Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
after they get through the 800 people ahead of you on the promotion list. and since that seems to be the safest title i dont see a lot of people turning it down. but anyway lets get this started.

Are there really 800 Eligibles on the promo list?

Are there really 800 Eligibles on the promo list?

a friend of mine (former (MTA) employee) told me that if retirees are forced to start paying for healthcare, there will be a STAMPEDE of retirements! that 833 will dwindle, along with many open slots that would be created. its all hearsay but it does make sense because it wouldnt affect those who are already retired. so they would leave before the date it takes effect. does anyone know if that can be done unilaterally by the state legislature or does it have to be agreed to by the union?

List # 1243 Score 95, so if I get called they way things are now it would be the year 3000.

Congrats now should I call you MTO. Mad Train Op. Lol

congrats to those and think positive but I'm glad we are hearing word on scores finally so I will be checking tge mail for the letter

just bought The Cheif and our list in NOT in there this week. dammit :mad:

oh and just to remind everyone for when the official answer key comes out, i protested numbers 17, 52, and 70. so if the answer key has more than one accepted answer for any of those questions... YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

How do they determine tiebreakers?,date of application sent or last 4 numbers of your SS?

The last four or five digits of an applicant's SSN, depending on how many applicants there are. They draw random numbers from 0 through 9 like a lotto drawing, and they match them up. It's not exactly done with numbered ping pong balls and an air draft, but that's the gist of the tiebreaking scheme.

for those of you who know how this works, here's a thing I'm trying to understand about this whole exam process at this point: on the o/c list, when your list number comes up, and your requirements for the job (ie, 5 yrs work experience) checks out OK, and you pass the physical - then, are you pretty much given the job at that point? can they reject you for some reason, something like: they don't like that you worked in an office for the last 3 years, or you didn't work at all from 2006-2008, etc. 2 questions, I guess: CAN they do that? and DO they do that regularly?

I mean, it just seems weird for this process to be so long - apply for the exam, take the exam, wait a year for your list number, wait 3 more years to get called, then they're like: nah, even though you qualify for the job, we don't like that you worked at mcdonald's for the last couple years, you're not hired. Does that happen?

Wow lex you are really that optimistic??? Be realistic do you think the mta will hire a lot of train operators??? The 800 or so on the promotional will take years to get through. It took 2years last time and this time around as the mta is a complete mess prob 3 years maybe 4 .

for those of you who know how this works, here's a thing I'm trying to understand about this whole exam process at this point: on the o/c list, when your list number comes up, and your requirements for the job (ie, 5 yrs work experience) checks out OK, and you pass the physical - then, are you pretty much given the job at that point? can they reject you for some reason, something like: they don't like that you worked in an office for the last 3 years, or you didn't work at all from 2006-2008, etc. 2 questions, I guess: CAN they do that? and DO they do that regularly?

I mean, it just seems weird for this process to be so long - apply for the exam, take the exam, wait a year for your list number, wait 3 more years to get called, then they're like: nah, even though you qualify for the job, we don't like that you worked at mcdonald's for the last couple years, you're not hired. Does that happen?

as long as you meet the requirements(5 years of full time work exp), there shouldnt be a problem.......the major problem is when you get the physical; the ta doctors are known to hold you out for ANYTHING minor..my suggestion to all is to get a physical from your doctor before you get called by the ta............

primo makes a point; the wild card is the promotionals.........the key is how many take the job and actually keep it? some people go for the training and then go back to their former title.......

also, when it comes down to the o/c list, a lot of guys eliminate themselves(whether it be the drug test, the physcial, etc); so i think guys with a list # of at least 2,000 have a shot at being called.........

Wow lex you are really that optimistic??? Be realistic do you think the mta will hire a lot of train operators??? The 800 or so on the promotional will take years to get through. It took 2years last time and this time around as the mta is a complete mess prob 3 years maybe 4 .

yeah it'll be a while, but there are still things that can happen to shorten the wait. the main one is retirements. they aren't talking about attrition with train operators yet so as people retire, vacancies will have to be filled. how can the process of retirements be expedited? 1- the cut in overtime will no longer allow T/O's to pad their pensions so they'll get out while the "high 3" is good. 2- if future retirees will be forced to pay for healthcare, those eligible will quickly become "current" retirees, if you get my drift. 3- the economy can get better. this was SUPPOSED to be a period of enormous retirements due to the fact that the baby boomer generation is hitting the retirement age this decade plus the large amount of hiring the (MTA) did in the 1980's.

will all of these happen? probably not. can they? definitely :)

as long as you meet the requirements(5 years of full time work exp), there shouldnt be a problem.......the major problem is when you get the physical; the ta doctors are known to hold you out for ANYTHING minor..my suggestion to all is to get a physical from your doctor before you get called by the ta............

primo makes a point; the wild card is the promotionals.........the key is how many take the job and actually keep it? some people go for the training and then go back to their former title.......

also, when it comes down to the o/c list, a lot of guys eliminate themselves(whether it be the drug test, the physcial, etc); so i think guys with a list # of at least 2,000 have a shot at being called.........

so the physical's the thing to watch out for...good to know, thanks rtype.

We do have alot of Train Operators planning to retire this year but they Rather fill the spot with Ovetime then hire new People. Hell I been doing so many extra trips on the (6) Line I am starting to think I'm getting over when I only do 3 trips. Thats how we been covering some Jobs just let 3 T/O's do an extra trip and don't assign anyone to pick up the job.

We do have alot of Train Operators planning to retire this year but they Rather fill the spot with Overtime then hire new People. Hell I been doing so many extra trips on the (6) Line I am starting to think I'm getting over when I only do 3 trips. Thats how we been covering some Jobs just let 3 T/O's do an extra trip and don't assign anyone to pick up the job.

Really, no new T/Os to cover the retirees? That's something. I bet those T/Os are taking advantage.

We do have alot of Train Operators planning to retire this year but they Rather fill the spot with Ovetime then hire new People. Hell I been doing so many extra trips on the (6) Line I am starting to think I'm getting over when I only do 3 trips. Thats how we been covering some Jobs just let 3 T/O's do an extra trip and don't assign anyone to pick up the job.

That's a very perceptive observation PBD. The (MTA) wants to hire as few personnel as possible in the near future. The less people on the payroll means that fewer benefits must be paid out in the future. They would rather pay OT to the present workers by changing work programs to add trips,( watch out next pick), than add a new person who will cost money in benefits for a career. Something like a Tier 5 or the like helps their bottom line long into the future while paying OT now doesn't hurt them at all. As cold as it may seem, to someone like " Uncle Fester " the person busting his/her ass everyday with OT isn't going to live as long so that person is doing the (MTA) a favor. Drop dead and you become somebody elses problem, not the (MTA)s. There used to be an announcement played on train radios every day from Command Center. " Your safety is important to us". When was the last time we heard that? Just my 2 cents.

" Your safety is important to us". When was the last time we heard that? Just my 2 cents.

No the CUSTOMERS SAFETY is important to them, we are just a bunch of peons moving their equipment...

I havent heard that announcement in a long time myself......

Just got my results... 92.5 with a list number 2443

Sad to say that for not knowing at all what I was getting into and for someone who rarely leaves my house I think I did good on this test but I am probably not gonna get called by what I see here. :(

I hope I get in for the conductor though at least. Rather get this but I'd be happy with the conductor I can always move up to this from there later before they put in the automated things in.

Archived