Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I bet the Hunter College question will be on the protest block. I'm going to attend. I answered Upper West Side since it asked where the NEAREST neighborhood is. Then again too LIC is near as well

If you know it's on the east side, why would you answer west? If it's in a neighborhood its "closest" to that neighborhood. When people ask a T/O for directions they're going to ask directions to where they want to go, not the next neighborhood over from where they want to go. You have to think of these questions and "what are they trying to test me on" to get them otherwise you will confuse yourself.

Part of it is just some of the questions/answers are worded poorly but that's cuz they're written by suits not by RTO or schoolcar.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nobody here has mentioned anything about attending the protest review session. you MUST send out your request for an invitation postmarked by next Saturday!

"If you wish to request an appointment to attend the Protest Review Session for the examination represented by your "Candidate's Record of Answers" on the reverse side of this sheet, simply fill-out the request slip below. Detach the request slip and mail it along with a self-addressed stamped legal size envelope, postmarked no later than one week following the date of the regular test. Requests to attend the Protest Review Session are mailed to: PROTEST REVIEW SESSION, Department of Citywide Administrative Services, Bowling Green Station, P.O. Box 974, New York, NY, 10274-0974, Exam Title, Exam Number. (Remember to include a self-addressed stamped envelope)."

so basically they're not gonna pay postage for your invitation so you gotta stamp the 2nd envelope yourself and address it to yourself in the destination portion. the protest review session will be held the 5th Wednesday after the exam (should be July 8th), 2 days after they post the answers online

so does anyone know the answer to the one about running a red light? there were 2 good choices. one said something about the brakes will be applied if the train operator runs a red and the other one said the brakes will be applied when the train runs over the arm thingy. which one was it??? both sounded right to me

The train will only be tripped if it runs a red light while the trip arm is up. That other answer, if you pay attention to how it's worded, is incorrect. The way they worded it was that the train would be tripped by the trip arm regardless if it's up or down simply by passing over it.

the last 2 questions about the track diagram for session#2..i put the first train is going straight and the second was open-close-close-close

The first track diagram, the train is diverging left. The second diagram, was open-close-open-close I believe.

My first post, so a BIG THANK YOU to the guys who took the time to help out the test takers. I felt better about taking the test after reading the board.

And a special thank you to the guys who said, yes its easy, but take your time, you have to score high. I saw a few guys race thru the test to get out early. The test was easy but it was easy to screw up a couple which could kill your chances.

So here is my 'whadjagetfur' question.

On the schedule sheet they gave us, reporting time was always 15 minutes before your train left the station. They told us you get 15 minutes to 'read the bulliten board'.

So they ask you what's the LATEST a certain train crew could leave the station. The choice was exactly 15 minutes after the start of the shift or 17 minutes after the start of the shift.

I went for the 15 minute answer, but since they said what is the LATEST, I thought 17 minutes later might be right. It never said ONLY 15 minutes later or NO MORE THAN 15 minutes later, so it was a bit confusing.

Any thoughts? Good luck to all.

i chose the 15 minute answer. If they give you a report time thats what time you're supposed to be there...you get a 15 minute grace period thats to get you set to leave so at the end of that 15 minute grace period you should be all set and already leaving. Thats how i looked at it. Two minutes later I'd think you'd be considered delayed.

The test was pretty easy, only question I wasnt sure was about which cars do you put a break on on a grade or something like that. Alot of reading small amount of problem solving. I took the test around guy r brewer in some junior highschoo...I got there 45 minutes before startime and the line was about 3 blocks long.

The test was easy if you paid attention and went over it twice. At worst I got 1 or 2 wrong. Anybody taking the T/O open competative, don't expect to be called up for 4 years if at all. The T/O open competative test is the biggest scam on the planet. Unless you get a near perfect score, don't expect to be called because so many conductors want out from conductor position, they take the TO exam, and promotions get called up first. I got a 100 on the c/r test since I already have worked as a conductor before back in 2006, so I am expecting that job, but unless I got a 100 on T/O as well, I am NOT holding my breath to be called up as a T/O. That's the reality guys.

I took my exam @ JHS 008 in Queens. I fine the exam was a little tricky at first, but I know I did fine on it. Who would put JFK Airport being in Brooklyn as there anwser...it's in Queens!!!! That was a give away... Is there anyone that took the Bus Operator exam in April of 2008, and got a notice for the BOSS written assessment for this Thusday. Let me know!!!

we posted some of our answer sheets up it was only to compare our answers i hope when i matched mine to others it kept looking like i got 15 wrong thats like an 80 or 79 on the exam if thats the outcome i can foget about the t/o job oh just have to wait for the real answers to come out.and im glad i got the b/o job to fall back on i dont think the t/o exam was that easy :(

we posted some of our answer sheets up it was only to compare our answers i hope when i matched mine to others it kept looking like i got 15 wrong thats like an 80 or 79 on the exam if thats the outcome i can foget about the t/o job oh just have to wait for the real answers to come out.and im glad i got the b/o job to fall back on i dont think the t/o exam was that easy :(

It's pointless without the proposed answer keys. For all you know, it could be the users you compared it to were wrong and you were right.

The first track diagram, the train is diverging left. The second diagram, was open-close-open-close I believe.

I am not sure if you took the same test as I did but the first diagram shows the switch as open so the train would be going straight.

I found the test to be pretty decent, not too hard, not too easy. I think I screwed up in the math section. I saw some girl next to me bubble in the answers downwards instead of going across like 1,2,3,4,5, etc...

I found the test to be pretty decent, not too hard, not too easy. I think I screwed up in the math section. I saw some girl next to me bubble in the answers downwards instead of going across like 1,2,3,4,5, etc...

My scantron test sheet was downwards as well. They randomize it so it kind of makes it harder to cheat.

don't expect to be called up for 4 years if at all. The T/O open competative test is the biggest scam on the planet. Unless you get a near perfect score, don't expect to be called because so many conductors want out from conductor position, they take the TO exam, and promotions get called up first. That's the reality guys.

I dont think thats accurate at all. Just because alot of conductors took the test doesnt mean they passed. Not to insult anyone but some of them are not the brightests bulbs in the set. I doubt it will take four years to get a call back for someone who scores high on the test. The higher the score the higher on the list and Im sure after calling the promos, they will weed out alot of people who failed, scored low, cant pass a drug test/medical or people who may no longer be interested or available after a few years of time. I have had family members take the test in the past and get called any where from 1-1/2 to 2 1/2 years tops. SO I doubt 4 years will be the waiting time. I think you are just being a bit negative about it.

12-12 simply means Disorderly Passengers/Customers. You could have a 12-12 on the train, the platform, the booth area, etc.

As far as the question goes, the answer is definitely to call it in as "passengers on the tracks." You cannot call it in as "disorderly passengers" because you cannot tell from afar whether they are being disorderly or not, nor can you tell if they are aware of the rule which forbids them to be there in the first place.

I was told a long time ago that the 'Order or Priority' of what to report is based on the 'danger level' involved in the situations presented.. People on tracks pulls rank..

I was told a long time ago that the 'Order or Priority' of what to report is based on the 'danger level' involved in the situations presented.. People on tracks pulls rank..

From what I remember one of the codes was unauthorized persons on tracks, I would agree that this would be the correct answer as disorderly conduct really pertains to people acting disorderly on the platform or trains.

Anybody taking the T/O open competative, don't expect to be called up for 4 years if at all. The T/O open competative test is the biggest scam on the planet. Unless you get a near perfect score, don't expect to be called because so many conductors want out from conductor position, they take the TO exam, and promotions get called up first.

How is the test a scam? In the year 2001 they hired 278 T/O's from the open competetive test that was given Jan. 2000. This is one year as an example.

Like I said before if you get at least a 94 on the test you should eventually get called. Yes it will probably take 3-5 to get called from the open competetive test though.

Alot of C/R's don't want the job because of the ridiculously slow movement of seniority compared to there title so they take and pass the test go to school car for a very easy 6 months and then eventually go back to C/R before the year is up.

How is the test a scam? In the year 2001 they hired 278 T/O's from the open competetive test that was given Jan. 2000. This is one year as an example.

Like I said before if you get at least a 94 on the test you should eventually get called. Yes it will probably take 3-5 to get called from the open competetive test though.

Alot of C/R's don't want the job because of the ridiculously slow movement of seniority compared to there title so they take and pass the test go to school car for a very easy 6 months and then eventually go back to C/R before the year is up.

I've wanted this chance since I was (6) years old. A few more years of waiting wont kill me. I just want to get the call.

the other choice was CONEY ISLAND :mad: - New Yorkers don't bother to visit there??? :confused::(

liberty was the right answer tho

nope rather go to six flags (lol). People that live here take alot of our landmarks for granted...when was the last time you really apreciated 42nd street. I dont know about you but when I'm down there I'm to busy yelling at the tourist standing in the middle of the crosswalk with a map looking up.

i agree. first time taking the test and found it extremely easy. the only question that hit me in head was the one about how many cars can i fit i certain tracks are in a yard are filled 75% and 50%. hope everybody passes and gets the call.

Too lazy to read all the posts here, but they really changed this exam. Those are schoolcar questions for C/R's and T/Os they asked. We only had one question (about train lengths), that would be schoolcar question. They really are trying to weed out people, or make as many fail as possible. I think it's to weed out, cause they keep firing newbies who seem to forget to follow the rules and regulations at times.....

Archived