Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Mofo 176

In Transit: The introduction of a closet railfan

Hello, NYC Transit Forums!

I'm finally going to start posting, as I've been lurking around here for some time now.

A little bit about myself:

I've always been found of railroads and subway systems since I was very young, when my mother used to take me with her downtown on the (4) and the (D). I don't know whether it was the complexity of the system, the diversity of rolling stock, the freedom of going anywhere in the biggest city in the world, the people, or whether if it was the subway's characteristic smell, but something had me hooked to the New York City Subway.

Growing up, I have also developed a love for technology and the sciences, especially medicine. Even with the time I spent learning about the body, I could never stay away from studying the Subway and Transit systems of the NY metro area, which seemed like a living creature itself, with each of the lines behaving like important blood vessels, while human blood vessels transport blood throughout the body to keep it alive, each Subway line transports people throughout the city to keep the city alive.

The Subway has become more to me than a means to get from one point to another. It has become my sanctuary, a place where I can clear my mind and forget about my own problems. Even when moving out of the city, I still maintained that the Subways was my home, and as I had a difficult time growing up, sometimes it literally was.

I never imagined leaving the city and the Subway, until four years ago, when I left for college. Having come from rough beginnings, leaving the city to go study Biology/Premed at Penn State was an opportunity to turn my life around.

During my time at State, I had discovered and gained much respect for Bus transit systems, as they were often on time and were interesting in their own unique ways.

Now, as a new graduate, I am getting ready to come back to the place where everything started for me. I know I have missed a lot of changes, but I have tried my best to keep up, and hopefully by the end of this week, I will be able to explore the Subways again, as I once did.

However, I will only be back in the city for about a month, as I start my medical education in Georgetown in July. I wish to use the little time I will have to get to know you guys, and hope to meet you in person. I would especially like to be involved if there is a NYCTF group going to attend a showing of Pelham 123.

I doubt my obsession with railroads, subways, buses, and other mass transit will subside anytime soon. When I leave to DC, I hope that I will still be able to contribute to this community, while discovering other systems, such as the WMATA Metro!

This is the first of many posts, and I hope to contribute to this community as much as I have taken from it.

Greetings!

If you ever get the chance, hit up hoboken terminal & newark penn station. Bring your camera(s)!

- A