Question regarding the R142 vs R142A

The R142s have the larger fleet and operate on three different lines (rarely four), therefore they are more reliable. The R142As have a higher MDBF simply from the smaller fleet. If it was as big as the R142 fleet, it should be about the same as the R142 MDBF. The MTA chose Bombardier to carry out the larger order for the same reason they chose Bombardier for the R62As. To me, the R142s are quieter than the R142As inside (at least you can't hear the acceleration). Go Bombardier!

The reason why there are more 142's than 142A's is because Kawasaki prefers to take smaller orders. That's why there are more Alstom 160's than Kawasaki 160's. I prefer the 162A's over the 142's simply because the 142A's are more superior to the 142's. If Bombardier was great, then how come the 142's keep on breaking down. To go off-topic for a second, look how many problems the M7's had at first.

On the Lex lines it appears that the R142A cars have the most problems. There are quite a few instances of " stuck brakes " weekly but never on the R142 Bombardier cars. As far as car orders go the (MTA) goes with the lowest bidder as a rule for the lead provider and then Alstom, Bombardier, or Kawasaki is added on as a sub to fulfill the order. That's because it's rare for 1 manufacturer to be able to complete such large orders in the time frame allotted. If it was all about reliability then 1 supplier would make all the cars for each order. The (MTA) may not be the brightest bulb in the room but after the cracked trucks fiasco years ago they do spread the work around.

The R142s have the larger fleet and operate on three different lines (rarely four), therefore they are more reliable. The R142As have a higher MDBF simply from the smaller fleet. If it was as big as the R142 fleet, it should be about the same as the R142 MDBF. The MTA chose Bombardier to carry out the larger order for the same reason they chose Bombardier for the R62As. To me, the R142s are quieter than the R142As inside (at least you can't hear the acceleration). Go Bombardier!

The R142's MDBF are higher than the 142A's. I read that the R44's MDBF is higher than the 142A's.

The R142's MDBF are higher than the 142A's. I read that the R44's MDBF is higher than the 142A's.

no, i think you mean R68/68As. they have the highest MDBF in the entire system at well over 250,000 miles as of 2007. the R44s actually have the worst at around 106,000 miles, and i am not saying that because i hate them. it is true. if you do not believe me, go check http://www.nycsubway.org

The 142A's all the way. Back in late-2006, some 142's had to be taken OOS because of mechanical issues. That's why there are photos of 142A's on the (2) & (5) lines.

The mechanical issues were brake upgrades, if anyone's wondering

What is MDBF? I'm new to all this and I don't know all the details you people do... Also, what is finally better R142 or R142A? I've gotten so many different answers, but objectively which is better? Personally I like the R142A better.. I also like the R160B better than the R160A. Especially when equipped when equipped with Siemens traction motors. I believe the R142 to be boring when compared to the R142A. I live in Greece, but I was born in New York and I love NYCSubway! The subway system in Athens is very new but no match for the NYCSubway. It's very small. In Athens the first order of trains was made by Siemens and the second order by Mitsubishi. Thank you for answering my questions. I still want an answer which is 100% correct on which is better R142 or R142A. Thank you again! (MTA)

What is MDBF? I'm new to all this and I don't know all the details you people do... Also, what is finally better R142 or R142A? I've gotten so many different answers, but objectively which is better? Personally I like the R142A better.. I also like the R160B better than the R160A. Especially when equipped when equipped with Siemens traction motors. I believe the R142 to be boring when compared to the R142A. I live in Greece, but I was born in New York and I love NYCSubway! The subway system in Athens is very new but no match for the NYCSubway. It's very small. In Athens the first order of trains was made by Siemens and the second order by Mitsubishi. Thank you for answering my questions. I still want an answer which is 100% correct on which is better R142 or R142A. Thank you again! (MTA)

MDBF = mean distance between failure, or the average distance between something going wrong.

And R44, you really can't say a car is more reliable simply because it has the bigger fleet and runs more lines. That's actually quite unreasonable.

no, i think you mean R68/68As. they have the highest MDBF in the entire system at well over 250,000 miles as of 2007. the R44s actually have the worst at around 106,000 miles, and i am not saying that because i hate them. it is true. if you do not believe me, go check http://www.nycsubway.org

The numbers on there are old, it was posted on the chat by an TA worker that the 44's have an higher MDBF than the R142A and are predicted to outperform them.

@ the poster above he said INSIDE the train, not outside. The 142's are quieter inside the train than outside.

You realize that these kinds of questions will bring up railfan biases no matter what.

I like the R142As better. The two trains cars are virtually identical with a few differences, but I absolutely enjoy the AdTranz Propulsion nevertheless!

The numbers on there are old, it was posted on the chat by an TA worker that the 44's have an higher MDBF than the R142A and are predicted to outperform them.

@ the poster above he said INSIDE the train, not outside. The 142's are quieter inside the train than outside.

No, have you ever ridden a R142? Its much louder inside than any R142A.

I like the R142 (2)(4)(5). Unlike the R142A, you cannot hear the acceleration/propulsion from the inside of the train

The R142 are more reliable and it's acceleration is awesome.

However, the R142A don't slow down much on curves and seem faster.

I like the R142 (2)(4)(5).

The R142 are more reliable and it's acceleration is awesome.

I'm pretty sure the R142A's MDBF is higher than the R142's, making the R142A's more reliable.

IMO, I hate Alstom propulsion, its so annoying. I wouldn't want to hear it.

Archived