Progress on new South Ferry?

R1Toasty

It's a shame they had to get rid of the loop station. I think service on all (MTA) subway trains move faster. You don't have to wait for the other train to cross over, and you don't have to wait for the lineup as much. They should at least turn the loop into a routine stop for the train of many colors or something.

If they go to city hall, they can go to south ferry.

- Andy

I dunno about all of that, i just know that the old city hall station is closed and the museum trips go there, so i don't see why they wouldn't be able to have trips to south ferry. As far as i know they are the only 2 stations with an extreme curve. Would be interesting for people to see both once south ferry is closed, especially with the unique platform furniture. Could turn into another time capsule if they do it right.

- Andy

I dunno about all of that, i just know that the old city hall station is closed and the museum trips go there, so i don't see why they wouldn't be able to have trips to south ferry. As far as i know they are the only 2 stations with an extreme curve. Would be interesting for people to see both once south ferry is closed, especially with the unique platform furniture. Could turn into another time capsule if they do it right.

- Andy

Indeed, although SF isn't exactly the architectural marvel that City Hall is I can see it happening. I know that SF was originally a stop on the (4)(5)(6) a while ago, when (6)s used to run down there (late nights I think), but it's been a long time since then.

Indeed, although SF isn't exactly the architectural marvel that City Hall is I can see it happening. I know that SF was originally a stop on the (4)(5)(6) a while ago, when (6)s used to run down there (late nights I think), but it's been a long time since then.

It is unique though, in the layout, the platform furniture, the curve, and the design of the entrance etc.

- Andy

- Andy

I got on the (6) train and it went around the loop. It scared me stiff how fast the train was going on a curve like that.

I got on the (6) train and it went around the loop. It scared me stiff how fast the train was going on a curve like that.

Well, unlike with other stations, the curved platform is actually far away enough form the cars that they don't need the speed restriction that they might have if going past a straight or partly curved platform. The cars are heavy enough that they won't come off the track unless the track is loose. These combined make for some slightly thrilling rides i'd guess. B)

. Andy

If you want a nice slow ride through, get on the first or second car. The TO typically doesn't go too fast when he's going through the station, it takes 14 seconds to go through City Hall in the back of the train and 29 in the front, it's much nicer in the front, just check out the speed difference below.

vs

When I am out of school, I get on the (6) around the loop. It was thrilling because of the speed.

Oh yeah and the videos are excellent.

Thanks, the intrigue of City Hall sparked my little mission to get a nice video of it for youtube.

• 3 weeks later...
No R142s cannot stop at the south ferry loop station. There big ass doors wont line up right with the gap fillers why do you think during G.Os 142s always skip south ferry???

And due to track connections the (5) cannot stop at the new station ethier. But 142s are cleared to stop there though.

I'm sorry this is almost a month late, but I just joined.

Here's a pic of R142s with doors open at South Ferry, which disproves your point, trainfan22.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?31949

No R142s cannot stop at the south ferry loop station. There big ass doors wont line up right with the gap fillers why do you think during G.Os 142s always skip south ferry???

And due to track connections the (5) cannot stop at the new station ethier. But 142s are cleared to stop there though.

Yes R142's can and have stopped at South Ferry...

When i was in the A Div working on the (2) and (5) Lines there was a G.O when they did it..

TWO TIMES...

Im not going to say why they stopped doing it..

Yes R142's can and have stopped at South Ferry...

When i was in the A Div working on the (2) and (5) Lines there was a G.O when they did it..

TWO TIMES...

Im not going to say why they stopped doing it..

Maybe to preserve wheel flange?

- Andy

The R142 can stop at South Ferry. However, the platform is so far that it would be a huge gap (like the Long Island Railroad).

They have platform furniture that extends to fill 90% of the gap.

- Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Last night was the first time I rode the (6) through the loop and once we went past City Hall and just stopped I was just about scared you-know-what that maybe they were just leaving the train there. My girlfriend was not too pleased with me for that ride, hehehe.

Last night was the first time I rode the (6) through the loop and once we went past City Hall and just stopped I was just about scared you-know-what that maybe they were just leaving the train there. My girlfriend was not too pleased with me for that ride, hehehe.

Ha! There are layup tracks past City Hall, but you can't park a train on them from City Hall and they haven't been used for a while. But I've been on the (6) when it stops past City Hall, but it's just a signal... I just wish it would stop in City Hall, so I could get a better look around (out the window of course :D).

Ha! There are layup tracks past City Hall, but you can't park a train on them from City Hall and they haven't been used for a while. But I've been on the (6) when it stops past City Hall, but it's just a signal... I just wish it would stop in City Hall, so I could get a better look around (out the window of course :D).

Is riding through the loop allowed per transit rules? I specifically didn't go for the conductors car just in case they decided to kick me off.

Is riding through the loop allowed per transit rules? I specifically didn't go for the conductors car just in case they decided to kick me off.

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable for City Hall. The track was re-classed for the centennial celebration in 2004 to allow people to ride through the loop. If you notice, the announcement on the train says "the next stop will be Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall uptown platform" because of this change.

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable for City Hall. The track was re-classed for the centennial celebration in 2004 to allow people to ride through the loop. If you notice, the announcement on the train says "the next stop will be Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall uptown platform" because of this change.

Maybe i'll do it again soon now that I know to calm down, haha. If only the new cars had good railfan windows.

Just as much as photography without flash is. It's perfectly legal yet many think it's not and will try and get you for it.

Archived