Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

A few questions for those who are now working for the MTA.

Where do you report for 'school car'? Is it the school in Brooklyn around Ave U and 86th st?

Do newbies get stuck doing midnites ( I hate midnights)

Are elevated lines more desireable and harder to get than subway lines.?Seems the air is better upstairs.

Is the school really 6 months?

On average, how many hours of an 8 hour tour are you actually operating a train?

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you report for 'school car'? Is it the school in Brooklyn around Ave U and 86th st?

Do newbies get stuck doing midnites ( I hate midnights)

Are elevated lines more desireable and harder to get than subway lines.?Seems the air is better upstairs.

Is the school really 6 months?

On average, how many hours of an 8 hour tour are you actually operating a train?

I'll answer these in order:

The first 2 or 3 days will be at the school you refer to then you will start a tour of the entire system. Different place everyday, you must learn the whole division that you will be working in. Your group will have a "home" base but that doesn't mean anything.

When you are finished with school car there is a really good chance that you will be on the p.m.s (1200-2159) or midnights (2200-359) unless you are one of the first 2 or 3 people in your class. The times I listed are the times that your jobs will START between.

What lines are desirable go more by how much money the jobs on the line pay, how much cab time, and where the terminal is located than anything else.

School car is 6 months 5 days a week for 8 hours a day for the B division and about 3 months for the A.

If I had to guess how much time a day you will actually be operating a train I would say maybe a half hour a day.

It doesn't seem like they have that many trains at that school near 86th st and AVe U. Do you operate a train there? Or are you actually operating somewhere on the system? The class size of the train class is probably 50 people?

If they call 250+ people per year,that means they call like 1,250 people over five years. Does that mean only 1250 people score over 94+ on the exam? I guess veterans are lucky since they get to add 10 points to the score.

I am not sure if you took the same test as I did but the first diagram shows the switch as open so the train would be going straight.

Yeah,that is what I answered also. Straight. To the poster who said he is going to protest the Hunter College question,good luck with that,lol.

It doesn't seem like they have that many trains at that school near 86th st and AVe U. Do you operate a train there? Or are you actually operating somewhere on the system? The class size of the train class is probably 50 people?

If they call 250+ people per year,that means they call like 1,250 people over five years. Does that mean only 1250 people score over 94+ on the exam? I guess veterans are lucky since they get to add 10 points to the score.

You will do NO operating at the school. When you start operating trains it will be in yards then progressing to down the main line.

Class sizes vary Alex L posting in a thread exactly how many the next few classes will have. They don't hire 250+ a year, they hire what they need Alex also stated how many will be hired this year.

Veterans aren't lucky they earned those credits serving this country. Alot of vets don't use there credit until later because they get 15 points if they save it for a promotional exam.

(2)(5)Dam and I thought the Statue of Liberty was on Rikers Island, It was not that bad of a exam. Considering there was a lot of common sense stuff on it, so now we wait. I wonder how many people took the exam considering the huge turn out of peeple.

(2)(5)Dam and I thought the Statue of Liberty was on Rikers Island, It was not that bad of a exam. Considering there was a lot of common sense stuff on it, so now we wait. I wonder how many people took the exam considering the huge turn out of peeple.

Are you serious? I thought everyone who lives in this city knows Rikers Island is the prison island.

nope rather go to six flags (lol). People that live here take alot of our landmarks for granted...when was the last time you really apreciated 42nd street. I dont know about you but when I'm down there I'm to busy yelling at the tourist standing in the middle of the crosswalk with a map looking up.

I take 42nd Street for granted nowadays because it is not the 42nd st I remember growing up as a kid. Gone are all the old style theatres that were all run down and the bombed out buildings and the seedy stuff and in is all the flashing lights and chain restaurants of gentrification. Not my 42nd Street.

Part of the charm of Coney Island, at least for me, and at least up until this year (i don't know what it will be like this summer and I haven't gone down yet) is that all the old stuff is still there and it has the same "entertainment style" now as it did many years ago and that never changed. It's like a real carnival atmosphere still instead of selling out, having a bunch of cartoon characters walking around, and being so super "family friendly" that it gets boring etc.

I take 42nd Street for granted nowadays because it is not the 42nd st I remember growing up as a kid. Gone are all the old style theatres that were all run down and the bombed out buildings and the seedy stuff and in is all the flashing lights and chain restaurants of gentrification. Not my 42nd Street.
translated to: Drew is sad he didn't get a chance to check out the peepshows :(:cool:

translated to: Drew is sad he didn't get a chance to check out the peepshows :(:cool:

Well pick your choice: a beat up "red light district" that used to be home to grand theatres and has CHARACTER?

Or a bunch of bland overpriced identical tourist traps that are all chains and there's nothing unique about? Applebee's on 42nd Street is still Applebee's...

:(

I've wanted this chance since I was (6) years old. A few more years of waiting wont kill me. I just want to get the call.

Hi guys I'm new in the forum I took the exam at jhs 194 @10:00 am, tht was not hard not easy I'm agreed that was common sense, I had experience as a train operator back in Argentina (where I'm from) 9 years before I came to USA, and there are severals procedures are the same, anyway I like the spirit this guy is putting on, and lets keep hope...see you all.:(

Hahahahaha!!!! You can still get them in some of those adult video stores.....

Well pick your choice: a beat up "red light district" that used to be home to grand theatres and has CHARACTER?

Or a bunch of bland overpriced identical tourist traps that are all chains and there's nothing unique about? Applebee's on 42nd Street is still Applebee's...

:(

I want the beat up red light district, with fresh young sin of the flesh (young women), dancing for me........

Thanks for all that info, its much appreciated.

My question about hours operating the train is when you actually doing the job. I know it varies, but how many hours on the average does a T/O actually operate the train?

In the A Division it seems 50min to 1+ hr each way on the (1)(3)(4)(6), about 1 hr and 1/2+ on the (2) and (5), and about 1/2hr+ on the 7. Overnight about 2hrs on the (2) each way, and the (4) is around 15-20 minutes longer. Some runs have two round trips, some three. The two has two round trips, cause it's long.....

Thanks!

The moderator doesnt think comparing answers is worth the time.

He may be right. But on another thread, a PM answer key was posted.

So for what its worth, here's my AM answers.

You can usually reach a pretty good key with a few test takers. I think a lot of us want to have some idea how we did.

1 b

2 d

3 c

4 b

5 c

6 c

7 c

8 c

9 c

10 d

11 a

12 b

13 b

14 b

15 c

16 c

17 d

18 d

19 b

20 c

21 d

22 a

23 d

24c

25c

26a

27d

28c

29b

30b

31d

32a

33d

34d

35a

36d

37d

38c

39d

40d

41a

42b

43c

44c

45c

46c

47c

48b

49a

50c

51b

52c

53b

54a

55a

56a

57b

58d

59c

60d

61c

62b

63d

64d

65b

66c

67d

68d

69b

70b

71d

72a

73c

74d

75c

76b

77b

78d

79d

80d

Thanks!

You can usually reach a pretty good key with a few test takers. I think a lot of us want to have some idea how we did.

1 b

2 d

3 c

4 b

5 c

6 c

7 c

8 c

9 c

10 d

11 a

12 b

13 b

14 b

15 c

16 c

17 d

18 d

19 b

20 c

21 d

22 a

23 d

24c

25c

26a

27d

28c

29b

30b

31d

32a

33d

34d

35a

36d

37d

38c

39d

40d

41a

42b

43c

44c

45c

46c

47c

48b

49a

50c

51b

52c

53b

54a

55a

56a

57b

58d

59c

60d

61c

62b

63d

64d

65b

66c

67d

68d

69b

70b

71d

72a

73c

74d

75c

76b

77b

78d

79d

80d

Damn son, how do you remember all that?

Thanks!

Then they should wait for a month for the proposed answer key to be posted on the DCAS website and then compare their keys then. Until then it's a waste of time and space.

Checking your answers with mine, either you got a lot wrong, or I did. I know I did great, so I think you got a lot wrong. We shall see in 5 weeks.

Thanks!

1 b

2 d

3 c

4 b

5 c

6 c

7 c(;)

8 c

9 c

10 d

11 a

12 b

13 b

14 b

15 c

16 c(:o

17 d

18 d

19 b

20 c

21 d

22 a

23 d©

24c

25c

26a©

27d

28c

29b

30b

31d

32a

33d©

34d

35a

36d

37d

38c

39d

40d

41a

42b

43c(A)

44c

45c

46c

47c

48b(D)

49a

50c

51b

52c

53b

54a

55a

56a

57b

58d

59c

60d

61c

62b

63d

64d

65b

66c

67d

68d

69b

70b

71d

72a

73c

74d

75c

76b

77b

78d©

79d

80d

Then they should wait for a month for the proposed answer key to be posted on the DCAS website and then compare their keys then. Until then it's a waste of time and space.

I agree completely. When DCAS publishes their official answer key in a few weeks, you will be able to determine and compare your scores. It is great to say now "how did you answer the question that asked....." However, comparing your answer keys at this time is pointless as it has been noted that they used two different scantron answer forms. Until then, you are running around in circles and worrying needlessly.

Exactly putting answer keys down is POINTLESS. But like mentioned comparing answers to questions is good for now.

I think I did good but we know how that goes. I believe I got maybe 3 wrong but when it comes to check out the answer key it will prob be more but I hope not.

The question with putting on brakes in a yard with the 1st car up against the bumper. I put car 9 10 with the brakes on because it said the LEAD cars which would be those two when leaving the yard. Anybody get that answer?

Yea some of those questions are tricky. Thats y im saying I prob got more wrong than I think. What do you guys think will be a legimate score to def be called in the future??? I was thinking like 7 wrong answer which would be like a 92 anything under that your prob porked.....thoughts????

There is really no way to know. Just because someone scores high does not mean they will get the job, they could fail their pre-employment screening or turn down the job when the called or various other reasons, which would then let the MTA keep going down to list to who knows what score. Like Jah says, it's the list number that matters and not the score.

Archived