Question about Green Lines and Queens Surface

Bracamonte

I noticed many people hates Green Lines Bus when it was running and people like Queens Surface more than any other PBL's. My question is why do you hate Green Lines a lot and why do you like Queens Surface the most?

From what I heard, they were the most nastiest employees, they were always late with their buses and that with the worst buses.

I noticed many people hates Green Lines Bus when it was running and people like Queens Surface more than any other PBL's. My question is why do you hate Green Lines a lot and why do you like Queens Surface the most?

I personally did NOT hate Green Lines because all though the maintenance sucked (proof below) Their TMCs were cool in the back. I also live right by the Q37. I like Queens Surface and Jamaica Bus Lines the most though because They had the best maintenance.

Most people hated the green lines when they existed because the buses were very old, poorly maintained and alot of the bus drivers were total bastards. THey would drive past people waiting all of the time and then laugh about it with people who were on the bus. When disabled people in wheel chairs would want to get on the bus they would get real nasty with them. I even remember a few bus drivers telling people in wheel chairs "its not my responsibility to help you on the bus and strap you in! you need to have someone with you!" One time this very obese lady was waiting for the bus when I was on the bus and the driver just drove right past her and said to me"she needs to walk more"

O boy we touched on something o.k first off I am from Queens surface and pal I don't hate Green lines for nothing if you ask me the only thing that separates us is our Unions Gl has ATU QSC we got TWU 100 now I can't understand why this would come up All of us at the old Private lines need to stick together we already got our problems with (MTA) But really Green lines is cool with me .(K)<R>(Q)(M)(1)(A):cool:

Queens Surface didn't have good maintenance. Their brakes often failed on hills, up to hour and a half waits during rush hour on lines like the Q25/34 and Q65. However a lot of their operators I've dealt with always had a good attitude. Green Lines was no good. In it's later days, I had to go Conduit and Rockaway blvd and the driver I asked for help looked at me, laughed and said "you want the Q6 but I'm the next one and I don't feel like leaving for 30 minutes". The next thing that happend about 6 Q6 buses pulled in and they all left 30 minutes later together, wow I was pissed!

I use to commute on Green lines and it was NOT as bad as people made it out to be. No, it wasn't perfect but it wasn't that bad. I only remeber only one A Hole driver that worked the Q40 in the AM, other than that I don't remember any mean drivers. The Orions that Green line had were maintain good by them, kept clean and nice looking and ungovered!!! Their RTS were dirty but they would smoke any NYCT Nova RTS in a race.

Check out this old news

Disgusted Bus Rider Stages Impromptu Protest

By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express

July 1, 2003

NEW YORK, NEW YORK--When he left home Thursday morning, Anthony Trocchia had no intention of becoming the center of a media event.

He just wanted to buy some books.

But when bus after bus came by with no working wheelchair lift, Trocchia, who is president of Disabled in Action of Metropolitan New York, decided it was time to take action.

He parked his electric wheelchair in front of the fourth Green Line bus that had a broken lift -- and refused to move.

As the bus sat idle at the corner of Queens Boulevard and Jamaica Avenue, Trocchia pulled out his cell phone and called newspapers and television stations to report his act of civil disobedience.

Several members of the Queens Independent Living Center, which is across the street from the bus stop, heard about Trocchia's impromptu protest. Soon he was joined by two blind people and five people in wheelchairs from the center.

"I didn't plan on doing this," Trocchia explained. "We're just looking for the basic accommodations."

The traffic at the busy intersection was soon snarled as drivers and passersby stopped to see what all the commotion was about.

Over the next two and a half hours Trocchia and his cohorts were visited by several reporters -- even a news helicopter hovered overhead at one point.

"I was out here trying to take the bus," Trocchia told WNBC-TV. "Four buses came with broken lifts. I finally got disgusted and decided to block the bus."

When a Green Bus Lines executive asked for Trocchia's cooperation, telling him that three buses with working lifts were waiting for him, Trocchia refused.

"I want to bring embarrassment to this company that is long overdue," he told one reporter.

"This has been going on a long time. It's not just a matter of getting on a bus now and being whisked away. Now we have a chance to get it on the news."

When a police sergeant asked him to move the protest onto the sidewalk, Trocchia said he would stay in the street as long as news photographers were still arriving.

Then the police told the bus driver to back the bus up and steer around the protesters, but they quickly maneuvered their wheelchairs to keep it from moving.

Trocchia finally stopped his demonstration when he felt he had made his point.

Green Bus Lines is one of several private companies that provides bus service in the city. Company officials blamed the city for not maintaining lifts on the buses that the city owns.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 requires buses to have working wheelchair lifts.

The company issued an apology to Trocchia for any inconvenience it may have caused him.

I dont know how you bus drivers do it. I mean I just took the T/O test and hopefully Ill be a T/O but I couldnt imagine being a B/O with all the crazy NYC drivers, traffic and crazy people cramped up in buses almost flowing outside of the front door when its packed during rush hour. I would lose my hair! No wonder why Ralph Cramden was stressed so much! lol So many times morons come on the bus and the ones who say " DOES ANYONE HAVE CHANGE OF A DOLLAR?" its like cmon you knew you had to take the bus, you couldnt get a metro card or change? they hold up the bus and then theres all the other crazyness that comes with that job.... Really.. Hats off to you B/Os!

It's all about attitude, I enjoy my job. I feel that driving a bus gives me the greatest happines in life, however I don't like my employer. The(MTA)appears to stimy all public service to suit it own whim, but I like buses I enjoy driving them more(NYCT)

I hated Green Lines, The Only Green Line Route that I liked was the Q9A, The Driver that drove the Q9A was very respectful and Nice to the Passengers, The rest of the Routes The Drivers were very nasty, One tim I decided to take the Q6 home because I was on supthin Bivd and Did not want to walk all the way to Parsons and Archer, So when I put My student card in the machine the Machine said card read error, Then I tried explaining to the Drvier that the Machine was not working properly, Insted of letting me on, She Told me and theis girl because she had the same problem to get the F$#$k off the Bus, And Mind you I was only 12 years old at that time, So I told the driver you did have to talk to me like that I am only a Minor, I got so Angry that I curse her out and told her that she needs to get her Big A%^ Fired,So I wounded up walking to the Q111/113 and The driver just told me to get on and I went home, That's why I like Jamaica Buses Better, They have respect unlike Queens Surface and Green Lines.

• 3 weeks later...

ive lived in Rockaway for 19 years. In that time ive met many cool drivers from the Arverne facility( Now known as Far Rockaway Depot). yeah, the service sucked. The buses were old as hell! i gotta give matainace credit for being able to keep those POS' on the road! LMAO! the drivers on the QM17, Q22 and Q35 under Green Lines were my favorites! always had a good laugh and chat with them. I only see a few of them still there under MTA. And even though the buses and service are way better, i do miss a lot of those drivers! (Miss ya George!!! You was my GL homie!!!!!!)

Archived