Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that I put no smoking on NYCT property on the office but that damn track platform got me I read it a couple of times

There are certain things they want to drill in your head from day one. It's like the drinking and driving questions when you got your learner's permit when you were all 16. The answer to ALL the smoking questions was no because as the paragraph was written there is no smoking in the entire system - trains cars offices platforms towers yards elevated tunnels bridges open-cut or work trains!

Same thing with the red signal questions...the point was to see how well people understood the concept of "if you run a read you WILL get tripped"

Some of the others weren't as cut and dry but those were...

I didnt think there were tricky questions at all. Everything seemed straight forward to me. But then again i took my sweet time going through the test. You only get to take this thing once like every 5 years. I wasn't about to rush.

Exactly. The questions were pretty straightforward and you had to reason through them and make sure you read it correctly. I went back and caught a couple things I missed the second time because you ALWAYS miss something the first time but it wasn't bad. A couple of the questions had answers that were worded confusingly, and a couple of the questions had answers that were "rule book" but didn't make a lot of sense...like rather than tell the track walker who didn't look both ways "hey man look both ways otherwise i'm supposed to bang you in! ;)" you're just supposed to call supervision on him :mad::tdown:

There are certain things they want to drill in your head from day one. It's like the drinking and driving questions when you got your learner's permit when you were all 16. The answer to ALL the smoking questions was no because as the paragraph was written there is no smoking in the entire system - trains cars offices platforms towers yards elevated tunnels bridges open-cut or work trains!

Same thing with the red signal questions...the point was to see how well people understood the concept of "if you run a read you WILL get tripped"

Some of the others weren't as cut and dry but those were...

yeah but the way they worded the red light question absolutely SUCKED! :cry: one of the choices was "if a train operator runs a red light the emergency brake will be tripped" and the other was "if the arm gets tripped the emergency brake will be tripped". how could one be the answer and not the other????

also about the radio codes. if the teenagers were playing on the tracks which code would you use? they had one code for person on the tracks and another code for customer disorderly conduct. but the code for BOTH were in the answer choices! how could one be the answer and not the other????

im looking forward to the Protest Period. its on the 5th wednesday and im off on wednesdays

Took the test at Franklin K Lane high school today, I got stuck on the questions about the New stadium, what avenue the museum was at and what island was the Statue of Liberty (Was there on a field trip too long ago) :mad:

Other then that it was pretty smooth :cool:

my knowledge about the rules and regulations of the MTA are limited. But it felt like it was a given if there are people on the tracks who arent track workers or some sorta authorized personnel it was unauthorized persons on the tracks. The one thing that got me was the "leaving end" thing of the train. I had to think what that meant before I came up with "oh yeah front end of the train leaves first". But that one question about which cars needed their brakes set when in the shop. I wasn't sure if it was car 9 and 10 since they emphasized car #1 was facing the bumper. I reasoned with myself that since they said car #1 was up against the bumper that cars 9 and 10 would be the ones.

Aren't you supposed to study something for the T/O test?

Nope, theres this green book you can get but the questions are outdated (I remeber seeing questions about R10's in the book WTF?) plus the questions are really techincal about brake valves and stuff that the average Joe would not know about. The test that the people on here took today is MUCH easier than that outdated motorman test thats in the green passbook.

the first question asked about the 30 second intervals. was the answer 2?

the one that asked how many complete round trips, was that 1?

i'll think of more...

I believe it was 1 complete round trip.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

that one was easy. U figure out the total cars the longer tracks could hold, the total cars the shorter ones could hold u get 72 for the longer tracks 50 for the shorter. 75% of 72 subtracted by 50% of 50 u get 43 additional to be stored before u fill the yard.

That was question 13,got that one wrong. I answered 79. I spent a lot of time on that one,my math was way off,lol.

ok good. but that wasn't even hinted at in the paragraph. they should assume we have ZERO knowledge on rules and regulations

They do but you have to remember not to overthink the question. It just said kids were on the tracks. It didn't say what they were doing. They could have been peacefully sleeping, you don't know, since it didn't say you can't assume they were being disorderly. Plus always go with the obvious answer. They're on the tracks. Kids can't work for MTA, and if they don't work for MTA they must be unauthorized. There fore that's the answer.

Yes, they COULD be behaving disorderly, and yes that code (which is actually "12-12" not RC whatever number) is meant for disorderly customers on the train, but even without knowing that the answer should have been easy to figure out you just have to be careful not to overthink it and confuse yourself.

I believe it was 1 complete round trip.

Looked like 1 to me. He never returned back to where he originally started on his second trip from what I saw so it was only 1 complete round trip and then he took the train out to the other end and was done.

That was question 13,got that one wrong. I answered 79. I spent a lot of time on that one,my math was way off,lol.

I only got that one cuz i recently took a remedial math course on purpose at school. I had the option to test out but I had a feeling it would be good to relearn my basic arithmetic algebra and what not. Guess it paid off. I used my calculator basically to add up minutes and was able to do the percentages by hand.

my knowledge about the rules and regulations of the MTA are limited. But it felt like it was a given if there are people on the tracks who arent track workers or some sorta authorized personnel it was unauthorized persons on the tracks. The one thing that got me was the "leaving end" thing of the train. I had to think what that meant before I came up with "oh yeah front end of the train leaves first". But that one question about which cars needed their brakes set when in the shop. I wasn't sure if it was car 9 and 10 since they emphasized car #1 was facing the bumper. I reasoned with myself that since they said car #1 was up against the bumper that cars 9 and 10 would be the ones.

Yup. 100% agree. Makes sense too. You'd want the cars with handbrakes set to be at the leaving end so the next T/O doesn't have to walk ALL the way back to release the handbrakes once his brakes are fully charged. "Common sense and courtesy"

Nope, theres this green book you can get but the questions are outdated (I remeber seeing questions about R10's in the book WTF?) plus the questions are really techincal about brake valves and stuff that the average Joe would not know about. The test that the people on here took today is MUCH easier than that outdated motorman test thats in the green passbook.

Heh...there were questions about the arNINES in there...and AMUE brake operation!

No wait, not even AMUE brake operation..."ME-23 brake valve operation" as compared to "ME-42 brake valve operation" and questions like "On post 1948 cars, what does the red hand on the duplex air gauge indicate" so yes that test was MUCH more technical (back when T/O was promotional only)

I took the 3:30pm test at JHS 008 in Jamaica. The line wasn't as long as I expected once I got on it but it built up as 3:30pm approached and past. We didn't get into the building until 4:20pm and the test didn't start until after 5pm. What I liked about this testing location is that they gave us the classroom assignment as we entered the building unlike when I took the C/O test in Dec '08... they herded us into the cafeteria and had us sit for almost an hour before the class assignments.

I think I did well on this test, probably not 100% but in the 90s. Did anyone have an answer sheet that was numbered from top to bottom instead of across left to right? The only reason I ask is because when I was leaving I couldn't help from noticing that the person taking the test to the left of me answered all his questions from top to bottom. :confused: I hope for his sake he had a different answer sheet than I did. :P

Archived