Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

Im one.. I already make somewhere between starting salary of a T/O and Dispatcher.. I dont plan on staying T/O for the whole 25 years though and with overtime I would definately make more than I do now. But at the same time I wont get a pension doing the job I do now and have to fund my own retirement account..

yeah, the benefits are almost impossible to beat unless you're getting free Yankees tickets or something lol

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always felt that reading comprehension is intelligence! IMO.

Both math and reading comprehension serve four functions: a) to determine whether the prospective employee pays attention or is a mindless zombie; B) to determine whether the prospective employee is capable of thinking on his/her own and is not incapable of coming to a conclusion without having the answers posted in boldfaced black font with white backing (and even then some people will get the answer wrong; c) to determine whether the prospective employee can understand basic concepts as well as learn new concepts with fairly minimal effort and time expenditure; and d) to determine whether the prospective employee has a functioning memory.

It never fails to amaze me when some of these people taking an exam ask: a) what the date is, what room they're in or what title the exam is for, when all three are clearly posted where all can see, two of which are on the admission ticket and one of which, if it's not known, should constitute an automatic failure and immediate removal from the test site, complete with a dunce cap worn on the way out; B) get the practice questions at the beginning of each section wrong, while the answer and reasoning is stated on the same page after the question and choices are listed; c) ask the exam proctor how to work a wall-mounted planetary (hand-cranked) pencil sharpener and then proceed to turn the handle in the wrong direction, break the pencil tip off seven times in a row, insert the eraser end into the casing or can't figure out which hand holds the pencil and which hand turns the crank until the proctor comes over the bail the person out by doing it for him/her; or - and this is easily my personal favorite - d) ask the proctor if he/she "could have that yellow piece of paper that I got in the mail back just for two seconds, because I forgot how to spell my name."

Oddly enough, those types of people make some of the best employees, because they either do PRECISELY as they're told by their superiors without questions and definitely without answers and they don't even come close to making an attempt at thinking outside of the box changing things even slightly, or they'll leave the back-breaking and brain-busting tasks up to the seasoned veterans to do.

a lot of the people who score 100's and 99's have higher paying jobs already

I wonder how much the failing test-takers do for work and how much they make. . . .

Sorry, I forgot that's none of my business (pun intended).

B)

yeah, the benefits are almost impossible to beat unless you're getting free Yankees tickets or something lol

Because you can retire on those, right?

P.S. I apologize for the Tic-Tac-Toe posting. I'm just trying to up my post count to be :cool:.

As far as I know, I'm the only one from the forums who scored a 100 on the test (or at least admitted it). Thanks for the compliment.

Even with that, I'm not holding my breath. I'm doing what I've been telling everyone else over and over again....continue on with life and your career. Yes, I will take it if/when I am offered it (the world always needs Paramedics), but until then, it's hurry-up-and-wait. Yes, I'm anxious to find out my list number; however, I also accept reality. It will happen when it happens.

(S)low your role ,I didn't see my Final yet,I might be in there as well with Subway guy also

Nytech your score if it stands will not be good enough to get hired. Don't feel bad though lots of people even people that scored a 97.50 will not get hired only 98.75 and higher will get you in and it will be around 3 years or so since the promotional

list is 1000 names long. So don't count on it

Nytech your score if it stands will not be good enough to get hired. Don't feel bad though lots of people even people that scored a 97.50 will not get hired only 98.75 and higher will get you in and it will be around 3 years or so since the promotional

list is 1000 names long. So don't count on it

wow, now you're just making up shit

wow, now you're just making up shit

LOL i know people who got a 94 on the 1st Open Competitive T/O Test, heck i got a 95!

Most of us was hired a year after we took the test in 2000....

Nine years and counting...

If you dont know just be quiet, Something i see some people just dont understand.

oh, i forgot two more reasons to stay positive.

1. the fact that they havent hired anybody in the past 5 months without declaring it an official "freeze" only HELPS those of us that took 8098. if they were hiring all this time there would REALLY be no slots for us! yeah once they start the promotionals its still a long wait but at least its moving TOWARDS us, cuz once the promotionals is done its our turn. but they could hire a million more people from 2085 and the list wouldnt be ONE NAME CLOSER to us. honest to god i hope they dont call one more name until october when 2085 expires

2. we MIGHT be seeing an actual bailout that doesnt depend on tax revenues, and MUST be used for operational purposes rather than capital construction. this is a major piece of legislation that would hold off all service cuts and job cuts for the next few years, and its not getting much talk on these forums (i know there's one thread called "federal aid for MTA?" but other than that not much). http://www.twulocal100.org/story/sen-schumers-message-preserve-public-transportation

"Sen. Schumer said that the bill would provide a needed infusion of $2 billion in operating assistance to hard hit agencies from coast to coast. He said that under current formulas, New York would get $345 million, enough, he said 'to hold off all job and service cuts for the next few years'.”

:tup:

What is with the self help bullshit on this thread? There's no reason to "stay positive" or be "debbie downer" just be a realist and do what I've said 7 to 20 pages ago. LIVE YOUR LIFE, and if you get called be pleasantly surprised. This isn't the NBA draft so quit asking for updates. Right now there are none. I know that sucks, I know a lot were looking forward to it, but asking constantly is pointless. Telling people no is pointless. Then everyone getting together for a hug and saying "we're staying positive" is pointless.

Just do what you do and wait. In the meantime get shit done and stack as much paper as you can. Live your life and have fun. Then when you get the call, take it or leave it.

am i the only one who thinks that whoever thinks its pointless should respond to other threads instead?

I don't think the thread is pointless. A number of things can be discussed related to the test, but "how far along the hiring is" has been beaten to death. When news happens, it will be posted. Alex L. and others have been good about keeping everyone updated, so if you hear nothing, odds are nothing has changed.

However the thread is very useful, it's just this "so are they hiring yet?" every 2 weeks is getting old. That's all I'm saying.

oh, i forgot two more reasons to stay positive.

1. the fact that they havent hired anybody in the past 5 months without declaring it an official "freeze" only HELPS those of us that took 8098. if they were hiring all this time there would REALLY be no slots for us! yeah once they start the promotionals its still a long wait but at least its moving TOWARDS us, cuz once the promotionals is done its our turn. but they could hire a million more people from 2085 and the list wouldnt be ONE NAME CLOSER to us. honest to god i hope they dont call one more name until october when 2085 expires

2. we MIGHT be seeing an actual bailout that doesnt depend on tax revenues, and MUST be used for operational purposes rather than capital construction. this is a major piece of legislation that would hold off all service cuts and job cuts for the next few years, and its not getting much talk on these forums (i know there's one thread called "federal aid for MTA?" but other than that not much). http://www.twulocal100.org/story/sen-schumers-message-preserve-public-transportation

"Sen. Schumer said that the bill would provide a needed infusion of $2 billion in operating assistance to hard hit agencies from coast to coast. He said that under current formulas, New York would get $345 million, enough, he said 'to hold off all job and service cuts for the next few years'.”

:tup:

Do yourself a favor and don't rely on the U.S. Senate to fund your job. Most bills that are proposed in the Senate die in committee or get fillerbustered.

Archived