Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

It's not really a "freeze" but all classes have been cancelled for the time being. Classes were rumored to be starting in August and October (as told to me by a friend) but I haven't asked him about that in a month, and I don't know what they are classes of (T/O's or C/R's). I can ask later this week or early next week possibly.

Subwayguy, what your friend heard can only be a rumor that isn't true from what I have found out. I spoke with the woman that is in charge of contacting people on the list for C?R and T/O both promo and O/C a week ago, and while they aren't calling it a freeze (They are calling it a "hold" on all RTO hiring) they are not hiring in any title in RTO right now, and have no plans to hire for the foreseeable future.

My gut tells me they are waiting for all the layoffs to go through, and waiting for a little time to pass, like maybe October when the old T/O list expires. After that they will burn through the promotional list because they won't be calling up the laid off promotionals. They will probably use the excuse that they tried reaching the laid off B/Os, but couldn't get in contact with them, so they skipped them on the list. In that case they will only promote conductors. After the Conductors go to the promotions, they will do the same to the S/As and cleaners that they will do to the B/Os. I think that is how they are going to do the cuts besides saving money with the layoffs. The layoffs will lead to more O/C list hires at bottom pay rather than top pay for a promoted S/A or cleaner. That's how they will save the most money regarding employee salary. New employees, even if they work overtime will still make less, so they win there too. They might even pull a layoff for the new conductors before they are vested after 5 years on the job.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subwayguy, what your friend heard can only be a rumor that isn't true from what I have found out.

Yup that's why I said "Classes were rumored to be starting..." :P but I haven't talked to my friend in a while so I don't have any updates on rumors or facts at this point but maybe next week by this time i might. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the classes were cancelled.

As for the rest of your post I agree with that since TA doesn't want to have to hire back those they laid off. It's been a bloodbath so far, including the cuts in car equipment. Schoolcar has been downsized too, a lot of supervision was headed back to the road...

It wasn't. When a question is protested, the original answer is always accepted and other answers that are successfully argued are too. I got 100 on the test based on my self-scoring when the key was published, and when the results went final that was still true. None of the original answers was "changed" however a few questions did accept more than one answer. If you scored higher on your self-scoring than the actual I'd score it again to check for accuracy (it's possible you looked at the wrong number on the answer key for one of them). It's also possible you copied an answer incorrectly onto your Candidate Record of Answers, or you copied something and then changed it on your test after completing the CRA. If you still think there's a discrepancy, all you can do is call and ask.

It's not really a "freeze" but all classes have been cancelled for the time being. Classes were rumored to be starting in August and October (as told to me by a friend) but I haven't asked him about that in a month, and I don't know what they are classes of (T/O's or C/R's). I can ask later this week or early next week possibly.

When there is a "tie" the tie breaker apparently is based off the last 5 digits of the candidate's SSN. A random number is chosen (0 through 9) and the last 5 applied, and that creates the tie breaker. In the past they've also used things like filing date as a tie breaker. I guess they must've stopped since it's not exactly fair when someone can file electronically and "win" and someone who puts it in the mail drops back 3 days in the tie breaker while the mail gets delivered and processed by DCAS.

Greatly appreciated!!

The sad part is that the cr list was established for promotions about a year ago and only

112 were called out of 445 eligibles. 25% of the list and cr is a high turnover title. Very grim outlook for cr and to

Grim for maybe anyone over 1000, but just a very long delay for anyone under 1000. They have to hire eventually. I know Jay Walder would love to get rid of everyone, but he can't run just 1 train a day. It will get a little too crowded that way, even if they hire Japanese conductors to push everyone in.

The sad part is that the cr list was established for promotions about a year ago and only

112 were called out of 445 eligibles. 25% of the list and cr is a high turnover title. Very grim outlook for cr and to

yeah but this "hold" is just a one-time thing, isnt it?

As for the rest of your post I agree with that since TA doesn't want to have to hire back those they laid off. It's been a bloodbath so far, including the cuts in car equipment. Schoolcar has been downsized too, a lot of supervision was headed back to the road...

It seems as if the hiring process will never began

yeah but this "hold" is just a one-time thing, isnt it?

That all depends on if Barrack and the gang can fix the economy and keep it steady over the next couple of years. Then again a large portion of his gang may not be there after December 31st. There was too much damage to the economy for it to be fixed quickly, so what may be a short temporary freeze could go on until the end of the year. It will be tough to push for new hiring when the MTA says they still have a large budget gap. Maybe the next governor will give the MTA more money. All speculation. There is no precedent here to be able to make a good prediction.

just my luck....list # 1204

You never know 100%. Maybe a lot of people ahead of you will get discouraged because of their list number and will forget about it, then never update their address with DCAS when they move. They may move out of state and live too far to take the job. They may not even want the job by the time they get called and will pass it up. Nothing is certain in these uncertain times right now.

i would not put too much faith in being called for conductor. with towers being closed and atd being phased out all those people are being sent back to conductor. i have seen the letter they recieved and it sucks. most were out of title for more than a year so when they come back they are at the bottom. so why would they need to hire off a list when they have plenty to put back at the bottom.

Yeah its looking bad for the C/R List like what has been said ATD and Tower Operators are being sent back to their former titles which were Station Agent and Conductor. The only promotion exam for Conductors now is Train Operator. We have a lot of C/R's who got no desire to Operate a train so the days of C/R being a high turnover title are over. It was good while it lasted weekends off with 4 years will be the thing of the past.

Yeah its looking bad for the C/R List like what has been said ATD and Tower Operators are being sent back to their former titles which were Station Agent and Conductor. The only promotion exam for Conductors now is Train Operator. We have a lot of C/R's who got no desire to Operate a train so the days of C/R being a high turnover title are over. It was good while it lasted weekends off with 4 years will be the thing of the past.

Yeah Now its the T/O's turn, and thats going to happen...

i would not put too much faith in being called for conductor. with towers being closed and atd being phased out all those people are being sent back to conductor. i have seen the letter they recieved and it sucks. most were out of title for more than a year so when they come back they are at the bottom. so why would they need to hire off a list when they have plenty to put back at the bottom.

TW/Os and ATDs that are forcibly returned to their previous titles due to downsizing and have completed their probation in that former title will be returned to their seniority location. they will not go to the bottom of the list.

TW/Os and ATDs that are forcibly returned to their previous titles due to downsizing and have completed their probation in that former title will be returned to their seniority location. they will not go to the bottom of the list.

now is it a agreement from the union and managment or is it part of the civil service status?

• 2 weeks later...

i have to honestly say this, but now working for NYC Transit is no longer my number 1 choice B) . i rather stay at the post office now. after reading this board for over a year, yes operating a train would be awesome but they get treated like garbage for no reason. their new 4 year plan includes wage freezes for 2 years, and its highly likely i wont get in at Tier 4 anyway. i currently have a no-layoff clause, make about $60k anyway, pay only $40 bi-weekly for HIP health insurance, and even though the pension isnt as good, we get a match up to 5% on our 401(k)-type savings plan and i can personally retire at 57 since i started at age 19 (im 25 now). im not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. (MTA) is too strict with its work rules regarding attendance, tardiness, cell phone and bathroom use, and way too easy to get written up for shit like your hand slipping off the deadman's feature, thus putting the train into emergency. what if you have to blow your nose or there's a really bad itch you need to scratch? you gotta wait til the next station? you get written up for missing the 10 car mark. what if you sneezed as you approached it and missed? at the post office i unofficially get a half hour coffee break, 1 hr lunch, and half hour wash up time at the end of the night and transit isnt even guaranteed a lunch??? give me a break (literally)! and you'll never really have a set schedule to arrive for work because of all the service changes during nights and weekends expected to last for at least the next 30 years. nobody talks about the isolation. i can talk to dozens of people if i want to now. we listen to the radio, talk sports, its great! and it appears that now the money/benefits arent going to be there anyway. and i still wont get the comprehensive dental and life insurance that i currently get at the post office. so what's the point? you get fired if you get a disease like diabetes. you cant even be a human being there. don't even get me started on the rats, the 3rd rail, and the steel dust that will cut your life short... plus, i REALLY dont like the idea of being in the public eye. no matter where you go with that uniform people will hate you, know how much you make, ask for directions, you can't look at beautiful women without getting a complaint (hey, i like to look at the ladies ok!), your own employer talks about how you're the "shame of the system" in the newspaper. i have a job driving a jitney around a postal facility, and even though i can only go 5 mph i am VERY grateful for my current job, and i never was before i found out about all this. HOWEVER, if the shit hits the fan at the post office (we're billions in the hole ourselves), i sure am glad im on the list for train operator :(

i have to honestly say this, but now working for NYC Transit is no longer my number 1 choice :( . i rather stay at the post office now. after reading this board for over a year, yes operating a train would be awesome but they get treated like garbage for no reason. their new 4 year plan includes wage freezes for 2 years, and its highly likely i wont get in at Tier 4 anyway. i currently have a no-layoff clause, make about $60k anyway, pay only $40 bi-weekly for HIP health insurance, and even though the pension isnt as good, we get a match up to 5% on our 401(k)-type savings plan and i can personally retire at 57 since i started at age 19 (im 25 now). im not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. (MTA) is too strict with its work rules regarding attendance, tardiness, cell phone and bathroom use, and way too easy to get written up for shit like your hand slipping off the deadman's feature, thus putting the train into emergency. what if you have to blow your nose or there's a really bad itch you need to scratch? you gotta wait til the next station? you get written up for missing the 10 car mark. what if you sneezed as you approached it and missed? at the post office i unofficially get a half hour coffee break, 1 hr lunch, and half hour wash up time at the end of the night and transit isnt even guaranteed a lunch??? give me a break (literally)! and you'll never really have a set schedule to arrive for work because of all the service changes during nights and weekends expected to last for at least the next 30 years. nobody talks about the isolation. i can talk to dozens of people if i want to now. we listen to the radio, talk sports, its great! and it appears that now the money/benefits arent going to be there anyway. and i still wont get the comprehensive dental and life insurance that i currently get at the post office. so what's the point? you get fired if you get a disease like diabetes. you cant even be a human being there. don't even get me started on the rats, the 3rd rail, and the steel dust that will cut your life short... plus, i REALLY dont like the idea of being in the public eye. no matter where you go with that uniform people will hate you, know how much you make, ask for directions, you can't look at beautiful women without getting a complaint (hey, i like to look at the ladies ok!), your own employer talks about how you're the "shame of the system" in the newspaper. i have a job driving a jitney around a postal facility, and even though i can only go 5 mph i am VERY grateful for my current job, and i never was before i found out about all this. HOWEVER, if the shit hits the fan at the post office (we're billions in the hole ourselves), i sure am glad im on the list for train operator ;)

Geez....

Archived