Does anyone in America live within their means?

LexAveExp5

on this day of the huge train operator exam, ive been reflecting on a critical time in my life, when i decided to drop out of college. i knew nothing of credit cards, bills, mortgage loans, civil service, labor unions, anything about real life. i dropped out with the notion that i would just apply to become a train operator because thats all i wanted to do. all i knew at the time was that college wasnt for me, and even if i could graduate i wouldnt have the social skills to land or keep a good job anyway. my only skills are attendance, (non) tardiness, and following instructions. i also knew that i am a very simple person who doesnt want a car, a house, or a big family. i fell into a good job at the post office and make good money. i even live with my parents rent free! but for some reason, the money just isnt falling into place like it should! all im trying to do is save up for a down payment on a STUDIO condo. the books say i should save 20%. the cheapest studios i see are $300,000. so i gotta save $60,000. im like at $3000 and i just dipped into that recently. the only bills i have are my cell phone, internet, metrocard, food (my mom cant really cook, she has bad legs to stand on), and i give my mom a couple hundred a month, not a lot. yeah i like to go to the movies in Times Square (the most expensive in the country) and a lot of touristy stuff like Top of the Rock or Madame Toussauds, etc. but how is it that everyone else can have 3-4 kids, a car, pay rent, buy new clothes all the time, and pay utilities like light/gas/electricity, etc? CNN says that this country is falling apart because everyone is living off their credit cards. and im living off my paycheck. it would be a big sigh of relief if thats true. i make $51k/yr and i dont pay rent. if i cant make it and everyone else can, then im truly messed up

on this day of the huge train operator exam, ive been reflecting on a critical time in my life, when i decided to drop out of college. i knew nothing of credit cards, bills, mortgage loans, civil service, labor unions, anything about real life. i dropped out with the notion that i would just apply to become a train operator because thats all i wanted to do. all i knew at the time was that college wasnt for me, and even if i could graduate i wouldnt have the social skills to land or keep a good job anyway. my only skills are attendance, (non) tardiness, and following instructions. i also knew that i am a very simple person who doesnt want a car, a house, or a big family. i fell into a good job at the post office and make good money. i even live with my parents rent free! but for some reason, the money just isnt falling into place like it should! all im trying to do is save up for a down payment on a STUDIO condo. the books say i should save 20%. the cheapest studios i see are $300,000. so i gotta save $60,000. im like at $3000 and i just dipped into that recently. the only bills i have are my cell phone, internet, metrocard, food (my mom cant really cook, she has bad legs to stand on), and i give my mom a couple hundred a month, not a lot. yeah i like to go to the movies in Times Square (the most expensive in the country) and a lot of touristy stuff like Top of the Rock or Madame Toussauds, etc. but how is it that everyone else can have 3-4 kids, a car, pay rent, buy new clothes all the time, and pay utilities like light/gas/electricity, etc? CNN says that this country is falling apart because everyone is living off their credit cards. and im living off my paycheck. it would be a big sigh of relief if thats true. i make $51k/yr and i dont pay rent. if i cant make it and everyone else can, then im truly messed up

That's exactly how i feel. I'm working this dead end accounting job, living at home, and paying my parents a couple hundred a month to help out. Meanwhile, I get absolutely raped with the amount of taxes they withold not just cuz of NYC but because of this company and the "illusion" of how much we make so that I usually get a sizeable refund every year because they overwith hold. So walking away with about 60% of my gross each period, paying my parents for my share of their rent, paying for 3 trips to BERA a month, food, and say 3-4 days of hanging out with friends, 1 to 2 of which involve going out, and that's it.

I paid off all my student loans and got out of debt, but the money isn't really growing that fast.

Meanwhile people that make as much as I do, but pay up to $1,600 in rent per month and go out "drinking" or "boozing" EVERY friday AND saturday night, have gone out and put down payments on cars and one is doing this on a condo already.

I make 55K a year.

So I agree...how is it that while I am being responsible and saving my money (partly because I want to leave this damn job at some point sooner rather than later) and might need to ride out the storm for a while until Transit (or something else) comes a'callin', people I work with have cars and houses already?

55K is not a lot of money that this should be happening. My theory is cuz I work with a bunch of "rich pricks" who have rich mommys and daddys that their parents are buying them everything. I know I'll make a similar amount as a T/O but I'm looking forward to it because it will mean 1) less hours 2) not being stuck in an office staring at a computer screen 3) no more busy work 4) no more office politics 5) no more pretentious snobby people 6) i get paid for my overtime and late nights and 7) ill actually meet interesting people again.

Seriously since I started this job I've met one interesting person, and he got laid off :mad: go figure...

I do agree about most living beyond their means. I think mommy and daddy spoiling junior and juniorette has a lot to do it. "your bank account ran out? :) let mommy and daddy take care of that for you" :P :tdown:

Archived