos from the past when the North Shore Line was abandoned but still there and what it is today), and like Andy said, most of it is washed away.

The only station that remains well is the Port Richmond stop. Would make for a perfect light rail stop, getting there would be the problem.