Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

Yeah that sounds about right! The one rule they hit every T/O with is "Train Operators must have their train under control at all times".

Hmm. Yeah that is something that would help wouldn't it. I'm thinking of a time at Broad Channel where a T/O looked quite scared coming into the station.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm. Yeah that is something that would help wouldn't it. I'm thinking of a time at Broad Channel where a T/O looked quite scared coming into the station.

Yeah but it's more than that. IINM "Train under control" means able to stop within field of vision. In many cases, particularly going express in areas where there are higher speed curves, it's very difficult to see what's ahead due to the limited vision created by the curve. Of course a yellow signal gives a T/O time to slow down before a red so if the signals are working right he shouldn't hit a red, but you never know what other conditions may be ahead.

That rule just sounds like a way of busting T/O's balls when an incident happens. If the T/O slows down on the express curves, no way he makes it to the terminal in time, then it will be the classic "where did you lose your time?" instead.

Grim for maybe anyone over 1000, but just a very long delay for anyone under 1000. They have to hire eventually. I know Jay Walder would love to get rid of everyone, but he can't run just 1 train a day. It will get a little too crowded that way, even if they hire Japanese conductors to push everyone in.

lol

Yeah but it's more than that. IINM "Train under control" means able to stop within field of vision. In many cases, particularly going express in areas where there are higher speed curves, it's very difficult to see what's ahead due to the limited vision created by the curve. Of course a yellow signal gives a T/O time to slow down before a red so if the signals are working right he shouldn't hit a red, but you never know what other conditions may be ahead.

That rule just sounds like a way of busting T/O's balls when an incident happens. If the T/O slows down on the express curves, no way he makes it to the terminal in time, then it will be the classic "where did you lose your time?" instead.

You wouldn't believe it... I've seen people writing to Line Managers about T/Os operating too slow through express stretches and stating that they were clogging up the railroad by not operating properly. And they're not TSS's, T/Ds or ATDs either.

You wouldn't believe it... I've seen people writing to Line Managers about T/Os operating too slow through express stretches and stating that they were clogging up the railroad by not operating properly. And they're not TSS's, T/Ds or ATDs either.

Pathetic...

Heh...I'll believe anything, at least down in TA land. With the return of the beakies, these sorts of things are probably going to pop up more often.

You're both right on the money. Railfans in TA-land acting as self-appointed beakies. When it's come up, I've said that as far as I'm concerned, that's the business of TSSs and other road supervision. It's pathetic and cowardly to think that people get enjoyment out of screwing over their own people and don't even have the guts to confront their targets. But that seems to be the (MTA) way to do business.

You're both right on the money. Railfans in TA-land acting as self-appointed beakies. When it's come up, I've said that as far as I'm concerned, that's the business of TSSs and other road supervision. It's pathetic and cowardly to think that people get enjoyment out of screwing over their own people and don't even have the guts to confront their targets. But that seems to be the (MTA) way to do business.

It's not just the MTA buddy. Sick people are all around. I heard recently there is some guy (a real low life) recording fellow census workers not being dressed exactly the way the Censless wants them to. They over hired and are now trying to fire people. He shows his video to the head at the office and he is firing people left and right with the evidence. All this for a temporary job. This guy is the scum of the earth. The people that work at the census can't find work and that's why they are there and this temporary employee is ruining what little they have over very minuscule crap like not wearing the correct shoes. It's not like he benefits other than gaining points with Satan.

Ok, Ill bite. What is a 'Beakie'? :(
A RAT BASTARD!!!!! People going around checking to see if yur doing yur job.When I was a cleaner,I used to see them messing with the station agents.They would check to see if the agents would "Nickel" meaning pocket the money and let them thru the gate or to see if the agents are being rude if he/she have too many customer complaints.Beakies as far as I know were part of supervision.You could smell them!!!They were too obvious....

A RAT BASTARD!!!!! People going around checking to see if yur doing yur job.When I was a cleaner,I used to see them messing with the station agents.They would check to see if the agents would "Nickel" meaning pocket the money and let them thru the gate or to see if the agents are being rude if he/she have too many customer complaints.Beakies as far as I know were part of supervision.You could smell them!!!They were too obvious....

Isn't that basically a TSS?

Isn't that basically a TSS?
LMAO!!!!OMG that's GREAT!!!!I'm not gonna lie you have a couple of "Beakie" type TSS's around that just LIVE to get you in trouble but usually TSS's keep it movin...You might have people from "system safety" riding yur train at any given moment too.Quick story...I was on the (A) last month and my C/R was sooo slow and we got to Mott Ave. a lil tardy and I noticed this "System Safety" guy that I saw at 130 Livingston Street(I NEVER forget a face) get off my train and he rolled his eyes at me I guess he missed his bus or something.:( You NEVER know who's riding yur train...Ha Ha

LMAO!!!!OMG that's GREAT!!!!I'm not gonna lie you have a couple of "Beakie" type TSS's around that just LIVE to get you in trouble but usually TSS's keep it movin...You might have people from "system safety" riding yur train at any given moment too.Quick story...I was on the (A) last month and my C/R was sooo slow and we got to Mott Ave. a lil tardy and I noticed this "System Safety" guy that I saw at 130 Livingston Street(I NEVER forget a face) get off my train and he rolled his eyes at me I guess he missed his bus or something.:( You NEVER know who's riding yur train...Ha Ha

I forgot the TSS's name, but his nickname was the fashion police because he would bother conductors about their uniforms.

They're called beakies because the IRT used to use them during the era of privatized subways to go around and sniff out "union activity" before and during the formation of the TWU in the 1930's - IINM they were named after the guy they reported to. Today the word is used to apply to any "rat bastard" taddle-tale type.

There was a few of those types of TSS's in B Div but one of them came to A Div. I Remember a TSS on the (V) use to always try to go after my Conductor all the time. We use to just figure out ways to get back at him. Then he went to the (A) Line.

Are you talking about the TSS that has a twin? I remember, the twin was nicer, and the evil twin went to the A division. He was balding if I remember right and wore glasses.

Just an update for anyone wondering. I made a call today and there still is a freeze in all RTO hiring, and no hiring planned, but my source said there is a chance if there is a real need they could start hiring soon. I would assume that would only take place if there are a lot more retirements than expected since they did have massive service cuts. Since many of the cuts were made in June after the school year ended, and while many people begin taking their vacations, we should see the real need for Subway and bus service starting in September when everyone's schedule's go back to normal. Also, the the promotional conductor list only consisted of about 25% Station Agents and most of the rest are cleaners.

Archived