Why lack of cheap clean affordable hotel rooms in NYC like Motel 6?

Shortline Bus

As someone who been to most of the US, and also to Canada, Mexico and Great Britian(London) i wonder why NYC does not have cheaper motels? I am not talking about the ones drug addcts/dealers and prostitutes/johns known as 'hot sheet' rooms stay at. They stay at $1,000 a night or more 5-star rooms as well.

I am talking about having more 'cheap hotel rooms' like Motel 6, Econo Lodge, etc. in the '5' boroughs directly?

When i go visit out of town such as Washington DC(ie Arlington, Va.)Boston (Braintree last stop on the "T' red line) Toronto(Don Mills Ontario) Chicago(O' Hare aiprort area)San Fransicso(Oakland on the Bart) London,

Phildelphia(Cherry Hill NJ area on Patco) etc. at end of their subway lines are reasonable priced motels/hotels under $100 a night.

In NYC, neighborhoods like Coney Island, Yankee Stadium area, Rockaway Park, Riverdale, Astoria Flushing (near Citifeld area by junk car lots on Nothern Blvd) and more would be great places to put these low cost hotels. They all over Long Island, Bergen/Hudson County in NJ and Stamford, Ct. areas.

They provide extra taxes/income to these nyc suburban towns so why cant those tourists travel an hour or more on MNRR/NJ Transit or LIRR?

I know the 'hot sheet rooms' already exists in places like the Village and Harlem areas in Manahttan and East New York in Brooklyn. In other words, why not more Motel 6's in the NYC boroughs.

An alternative imo to way overpriced hotels in Manhattan.

What you guys think?

There are a lot of cheap, yet relatively clean chain motels and hotels in Queens and Brooklyn, near the airports.

Unless things changed i think most of those motels/hotels in eastern brooklyn near Starret City and Queens near JFK are 'hot sheet' hotels that i mentioned before. Customers dont spend the whole nite usually they pay $50 or w/e the rate is for 2-3 hour stay and leave.

I am talking about national discount hotel chains like Motel 6, econo lodge etc. in nyc.

You say NYC and then mostly give examples in the suburbs of the other cities. There are cheap hotels in NYC suburbs as well. Look at NJ, LI, and CN.

I've stayed in Motel 6's and Econo Lodges and don't know why you'd even want them. They are often well below acceptable for me and I don't consider myself picky. The best cheap hotel is Best Western IMO.

You say NYC and then mostly give examples in the suburbs of the other cities. There are cheap hotels in NYC suburbs as well. Look at NJ, LI, and CN.

I've stayed in Motel 6's and Econo Lodges and don't know why you'd even want them. They are often well below acceptable for me and I don't consider myself picky. The best cheap hotel is Best Western IMO.

Good point bro. I was using Motel 6 as an example of cheap chain hotels as a whole but you right to state best western is the best of the cheap chain.

A few years around 2003, i was at an Motel 6 in Chicago just off O'hare and it was excellent imo. I also stayed at a best western in Cleveland and i had a blast.

On other hand Last thanksgiving weekend i stayed at a motel 6 in Cherry Hill NJ(outside Philly) and the toliet in bathroom was stuck filled with urine and feces from last customer. ouch.:tdown:

I mean NYC is so big yet there no best westerns, motel 6's etc in the 5 boros. In La near Downtown there are several best westerns/motel 6's etc.

The thing about these hotels is that they are franchised. Some are good and some are not so good.

In general LA hotels aren't as nice as you would find in other cities. They don't have much parking or you have to pay a lot for parking. And then the hotels are older, and compared to other places ridiculously expensive. It's probably the same and even worse for NYC. I think that whatever formula they use to decide whether or not the hotels will make money just doesn't work for urban areas. Cheaper motels usually depend on lots of space and lots of free parking.

Also, I can say as a traveler that when I'm on the road I tend to try and avoid staying inside cities. I always try and make it past NYC, past DC, past Chicago, etc. Because of traffic city hotels aren't always the best option for people traveling through. Maybe that's part of it.

The thing about these hotels is that they are franchised. Some are good and some are not so good.

In general LA hotels aren't as nice as you would find in other cities. They don't have much parking or you have to pay a lot for parking. And then the hotels are older, and compared to other places ridiculously expensive. It's probably the same and even worse for NYC. I think that whatever formula they use to decide whether or not the hotels will make money just doesn't work for urban areas. Cheaper motels usually depend on lots of space and lots of free parking.

Also, I can say as a traveler that when I'm on the road I tend to try and avoid staying inside cities. I always try and make it past NYC, past DC, past Chicago, etc. Because of traffic city hotels aren't always the best option for people traveling through. Maybe that's part of it.

well said bro. When you visit and on budget i dont understand why you cant stay in brooklyn queens or si instead of nj or long island.

There are hostels & cheapie places all over the city. Holiday inn, days inn, etc etc.

If you'd like a list i could compile one.

- A

metsfan i made this thread because my parents and sister might be visiting me later this summer from california. i dont have enough room at my place so that why i am asking an alternative to rip off high rooms in manhattan:mad:.

Archived