Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

Just an update for anyone wondering. I made a call today and there still is a freeze in all RTO hiring, and no hiring planned, but my source said there is a chance if there is a real need they could start hiring soon. I would assume that would only take place if there are a lot more retirements than expected since they did have massive service cuts. Since many of the cuts were made in June after the school year ended, and while many people beiging taking their vacations, we should see the real need for Subway and bus service starting in September when everyone's schedule's go back to normal. Also, the the promotional conductor list only consisted of about 25% Station Agents and most of the rest are cleaners.

September/October is the latest rumor for next classes, and this rumor has both T/O and C/R classes starting around that time. But like I said it's a rumor and subject to change, and nothing is set in stone yet. Will be interesting to see what happens. This rumor made its way to me, but there is no rumored class size, so to everyone out there don't ask cuz I don't know...

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
September/October is the latest rumor for next classes, and this rumor has both T/O and C/R classes starting around that time. But like I said it's a rumor and subject to change, and nothing is set in stone yet. Will be interesting to see what happens. This rumor made its way to me, but there is no rumored class size, so to everyone out there don't ask cuz I don't know...

The September to December range makes the most sense because now they have the layoffs and service cuts completed. October the new T/O list comes in, and then they would need conductors to replace the promotionals. They also would need to start the training quickly because T/O training in the B division is 6 months, and I think it's 4 months in the A, so the people promoted will be out of commission from passenger service for a while. Plus they haven't had a conductor class since January, so they will soon need to replace some of those retirees even with the cuts and the added OT.

I know the person who is actually working on the list, and she made no mention of any plans to hire, so if they do end up hiring in that range, I would say it's going to be more toward November/December rather than September October since September is 2 weeks away. They probably also want to see how much ridership will be this fall before they decide to take on more employees.

Frasier crane/Subway Guy....thanks so much for all the insight into what you heard.......I have a quick question about who gets hired first.....I have heard that all these people that get laid off are to be called before any list out there......I have a whole family that are in the Police department who told me this.....many posts on the forum refer to them as lost jobs making way for us on the list to get in but my family keeps telling me "anyone who gets laid off in the city jobs will be called back first before any promotion or standard list.....Can anyone clarify if this is true for MTA as well?

thanks

Frasier crane/Subway Guy....thanks so much for all the insight into what you heard.......I have a quick question about who gets hired first.....I have heard that all these people that get laid off are to be called before any list out there......I have a whole family that are in the Police department who told me this.....many posts on the forum refer to them as lost jobs making way for us on the list to get in but my family keeps telling me "anyone who gets laid off in the city jobs will be called back first before any promotion or standard list.....Can anyone clarify if this is true for MTA as well?

thanks

Two things you have to remember Nextstop is 1 Transit technically is not a city job like FDNY and NYPD, and 2 The MTA is infamous for doing what they aren't supposed to. I actually asked the question about the layoffs when I called which is how I found out that about a quarter of the promotionals to conductor were Station Agents. She was thrown back a bit when I asked her exactly what you're asking. She first said her supervisor would know better, but then she said because they were put on a preferred list, they are "supposed" (I'm quoting supposed because we are dealing with the MTA here) to be promoted first before an O/C list person gets called. I then brought up the question how can they be promoted when they are not technically current employees? Wouldn't they have to be employees to be promoted in the first place? She said what would have to happen then is that the TA would have to reinstate them as S/A's again first, and then promote them.

Honestly, I don't see the TA doing this because why layoff someone to save money, only to hire them back a few weeks or months later at top pay when if you want to be evil and save money, you try to hire new employees at a much lower pay rate? You aren't saving much if you bring back a laid off employee. You are dealing with the MTA.

Now this is purely just my gut feeling, so don't take it as fact, but I think the TA will figure out a way around the preferred list and try to promote as few of them as possible with ways like saying they called, but couldn't reach the employee, or maybe send letters out with a meeting date so close to the day they mail out the letters that they have no time to get there for it. For both cases they could say, "hey, we tried, but couldn't reach you, so we went past you on the list. The last person hired on the C/R list was #112 (out of what was the total 445). Out of those 112, only half were hired, so if that trend were to continue, then out of the 333 left on the promotional, up to 166 could be hired. Remember, the TA can also use the laid off worker's record to keep from promoting them. Just because they are on a preferred list, it does not guarantee that they will be hired when you're dealing with the MTA. It's now mainly a wait and see since the MTA sometimes does things or changes things at the absolute last minute.

thanks for the info PC...I think the RTO will hire in Oct with the new OC List for TOs and classes starting then of course thats just my gut feeling and a lil hope as well because im on the list for TO :P

If they hire from the T/O list starting in October, it would be the promotional T/O list first which has I think 811 people on it before they go to the O/C list.

If they hire from the T/O list starting in October, it would be the promotional T/O list first which has I think 811 people on it before they go to the O/C list.

sorry thanks for the correction i meant the Promo List which I think they will do

• 5 months later...
The sad part is that the cr list was established for promotions about a year ago and only

112 were called out of 445 eligibles. 25% of the list and cr is a high turnover title. Very grim outlook for cr and to

I know this is an old comment, but why does conductor have a high turnover rate? Is it because they take promotions or quit the MTA?

Aside from bumping a flatlined thread, why is a question about conductors being asked when the topic is the train operator exam?
.....someone didn't listen to the announcement "STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS PLEASE". KEPT GETTING HIS HEAD STUCK.B)

Archived